What's new

Dumping my keurig

and want to get a new coffee maker. I'm tired of paying that much for the stupid K-Kups. Can anybody recommend an electric coffee maker for normal ground coffee for say under $100? A timer would be great but that is all that is really needed. Oh and 10-12 cup capacity.

You couldn't drag be away from my Bunn coffee maker, I absolutely love it. Makes rich cups of coffee and a whole pot in 3 mins. No timer or other gadgets but you wont need it when you can get the full pot in just a couple minutes.

I love my Capresso MT 500. You can usually get a refurb directly from capresso for right about $100, or 1st in Coffee (linked below). In fact, i've bought 3 - mine, one for the in-laws and one for my Wife's sister. That way no matter where I travel, I have good coffee.

Yep - scheduled operating - thanks for the link - I like the idea of a thermo carafe and stainless steel interior.

A lot of the recent Braun's have a "water heater" type of operation, where they have to pre-heat the water or it takes 15 minutes to START brewing a pot. I don't like the idea of a coffee maker that has to remain on all day, keeping water hot, for home use.

A point for serious consideration.

A lot of the recent Braun's have a "water heater" type of operation, where they have to pre-heat the water or it takes 15 minutes to START brewing a pot. I don't like the idea of a coffee maker that has to remain on all day, keeping water hot, for home use.

A point for serious consideration.

Agreed....I like the idea of the Bunn that was posted making a pot in three minutes so a timer isn't even necessary.

I have one of the Bunn pour over machines. Ten cup model. They really are well made for consumer grade products. We have had three of them. My parents gave me and the wife an original eight cup model when we were married seventeen years ago. It finally gave up the ghost after about ten years of making three or for pots of coffee per day and countless pots of hot water during the holiday seasons. We bought the newer ten cup model(eight cupper was history) and I do not think it was as good. It lasted about five years. We went ahead and bought another and so far, it is holding up well.

I know the purists will tell you to use a French press and make it cup at a time. That is fine but I still like being able to make up a pot of coffee and store it in a stainless carafe for convenience. The one big downfall of the Bunn is the warmer plate. It is MUCH too hot to keep a pot of coffee on. Along with the oxidation from exposure to air, the coffee will become "cooked" tasting after awhile. I think this issue may be the genesis of the model with thermal stainless carafe which is what I would buy the next time.

We have switched over to freshly ground coffee and it makes a WORLD of difference. It is funny though. For every day use we have been quite happy with...Dunkin Donuts brand whole beans. It is light roast and has a nutty flavour I like quite well. The pre-ground does not taste as good to me. We use an old Mr. Coffee scoop and grind three heaping doses and it makes ten cups of perfectly fine coffee. And having instant hot water around all the time for tea and hot chocolate is beyond handy. Just use the cleaning tool on the drip spout a few times a year along with some white vinegar "brewings" two or three times a year to keep it clean.

Regards, Todd

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
We are on our second Gevalia coffee maker, the first one lasted some 10 years, and we have now the second one. They are for 10-12 cups and have the timer function. They are free if you sign up for their coffee delivery, but you can cancel this and keep the maker. It is one of the better ones and reminds me of the ones we had in Germany.

Have you tried using the "My Kcup" accessory that allows you to use your own coffee v. buying the Kcups...I don't really drink coffee that much, but my wife has been using her own grounds since we ran out of tue Kcups that came with the machine.

Good to see some serious, on-topic recommendations. I love that we don't have to jump all over him with "Dude use a French Press or do a pour-over, or at least buy a Technivorm!" :lol:

Do check back in and let us know what you end up with and how you like it.

Have you tried using the "My Kcup" accessory that allows you to use your own coffee v. buying the Kcups...I don't really drink coffee that much, but my wife has been using her own grounds since we ran out of tue Kcups that came with the machine.

+1 if you don't drink a lot of cups at a time or have long waits between cups this could be the way to go. I use this in my office Keurig so I know the coffee is fresh and doesn't have a burnt taste from sitting on a burner for 4 hours when I want a cup at noon.

and want to get a new coffee maker. I'm tired of paying that much for the stupid K-Kups. Can anybody recommend an electric coffee maker for normal ground coffee for say under $100? A timer would be great but that is all that is really needed. Oh and 10-12 cup capacity.

i ordered a Bunn this morning. It may not be "green" enough for some but if it can make a pot of coffee in three minutes from cold water that's good enough for me.

i ordered a Bunn this morning. It may not be "green" enough for some but if it can make a pot of coffee in three minutes from cold water that's good enough for me.

But it doesn't do that; you put cold water in, the built-in water heater kicks in, and 15 minutes later you can brew a pot in 3 minutes. As long as it's on, it'll maintain that heat - but to say it brews a pot from cold water in 3 minutes is a misunderstanding.

Top Bottom