What's new

Dumping my keurig

Correct. You pour in cold water and you get a pot in 3 minutes but thats because of the already hot water in the reservoir.

It's also misleading to say that it brews coffee, it brews excellence :biggrin:

We use ours for coffee and tea, and probably run it 2-3 times a day. If you are a once a week coffee drinker it may not be the best option.

We are on our second Gevalia coffee maker, the first one lasted some 10 years, and we have now the second one. They are for 10-12 cups and have the timer function. They are free if you sign up for their coffee delivery, but you can cancel this and keep the maker. It is one of the better ones and reminds me of the ones we had in Germany.

+1
Our Gevalia maker is going on 8 years, and costs nothing except coffee delivery membership which we ditched years ago. I plan on getting another when this one dies.

Jeff

Correct. You pour in cold water and you get a pot in 3 minutes but thats because of the already hot water in the reservoir.

It's also misleading to say that it brews coffee, it brews excellence :biggrin:

We use ours for coffee and tea, and probably run it 2-3 times a day. If you are a once a week coffee drinker it may not be the best option.

Ahhhh - got it. That's alright with me....as long as it tastes good. Restaurants use Bunn so they must be pretty good.

I love it, if ours ever dies I will buy another. I have purchased units for family and friends as well. If you are a consistent coffee drinker you will really enjoy it.

and want to get a new coffee maker. I'm tired of paying that much for the stupid K-Kups. Can anybody recommend an electric coffee maker for normal ground coffee for say under $100? A timer would be great but that is all that is really needed. Oh and 10-12 cup capacity.

The brown truck delivered this on Friday afternoon - makes great coffee. I used my fair trade dark roast from Aldi and it tasted great.

http://www.amazon.com/BUNSTX-Velocity-10-Cup-Coffee-Brewer/dp/B00482MPRW

Before you kick the Keurig to the curb, I am just wondering where you've looked for k-cups? I've managed to snag some deals to "stock up" until the next, and if I need a filler in between, I get an 80 pack of the Newman's Own bold from Costco for $34. I've bought from Green Mountain directly, Keurig.com (which is the same, but has different deals), Amazon has some deals sometimes, and even Kohl's and JC Penney sell them. So get a 30% off Kohl's coupon and you can score some 30% off k-cups. There is also the "solo fill" version of the My k-cup that performs better in my opinion. It would at least save you from buying a new machine, but still doesn't allow you to make more than one cup.

With that said, I'd probably get a Bunn if I were to buy a new drip maker.

Before you kick the Keurig to the curb, I am just wondering where you've looked for k-cups? I've managed to snag some deals to "stock up" until the next, and if I need a filler in between, I get an 80 pack of the Newman's Own bold from Costco for $34. I've bought from Green Mountain directly, Keurig.com (which is the same, but has different deals), Amazon has some deals sometimes, and even Kohl's and JC Penney sell them. So get a 30% off Kohl's coupon and you can score some 30% off k-cups. There is also the "solo fill" version of the My k-cup that performs better in my opinion. It would at least save you from buying a new machine, but still doesn't allow you to make more than one cup.

With that said, I'd probably get a Bunn if I were to buy a new drip maker.

I gave the Keurig to my daughter who is moving into an apartment in May. The cost of the k-cups is what started me off - but until I got the Bunn I had forgotten how nice it is to have full pot made and not have make one cup at a time and keep adding water. On the weekends I can drink a pot or two everyday and at least 2 cups every morning on weekdays.

My 'dear beloved across the river' has bought one of those darnnation things. Tell me where the savings is, at 18 little cups for 12USD?
ME? (I hear groans coming, forgive me.)
One bag of Community Coffee 'x', 12 ounces, 3.59USD.
One Pyrex 2 cup measure, had so long, forgot USD.
One Melitta plastic drip cone, 4USD.
One pkg. 200 #2 paper filters, 2.59USD.
One coffee mug, again, had so long dot dot dot.
Cold Water filled 2 cup measure, at 4min35sec, 700 watt microwave oven, (AltonBrown superheated no boil).
Plastic drip filter cone, with paper filter filled with one 'scoop' measure, atop pre-heated coffee mug.
Empty water from cup, pour heated water over coffee, and taa-dah, morning cup. If 'seasoning' needed, you add that.
Total ritual time: 6 min. top.
Total amount of stated funds: 2.59, 4.oo, 3.59 = 9.18USD with capacity for 50 scoops from a single 12 oz. bag.
Keurig comparable cost of cups: 3 boxes of 18 cups, 35.85USD. (never mind 'footprint' space on counter.)
Adverse comparable cost with bag coffee vs Keurig 54 cups, brewing 200 scoops, 36.76USD. Total counter space two 4-inch square spaces, for cup, and 2-cup measure.

We have one at the station where I work, and while I wouldn't buy one for myself (and I'm loathe to buy the expensive cups just so I can have a cup on mornings when I work) I must say that it makes a very decent cup. That being said, I will stick to my Bunn drip maker. It's nearly as old as I am, and still makes ten cups of STRONG coffee in less than two minutes.

I don't know how people drink that kuerig stuff. I guess I am a coffee snob but it just tastes really chemical-y to me. We have them in the office and people bought the "my kcup" to bring their own coffee but I dunno, I think the coffee makers don't make a good cup of coffee. I think they are designed to push the coffee out too quickly and you don't get great flavor extraction.

We are on our second Gevalia coffee maker, the first one lasted some 10 years, and we have now the second one. They are for 10-12 cups and have the timer function. They are free if you sign up for their coffee delivery, but you can cancel this and keep the maker. It is one of the better ones and reminds me of the ones we had in Germany.

I used to have a mr. coffee drip or whatever and it died about eight years ago. I was bemoaning my lack of coffee at work and a nice coworker said she had just cleared out her recently-deceased MIL's house and they took her Gevalia coffee maker but didn't need it. She gave it to me. It makes a really good pot of coffee.

High K-Cup prices made me recently switch to a Solofill and I love it. But I only drink one, MAYBE two cups of coffee a day, so a single-cup brewing system makes sense for me.

I know this is 3 years old, but do they still offer the coffee maker with the subscription?

High K-Cup prices made me recently switch to a Solofill and I love it. But I only drink one, MAYBE two cups of coffee a day, so a single-cup brewing system makes sense for me.

OK, so I owe everyone on this forum an apology for this post. I had just bought my Solofill and was too excited about it to objectively judge the coffee it produced. After just two days and four cups of coffee, I had to find another way. The coffee just didn't taste right.

This morning I went back to making my coffee the way my Dad taught me ... pour over using a $3 Melitta. Exact same coffee I was using with the Solofill, but an absolute world of difference in taste.

To keep this alive (it's alive IT'S ALIVE...)

NewEgg has the Keurig k65 special edition for $109.99 today only from 3:00 - 6:00 PM (EST) it is a 3 hour price (or until sold out) so you will need to wait for the window to take advantage of it. It can be found on the street (other web offering) for not much more than this but this is pretty low for anyone on the fence about a Keurig

http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellShocker.aspx

If you go to the URL before or after the 3-6 PM window you will see another discounted offering as they rotate them in and out of this URL so only 3-9 for this one.

proxy.php

I was a holdout for a long time, used a French press for many many years.

but my wife loves the convenience of K cups. For $10 I bought a pack of 4 reusable k cup baskets. The Kuerig branded ones are crap, but these ones are awesome!

don't remember their name but they are an 'as seen in TV' thing.

I get made fun of so hard in our household because I really want a Keurig but they are 'wasteful' or something, which is why I am not allowed to get one. I think it is just a trend, but I swear I feel like the only person on earth who doesn't own a keurig.

Top Bottom