What's new

Durham duplex safety razor??

I've been thinking of try out a Durham Duplex safety razor. I've read there are new blades that are compatible but wondered what blades are available and what people with experience think of them.

Also if you want to share pictures of your Durhams that is very welcome and encouraged here. Any model safety razor or straight razor style. I am thinking I'd like both.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I'll be following this tread closely -- I've heard really good things about these razors!

I've only used mine a few times but I got the best results from Personna carpet cutter blades from Home Depot. They come in a small blister pack of 10 or in a box of 100. The 100 pack has individually wrapped blades and runs something like $15.00 if I remember right. It's not a real smooth shave but they work pretty good for my beard and my skin. Other carpet cutter blades I've tried, Stanley and Harbor Frieght were pure torture for me.

20190329_224305.jpg

@Beachman1957 I read about the carpet cutter blades today after my anitial post. Some guys say they strop them. If I'm not wrong they are a carbon steel blade.

They are indeed carbon steel. Personna also makes these as a pathology blade that's supposed to be better. I've never tried those so I don't know if they're stainless or not. Carbon works for me so I just haven't gotten around to trying anything else.

They are indeed carbon steel. Personna also makes these as a pathology blade that's supposed to be better. I've never tried those so I don't know if they're stainless or not. Carbon works for me so I just haven't gotten around to trying anything else.
See my post above

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I don't have a razor yet but I'm pretty confident that I will get one. A few blades to try would be appropriated. Are they the pathology blades? Which Durham do you have?

I don't have a razor yet but I'm pretty confident that I will get one. A few blades to try would be appropriated. Are they the pathology blades? Which Durham do you have?
Pathology. I have three of the safety razor style , the Dubarry and the two Dorset types.

Pathology. I have three of the safety razor style , the Dubarry and the two Dorset types.

My interest in them is fairly new. Pictures speak a thousand words. And everyone here likes good pictures of beautiful razors.

The three amigos.
proxy.php

Thanks for the picture. They are beautiful especially the middle and left. Do you use the back side of those at all when shaving? The angle of the handle looks like you would only use the one side but it has guard bars on both sides.

I'm a huge fan of the folding Durham with the Personna Pathology blades. Super smooth shave with an almost zero percent chance of getting cut.
proxy.php

If you do decide to get one, try to get a set that comes with the stripped attachment (upper right thingy). It lets you shave without the guard, and lets you strop the blade to get a lot more life out of it while maintaining buttery smooth shaves.
proxy.php

I'm a huge fan of the folding Durham with the Personna Pathology blades. Super smooth shave with an almost zero percent chance of getting cut.
proxy.php

If you do decide to get one, try to get a set that comes with the stripped attachment (upper right thingy). It lets you shave without the guard, and lets you strop the blade to get a lot more life out of it while maintaining buttery smooth shaves.
proxy.php

Thank you for sharing pictures of your Durham's. I have my eye on a set with a hard case that includes the adapter for stropping and has the scales like the bottom one in your picture of your two razors. I really like the looks of that. I wish I could find a set like that with the the orange-ish red-ish scales.

Thank you for sharing pictures of your Durham's. I have my eye on a set with a hard case that includes the adapter for stropping and has the scales like the bottom one in your picture of your two razors. I really like the looks of that.
That's the British version. The U.S. version is the top one. For me, the U.S. version is better than the one you prefer. More substantial, less plastic-ey, and the contoured shape feels better in my hands.

That's the British version. The U.S. version is the top one. For me, the U.S. version is better than the one you prefer. More substantial, less plastic-ey, and the contoured shape feels better in my hands.

Interesting. I figured if I wanted to I could replace the scales with custom ones. I've made some in the past.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Excellent collection!! :a14: :a14: :a14:

Take a look here for some further info. The Ingersoll stropping tool is a must if you want to get the full use of the blades, unless you have a Duplex with the stropping attachment.

Top Bottom