What's new

Dylan Farnham razors ?

Hi all,

While I started straight razor shaving relatively recently, I've already developed a very unhealthy interest in razors who are well above my material means :) A week ago it was 'real' Damascus (Wootz) razors, which caused me to learn as much as possible about history of Damascus steel and efforts to recreate it in modern times.

Today I accidentally run into a page of Dylan Farnham razors on classicshaving.com.
Many many dozens of razors (if not hundreds) which by they look and description are more museum items (on my opinion) than razors , prices above 3500$ , everything , really everything is sold out, nothing available.

I decided to check if there is any reviews which describes how these razor shave, (I think 3500$ razor should cut hairs by its mere presence in the same room with a billionaire who owns it :) ), but I was surprised to find very little, if any reviews, that in comparison with other artisan makers, like Tim Zowata, Alex Jacques , Max Sprecher and others where many reviews available. May be people who bought them are reluctant to publish , since they feel uncomfortable spending such huge amount on them ? But other artisan razors are not cheap either, to say the least

If anyone actually own AND USES these razors? I guess the answer is positive, since they are all sold out. May be people buying it for collections not for actual shaving ? Will be interesting to see objective ( as much as possible ) opinion from someone who really uses/used it how they shave (they are candy candy for eyes and death for wallets, that's for sure).

Last edited:
I've seen his work online. I like the aesthetics. I think they are more like art pieces that you can shave with. To be clear: they certainly look like they are 100% razors in the sense of geometry. But many of them also have lots of places where foam and water can crawl in to, so maybe they are not the most convenient razors to use regularly?

Even so I am a big fan of his work. I absolutely love his sense of aesthetics. I would have one if I could afford to. I think part of the reason his prices are so high is that his work draws customers with $$$$ who love the artful aspect. I mean I have made 2000$ razors so I get where those prices are coming from.

The owner of Dylan's 'Stone age' is, or used to be, a member here, I don't remember his username. That razor floored me! As was said above his work is art that you could shave with, but probably wouldn't on very many occasions.

Bruno and Victor, thanks for your replies. Those are indeed, pieces of art first and razors second, IMHO and I guess the art is the main reason why people buying them. I assume these razors shave good, maybe even excellent but one of thESE 3500$ razors doesn't shave 5 times better then 700$ custom one.

A $700 custom won't shave better than a $15 genco off of ebay properly honed and stropped either... You're paying for other things when you buy customs or more desirable, rarer antique blades.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If I had the money I would buy one. Art exists to be appreciated. Lol, the sincerest proof of appreciation is cash, and all artists want to not be starving artists!

So,where, in cash equivalent, does point of diminishing return start? I am not talking about luck to get something valuable from ebay for a few dollars, but about average consensus value. 15$? 40$?

Regarding, Dylan Farnham razors, yes they are stricking, and had I had free 3500$ I would have bought one on the spot. I was simply interested to know if this price tag add anything in term of shaving functionality.

Sorry not my cup of tea. Did you see his most expensive was $15K!!! I understand they have a masculine look and a stone-age aesthetic going on but I can't see why they are so expensive compared to other artisans. I guess it's all personal taste.

As far as value goes I'd say around the $200 mark. There was a recent survey on the forum and most agreed around that price.

This one is simply a sculpture made of steel which can shave. A sculpture made of bronze can be used to hammer nails and a marble sculpture can be used as,a weight

If one can make razor which is sold for such a sum of money, I think he can and should create beautiful jewelry without any auxillary functions, just to be weared and shown in public.

BTW, below is a link to 30k razor

FarmerTan

Andy Warhol painted a soup can.

Picasso's stuff before he did abstract was good/great, but not much different than anyone else did.

Art is worth what you paid for it.

I've seen paintings done by animals. Not sure if it's art....but if anyone is interested I'm sure I could teach my cats to paint.

Andy Warhol painted a soup can.

Picasso's stuff before he did abstract was good/great, but not much different than anyone else did.

Art is worth what you paid for it.

I've seen paintings done by animals. Not sure if it's art....but if anyone is interested I'm sure I could teach my cats to paint.

Also it is important that for every picasso, there are dozens of others doing the exact same thing who don't get scooped up at the right point by the right person.

The same is true for most of the makers who are still in this game. My razors are worth what they cost because people see they get sold for that price so that is how they are valued. It's perfectly circular reasoning.

To answer thevquestion about diminishing returns, id say that has to be at the pricepoint of vintage razors in reasonable condition.

Or for new razors, the price point of a plain dovo

It's a complicated question... You are not likely to get improved shave quality with a ramping price assuming the grinds are all to your preference and it is honed well, but you do get the enjoyment of paying more and owning a piece of artistry or history.. Or both... Or just the satisfaction of having something custom made for you in all respects. It becomes a personal question whether the latter stuff is worth it to you...

It's like buying a car. If you care about driving qualities, mileage, reliability, and value for money then depending on your preferences and priorities, you will end up with Opel, Volkswagen, Ford, or whatever.

But the choice for Ferrari or Lamborghini is not based on those qualities. They'll get you from A to B just as fast and just as reliably. But you pay more to do it in style, and if you can spend money on a Ferrari you don't care about mileage.

FarmerTan

Also it is important that for every picasso, there are dozens of others doing the exact same thing who don't get scooped up at the right point by the right person.

The same is true for most of the makers who are still in this game. My razors are worth what they cost because people see they get sold for that price so that is how they are valued. It's perfectly circular reasoning.

To answer thevquestion about diminishing returns, id say that has to be at the pricepoint of vintage razors in reasonable condition.

Or for new razors, the price point of a plain dovo
It's like buying a car. If you care about driving qualities, mileage, reliability, and value for money then depending on your preferences and priorities, you will end up with Opel, Volkswagen, Ford, or whatever.

But the choice for Ferrari or Lamborghini is not based on those qualities. They'll get you from A to B just as fast and just as reliably. But you pay more to do it in style, and if you can spend money on a Ferrari you don't care about mileage.
Perfect responses! And please understand: I was not saying that your art is not of value! Yours is much closer to a Rolls Royce than a Ford.

Any person who creates is beyond a dollar value. Thank you for being someone who tries to leave this place more beautiful than you found it!

Perfect responses! And please understand: I was not saying that your art is not of value! Yours is much closer to a Rolls Royce than a Ford.

Any person who creates is beyond a dollar value. Thank you for being someone who tries to leave this place more beautiful than you found it!

Thank you. No worries I got that. It is my hope that my work is still valued long after I am gone.
If you look at my work, then especially with the more specialized pieces you'll also see that I often use fossil materials, or one of a kind things.

There are actually 2 reasons for this. The first is simply because I like it. My motto is: if something is worth making, it's worth going all the way. Of course when a customer asks for G10, they get G10. But things I make as my own pet projects will generally always be special. The 2nd is my youngest daughter. She prefers if I use materials from animals that have gone extinct on their own :)

This one is simply a sculpture made of steel which can shave. A sculpture made of bronze can be used to hammer nails and a marble sculpture can be used as,a weight

If one can make razor which is sold for such a sum of money, I think he can and should create beautiful jewelry without any auxillary functions, just to be weared and shown in public.

BTW, below is a link to 30k razor

those scales are hideously proportioned to my taste, and the blade is blandly unimpressive beyond the patterning. As far as I’m concerned, that’s nothing more than an exercise in exclusivity beyond any other factors.

Top Bottom