What's new

Dyson v. Oreck

To make it worse, I drove to my sales calls in a green and white 1978 Mercury Bobcat that leaked oil on peoples' driveways.

A couple months ago, my boss had a Kirby, or maybe another door-to-door vacuum brand, sales-gal visit her house while she was out bowling and her husband was there by himself. I guess the gal's manager dropped her off at my boss' house and then went to get gas in the van or something. Boss' husband had no interest in a vacuum (and knew my boss is also the boss of the house), so he let the gal do her spiel while she waited for the van to come back.

Problem was, the van broke down and her ride didn't show up for 3 - 4 hours. So boss' husband was home alone with the young (early 20's, he would be in his 50's) salesgirl for several hours as my boss was out bowling. Well, it made for an entertaining story when she told it :wink:

I'm a single guy without any pets living in an apartment - that means my Eureka does just fine. Mom used to have a nice Kenmore canister till my sister blew up the motor on who knows what. Now she goes through the cheaper vacs every couple years.

I thought the Filter Queen "sold itself" as they say. However, it always took a little suggestive power to get them to close and the other fence sitters required more than I was willing to push. I quit when my boss went to jail for bouncing checks.

The old Filter Queens were fun! My boss wrote bad checks, got run out of one state, and has moved around. He was fine...he just forgot to pay people...like his salesmen.

HAHAHAHAHAHA

in fact, Consumer reports puts the dyson somewhere around the middle, with some rather negative things said about it. Oreck didn't even make the ratings, but didn't fare well in previous ratings.

miele is good,very quiet when operating and pulls a lot out of the carpet.we have 4 cats and 3 dogs and a mother in law in the house.

miele is good,very quiet when operating and pulls a lot out of the carpet.we have 4 cats and 3 dogs and a mother in law in the house.

I love the performance and quiet operation of our S4 , but cripes the price of bags and attachments! We did find an after market source for bags that's half price but this is still nearly twice the cost of typical major brand replacement bags. And the powered carpet head is so pricey we are seriously considering a separate vacuum for carpets (we use a generic turbo brush but it's not that effective. I modded an old Kenmore head to plug in to a wall outlet separately, but it's a PITA to operate).

We've had a Oreck for about 10 years. It has always done a good job. Next time around I would probably go for a Dyson based on the bag less feature more than anything plus the availability is so good.

After loads of research, we ended up getting the Eureka Boss SmartVac "Pet Lover" for about $150.

So far so good. Great bagged vacuum with HEPA filtered discharge air.

At the end of the day we just didn't think they Dyson price was justified since we could buy three of these for the same price.

We have had the Dyson Animal for over 5 years and we love it immensely. Not a single problem. We would buy any Dyson product without hesitation.

We have had the Dyson Animal for over 5 years and we love it immensely. Not a single problem. We would buy any Dyson product without hesitation.

Me too. I recently purchased the DC17 Asthma and Allergy (like the Animal), and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. The only negative review I've ever read about it was from some screwy lady who plowed into her leather chair with her Dyson, tore the chair, and blamed Dyson:001_rolle.

Don

Just my $0.02 but Meile is the vac I have. Very quiet and a great all around performer. I love the canaster vacuums because you can attach a wand and get thoe hard to reach cobwebs. I use it to clean my car too.

It does cost a lot but so does wet shaving :lol:

OldSaw

The wife's investment
After loads of research, we ended up getting the Eureka Boss SmartVac "Pet Lover" for about $150.

So far so good. Great bagged vacuum with HEPA filtered discharge air.

At the end of the day we just didn't think they Dyson price was justified since we could buy three of these for the same price.

Wow! Only eight months to decide. :lol: My hat's off to you. I bet you save a lot of money this way. How long to decide on major purchases, like a car or house?

I'm not going to complain about our Oreck XL. Like most good things in life, it was free. I found it by the trash heap at our old apartment complex with a broken belt. I took it to the Oreck store down the street and had them service it for $40. Haven't had a problem with it since.

If I had the opportunity to acquire a Dyson at a reasonable price, I would have no qualms about returning the Oreck to where I found it. I do have to say it is lighter and better than the Hoover we had before.

iRobot Roomba 500 series. Awesome awesome awesome.

+1

I have been using the 560 for a year now. There have been a couple of common issues with the 500 series product line, but that seems to have been corrected now. The original ones produced were prone to the side brush breaking and the main brushes would stop functioning. Redesigned parts have taken care of that.

Wow! Only eight months to decide. :lol: My hat's off to you. I bet you save a lot of money this way. How long to decide on major purchases, like a car or house?

:lol:

Very atypical I can assure you. We didn't really need a new vacuum so it was pretty easy to put off.

Resurrecting a rather old thread to give an update - The Eureka Boss is still going strong. We've since supplemented with a robot vaccum too - but for $150, I'd rate the Eureka an excellent purchase.

Top Bottom