What's new

Dutch (Camp) Oven - What recipe to christen it with?

This past weekend I bought something I've wanted for a while, a Dutch oven, or camp oven if you prefer. It's one of those cast iron jobs with three legs and a flat, rimmed lid so you can stack coals above and below it to cook what lies within. IT also has a handle suitable for hanging it above a campfire.

It's an inexpensive Camp Chef brand with what appears to be typical factory seasoning. I'll go through a couple rounds of seasoning it during the coming week. That part of it I'm comfortable with.

Next weekend I'll be smoking a pork butt and some chickens on the El Cheapo Brinkman smoker. I'm looking for suggestions on what I can cook in the Dutch oven as a side dish or desert. Any suggestions out there?

That could be the idea of the day. I would be thinking in terms of a straberry/rhubarb cobbler if I were to try that.

Last edited:
Cinnamon rolls!

$homer-simpson-drooling.gif

Last edited:
Whenever we went on Boy Scout campouts and brought a new dutch oven, the first recipe that was almost always cooked was Chapple - or a fantastic mix of cherry and apple pie. I can still remember those smells over an open campfire.

Also consider popcorn. Very easy to do. Put corn oil into hot Dutch oven, about 1/8" deep. Let it heat and put in 2-3 kernels to test. When they pop, oil is hot enough. Put in enough PC to pretty much cover bottom of oven, put lid on, and pop away. Keep an ear on it so it doesn't burn.

Dump into paper grocery bag and salt and enjoy!

Right now I'm kind of looking for something simple. A recipe that I like is called a chocolate cherry dump cake. Toss a chocolate cake mix into the bottom of foil lined dutch oven, stir in a can of soda pop, and plop a can of cherry pie filling on top. I forget the time and temp requirements, but will check the recipe again before proceeding.

I've also seriously been looking at a strawbery rhubarb crisp or crumble. I figure using any oven ready recipe from a cook book.

Peach or apple cobbler. Get 2 cans of choice fruit, a pack of vanilla cake mix and a small can of evaporated mild. Pull all ingredients in the oven and stir. When the cake mix is completely mixed. Cut a stick of butter in half and place on the top of the mix. Place some coals on top and bottom. Rotate the dutch oven every 5 min 1/4 of a turn. And turn the lid 1/4 turn at the same time in opposite direction. Keeps from having a hot spot. Looks odd till its done. Bit it taste great!!! If you choose this recipe let me know what ya think.

We used to make a cobbler similar to the previous.
Couple cans of peaches, or what ever fruit was on sale. Drain the juice in a bowl, dump the fruit in the bottom of the oven, mix the juice with cheap cake mix and pour on top with some sticks of butter sprinkle a little cinnamon. once the cake is nice and brown and the fruit is bubbly then serve.

Top Bottom