What's new

Durability of aluminum razors?

IMG_0190.JPG
So what's the lifespan of an aluminum razor? I have a vintage Feather No.1 that I am pretty sure could be my be all end all razor. Dating is difficult, but research says late 1950's

Very light. Wonderful feedback. BBS in one pass with touch ups.

Supposedly a copy of the Gillette tech. I need to look in to that. I'm experiencing a funny insecurity. Need backup.

The threads may be a bit softer so don't over tighten it, but other than the normal care you should take of a DE I don't think you have much to worry about.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Aluminum is a very durable metal. I'd say it will last a long time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

+1 on don't over tighten it. I would also add mineral oil to the head screw or Petrolatum Jelly. This should keep the head screw lasting forever. I have seen on Ebay what soap can do to the head screw.

I think the fact that it's over 50 yrs old kind of says it all.

The age is deceptive. It was NOS from a member in Japan. I've not seen another like it. The closest is the 100-1 series from the early 60's on the Bay for outrageous money. Technically it's only seen 4 months of use, in the mix of 5 other razors. 4 vintage Gillettes, and a Feather portable. I had high hopes for the portable. Stainless, from 2006, not unobtainum, but it's not the same.

Common wisdom is that Feather razors are copies of the Gillette Tech, and it certainly looks like a ball end. I will have to try a few, and find out. I could always copy this one. Previous life's in jewelry manufacture and repair, and machine shops give me the knowledge. Never cast aluminum, but dought it's any different than brass, gold, or silver.

I do limit assembly/dissasembly. Will add the drop of oil.

What is the danger of Dawn or any soap with aluminum? Sounds odd.

From what I could find Dawn contains chlorine which can affect aluminum in the long run and weaken it. I don't think it's that much of a concern for a razor unless you soak in very long, but rather be safe than sorry.

Aluminum does actually oxidize. The oxidation forms a kind of protective layer on it preventing the rest from also oxidizing. Anodizing is basically a hard layer of this oxidation. The head of that razor should be chrome plated / lacquered so that's not really an area of concern, but the threads may be. Just clean it after use and don't store it wet and it should be fine.

Yep, Dawn is a multi-valent surfactant (I used to make it) and a surprisingly short soak, like 30 minutes, will have it attacking it.

Yep, Dawn is a multi-valent surfactant (I used to make it) and a surprisingly short soak, like 30 minutes, will have it attacking it.

Good to know. Learn something new everyday.

The razor does have a bit of oxidation on the bottom of the base plate. Can scratch it off with a fingernail. I do give a 5 minute bath in isopropyl alcohol after use. I may be inadvertently heightening the natural electrolytic reaction between stainless (blade) and aluminum. May have to reconsider that practice.

Top Bottom