What's new

Dunhill is back

Scandinavian Tobacco Group A/S acquires premium pipe tobacco brands

From Pipes Magazine Forums:

UPDATE: Announced July 3rd. STG has acquired Dunhill pipe tobacco brands.

Leonard Wortzel at STG said they have the rights to all the brand names such as nightcap or 965 as well as the tin art. They just can't use the word "Dunhill". Stay tuned for more information as the true Dunhill blends are coming back.

"Essentially. We’ll be replacing “Dunhill” with another, existing brand. Can’t quite announce that name yet. Instead of “Dunhill” Nightcap, it will be “Brand X” Nightcap." -- Leonard

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I believe STG was the most recent manufacturer of the Dunhill blends.

Well I am happy for the news. I always felt this was the most logical resolution of the problem. STG well recieved versions of many Dunhill blends sold well and just because Dunhill suddenly divorced themselves from the tobacco branding biz shouldnt mean stg and fans should be punished lol.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The demise of Dunhill wasn’t all that bad, it turned me on to other brands like Cornell and Diehl and GL Pease. I’ve been saving MM 965 and Elizabethan for special occasions, it’ll be nice to restock.

The demise of Dunhill wasn’t all that bad, it turned me on to other brands like Cornell and Diehl and GL Pease. I’ve been saving MM 965 and Elizabethan for special occasions, it’ll be nice to restock.

I agree with this sentiment. The disappearance of Dunhill and Mcllelland for that matter, certainly opened me up to experiencing other tobaccos but certain blends stand as they are and nothing else is going to be the same, if its something you liked just as it was. I await with enthusiasm for my Dunhill favorites which happen to be Night Cap, 965, elizabethan and hopefully they will do Flake, Dark flake and Ye Olde Sign. I would be satisfied with Night cap and Elizabethan myself but I really like Ye Olde Sign as a no fuss Virginia based ribbon cut. its just easy and tasty for me.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
MacBaren HH line is worth exploring, if I do say so myself.

I don't quite understand why they bought the rights to some of the names like 965 or EMP. Who cares about the name of a tobacco? So, they will sell some new tobaccos under these labels. Why? I don't see why this is a good thing?! People want the STG versions of the Dunhill tobaccos back, not (necessarily) the names. The rights to the tobaccos (the recipes) still seem to belong to Dunhill. So, STG will have to create new tobacco blends (as Kohlhase & Kopp did already) that will have to differ quite a bit from their old (Dunhill licensed) ones to pass the strict EU laws.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don't quite understand why they bought the rights to some of the names like 965 or EMP. Who cares about the name of a tobacco? So, they will sell some new tobaccos under these labels. Why? I don't see why this is a good thing?! People want the STG versions of the Dunhill tobaccos back, not (necessarily) the names. The rights to the tobaccos (the recipes) still seem to belong to Dunhill. So, STG will have to create new tobacco blends (as Kohlhase & Kopp did already) that will have to differ quite a bit from their old (Dunhill licensed) ones to pass the strict EU laws.

I think it will be a lot easier to sell a tin of “Original Nightcap” than a tin of “Eveninghat that tastes like the old classic tobacco”.

Not to mention STG was already the blender for the last iteration of the Dunhill blends so we would have to assume it will be the same. After all the recipe is already known.

Not to mention STG was already the blender for the last iteration of the Dunhill blends so we would have to assume it will be the same. After all the recipe is already known.

But in the EU it's protected by law. Even if it's just too similar you have to get a license by the owner of the recipe. The owner is Dunhill Tobacco of London which is owned by BAT, and they revoked the licence for STG to use the recipes.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
But in the EU it's protected by law. Even if it's just too similar you have to get a license by the owner of the recipe. The owner is Dunhill Tobacco of London which is owned by BAT, and they revoked the licence for STG to use the recipes.

That is something interesting info. I guess time will tell how the new blends will compare. I haven’t read that angle before regarding the name vs. actual recipe used for the blend.

That's the thing over here. Remember Peterson moving their production from Kohlhase & Kopp (K&K) to Mac Baren? Mac Baren couldn't use the recipes, because they are owned by K&K. K&K still produces their Peterson's under different K&K owned labels. It's complicated in the EU ...

Have yet to try Dunhill Tobacco since i just recently got into smoking a pipe. Glad to hear they are going to be making more Nightcap as it gets great reviews. So far my favorites have been: Cult Blood Red Moon, and Stokebyes Pistachio.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Word on Facebook is STG won’t be releasing the renamed Dunhill blends in the United States.

Word on Facebook is STG won’t be releasing the renamed Dunhill blends in the United States.

I doubt if this is true. The reason for all the rumors is the USFDA "deeming" rule making the STG blends a "new", but that is false. These blends have been around for many decades and STG can prove it. All the blends that STG has made for Dunhill were made by STG before 2007. They will all grandfather.

Top Bottom