What's new

Duration of the manufacture of Super-Speed 'red tip' and 'blue tip'. Five years only

I had a lot of Super-Speeds "Heavy" (red tip) and "Light" (blue tip) in my hands and as allways I type the codes into my date-code table.
I notice that these both razors were produced from introduction in 1955 (date code A) to 1959 (E) only.
My question: has got or seen someone these razors with a date code after 1959? For example dated with a F?

Thanks in advance

I have never seen one after 1959 either, but it makes perfect sense given the Fatboy's introduction to the mass market in 1959. I know there were 1958's as well, but the market really wasn't hit full force with the 195 Adjustables until 1959. The success of the adjustable razors meant Gillette could eliminate the light weight Blue Tips and the heavy weight Red Tips from their offering.

I have never seen one after 1959 either, but it makes perfect sense given the Fatboy's introduction to the mass market in 1959. I know there were 1958's as well, but the market really wasn't hit full force with the 195 Adjustables until 1959. The success of the adjustable razors meant Gillette could eliminate the light weight Blue Tips and the heavy weight Red Tips from their offering.

That can be a good explanation why Gillette finished the production of Blue and Red Tips in 1959. Thank you.

After this time the Super Speed were regulated to the back sheld and the Adjustables became Gillette's Flagship razor.

It seems the eBay seller with "furniture" in his name sold a blue tip Gillette yesterday with a date code of F-1, 1960.

I wonder if they continued to make some of them, limited production, for markets where the fatboy wasn't widely accepted? I'm thinking poorer places like Mexico?

Top Bottom