What's new

Dyson Vacuums really suck

So my wife left the vacuum out and didn't tell me why... she thought she had vacuumed up a sock.

I took the vacuum apart (remove canister, remove some tubing) and discovered two full length pencils, a crayon, and the beater brush full of hair.

So pencils and crayon are removed with ease. Beater brush removed, all hair cut off with scissors and removed, then with many words of vulgarity it was reinstalled as getting the beater brush through the belt is always a chore of some difficulty.

Vacuum is as good as new (and it is over 15 years old).

You did a good job. And it is over 15 years old.
because of how this one has worked I bought one of their stick vacuums (refurbished to save money) and have used it for cleaning lint from the dryer, cleaning the corners where walls meet the floor, sucking up live black widow spiders, and many other vacuuming uses.

We're a multi Dyson household as well. Amazing for what they are.
I bought my wife their hairdryer, and my God it is equally amazing... dry hair, in half the time.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
We own a Dyson canister vacuum (10 years), stick vacuum (1 year), hair dryer (4 years) and fan/heater (5 years). All work incredibly well. Great build quality and design. Highly recommended.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
We had a Dyson Animal upright from before they came out with the whole ball thing. It must be at least 15 years old, if not more. Worked great until recently. Apparently dropping the Dyson down a full flight of stairs is a bit more than it could take. The vaccum literally snapped in half. So what did I do? Went out and bought the new Dyson stick vaccum. I didnt get a full size this time because the vaccum destruction occured during a downsizing house move, and we are now apartment dwellers. And soon to be nomads living in our RV. So the stick is perfect for us now.

Rainbow for us. 25+ years old and not a lick of trouble. Additional plus is that you never have a loss of suction due to filter plugging. worth every penny!

So my wife left the vacuum out and didn't tell me why... she thought she had vacuumed up a sock.

I took the vacuum apart (remove canister, remove some tubing) and discovered two full length pencils, a crayon, and the beater brush full of hair.

So pencils and crayon are removed with ease. Beater brush removed, all hair cut off with scissors and removed, then with many words of vulgarity it was reinstalled as getting the beater brush through the belt is always a chore of some difficulty.

Vacuum is as good as new (and it is over 15 years old).
Amen. Ive got an old Dyson that is about 15 years old too and it still works as good as it did the day that I bought it. Mine is the cheapie yellow one too.

I still have my Nilfisk GS90, 39 years old. Works still good.
Only the wheels are not that good anymore, but that does not matter, my appartment is not so big so I don't have to carry it much to do the apartment

I saw the subject and quickly jumped in. I thought quality control must have gone down. You totally got me with the subject. I bought mine in 2001 or 2002, have dogs, use it weekly and the only maintenance I’ve done is empty the dust bin. Good to know you got yours going.

Reactions: abj
I saw the subject and quickly jumped in. I thought quality control must have gone down. You totally got me with the subject. I bought mine in 2001 or 2002, have dogs, use it weekly and the only maintenance I’ve done is empty the dust bin. Good to know you got yours going.

I love mine... the only drawback is when my wife or son runs over an object that should have been picked up and put away (legos.... yup dig through the dust bin to find them, pens, pencils, socks, loose coins, and much more).

Reactions: abj
Since the title was perfect, and not in a good way, I decided to resurrect this thread rather than start a new one. Forgive my rant, but if you’re thinking about a Dyson, my experience with the company may be something to consider. My wife and I have been married for over 50 years. We’ve had all types of vacuums, and our $600+ Dyson V11 is the worst vacuum experience we’ve ever had. Our previous vac, a Shark Lift-Away (UV810), bought for about 1/3rd the price is still going strong after 5 years. The only cons to the Shark are that I do have to keep on top of cutting my wife’s hair off the roller, and like any vac at our age, it can be hard on the back. The pros are that it works well, and the filters and rollers are easily cleaned (or cheaply replaced) when needed.

We sold our house that had wall-to-wall carpet upstairs, and a finished carpeted basement, near the end of 2020, and “downsized” to an apartment (a regret saved for another occasion). After the move, we bought a Dyson V11 stick at Costco, thinking it would be easier on our backs for kitchen, bathrooms, hallways, and the living (tv) room with flooring and area rug. Although the V11 didn’t work so great in carpeted areas, it did work well in those areas we needed it most. We still had to use the Shark for carpeted areas.

2.5 months after purchase, the V11 High Torque head stops spinning. I clean out the vac & filters, check for blockages and still nothing. The smaller, pet/stair brush works fine. In checking youtube vids, the high-torque head seems to be a common problem. I call Dyson and I’m told that part is out of stock, and expected to be in stock in a week. I’ll get an email. 3 weeks later and still no response from Dyson, I see that the part is in stock for $111 on the Dyson web site. I call Dyson and I’m told that the part is still out of stock and not expected for 3 more weeks. I tell them that Dyson has it listed in stock for sale, why do I have to wait for warranty replacement. I even put it in my cart and got as far as completing a paypal order. I ask him why can I BUY today, but have to wait 3 more weeks under warranty. He says he’ll check and call back. He never does. I asked about a refund but told refunds are only for 30 days.

For the money it cost, it would have been cheaper to hire a cleaning service. I’d never buy or recommend a DYSON.

Problem 1, you buy stuff at Costco.
From manufacturer experience I can tell you products sold at Costco, Sam's, bjs and the like are designed for THOSE shelves and are NOT the same quality you'll find at other retailers. They are cheaper, meaning poor quality and low price. Period. People pay for the privilege. LOFL!
Their buyers will dive into a bill of material and pick apart piece by piece. That could be plastic...Why don't you source this part cheaper from China?.. don't include batteries. If they can cut a half cent, they will. YES, half cents are on the table, I've negotiated to a 1/10 of a cent, literally, with big box stores.

Problem 1, you buy stuff at Costco.
From manufacturer experience I can tell you products sold at Costco, Sam's, bjs and the like are designed for THOSE shelves and are NOT the same quality you'll find at other retailers. They are cheaper, meaning poor quality and low price. Period. People pay for the privilege. LOFL!
Their buyers will dive into a bill of material and pick apart piece by piece. That could be plastic...Why don't you source this part cheaper from China?.. don't include batteries. If they can cut a half cent, they will. YES, half cents are on the table, I've negotiated to a 1/10 of a cent, literally, with big box stores.

Have not had a problem with Costco until now, but lesson learned. I'm considering buying another unit at a different Costco, and returning the one part that doesn't work.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
We had an Electrolux torpedo shape canister from the early 1960's or maybe earlier. I would guess my mother used it for about 40 years, and I'm sure it had to be repaired several times over the years, but now pretty much everything is made to be disposable after a much shorter time.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Have not had a problem with Costco until now, but lesson learned. I'm considering buying another unit at a different Costco, and returning the one part that doesn't work.
I have bought several items at Costco (NPlfd) and when they stopped working, I took them back for an exchange or money back. They never asked a question. There were at least three electric heating blankets and one humidifier, and one de-humidifier.....

Top Bottom