What's new

Dummy Thicc GEM-style blades in stainless?

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Fellow GEManiacs, Micromatic fanbois, and enjoyers of antique SE goodness,

Do any of youse guys have leads on stainless 0.012” thick gem blades? The only site I found was Morganville, but they’re not taking orders at this time.

Bitteschoen y Domo origato

Pepper spray? Is that SE or DE?:scared:

Do you have a link? I wonder if they are scrapers and not shavers based on the thickness they seem a little thick for shaving.

thombrogan

Says “Use to slice out DNA bands from an agarose gel, for example” so I think they’d be suitable for hair.

Says “Use to slice out DNA bands from an agarose gel, for example” so I think they’d be suitable for hair.

That's normally what the shaving blades are used for, e.g. my sister-in-law used to use Astras for her lab work. The thin slicing seems to indicate that it's a 3 facet blade like the Ted Pellas.

I don't see the 0.012", unless that's what the #12 means. The fact that it's made in the USA makes me think they are likely Personna, like the Ted Pellas.

You might want to take a look around here Industrial Razor & Knife Blades - Razor Blade Supplier | The Razor Blade Company

thombrogan

I don't see the 0.012", unless that's what the #12 means.

I‘m making that assumption. They’re the only possibly 0.012” thick stainless GEM-style blades I’ve been able to find. All the 0.012” blades I found at razorbladeco and elsewhere have all been carbon.

Interesting, I would probably take the carbon because I find them smoother. Have you been able to contact the site to find out more about them and when they would be in stock?

thombrogan

Email sent on Friday and waiting for response. Since I rediscovered my RazoRock Hawk V3OC, I’m not in as much of a hurry as when I opened this thread.

Was hoping someone already had a source of the 0.012” thick stainless GEM-style blades and didn’t fear sharing it.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Interesting, I would probably take the carbon because I find them smoother. Have you been able to contact the site to find out more about them and when they would be in stock?
So carbon Gem type blades are still available? Decent longevity?

Interesting...

So carbon Gem type blades are still available? Decent longevity?

Interesting...

So it would seem. I have some PALs, Treets, and Blue Stars and they seem to last about as long as the SS PTFE coated versions. You just have to be a little more diligent with drying and storing them properly to avoid oxidation.

These look like the shaving blades on the site I linked earlier 62-0161 GEM Carbon Steel Extra Sharp Single Edge Blade | The Razor Blade Company

Just remember that if you are looking at that site the GEM blades that are 3 facet are suitable for shaving but 2 facet are industrial blades that are used for cutting or scrapping.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
So it would seem. I have some PALs, Treets, and Blue Stars and they seem to last about as long as the SS PTFE coated versions. You just have to be a little more diligent with drying and storing them properly to avoid oxidation.

These look like the shaving blades on the site I linked earlier 62-0161 GEM Carbon Steel Extra Sharp Single Edge Blade | The Razor Blade Company

Just remember that if you are looking at that site the GEM blades that are 3 facet are suitable for shaving but 2 facet are industrial blades that are used for cutting or scrapping.
Thanks for the info my friend! Going there now...

Edit: and for only $335 I can get FIVE THOUSAND blades!

I'm goin' in the SE razor blade bizness doggone!

I'm afraid I haven't been able to decipher the subject heading of this thread. But since you mention the Gem carbon steel blades, does anyone have any experience with or opinion on the PAL 62-0163 Extra Keen Blue Single Edge Blade, which has three facets, and is a subsidiary of ASR?

Thanks!

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with those. I do have carbon PAL blades but they aren't that specific type. For under $8/100 it's probably worth a try. If you contact the vendor they might be able to give you some more information as well.

Getting back to the original question, I have a pretty good collection of Personna catalogs. I haven’t checked every one, but as far as I know there are no Personna 0.12” stainless single-edge Gem-type blades, all the stainless Gem-type (with a spine) blades are 0.09”, all the 0.12 blades are carbon. My guess is that the Morganville listing is a typo.

In my preceding post, I should have said that I think that it is generally recognized that there is only one U.S. manufacturer of Gem-type 3-facet single edge blades suitable for shaving. That manufacturer is variously Personna, Gem, Treet, PAL, Accutec, and probably some more I can't think of. For convenience, I refer to it as Personna. If it is correct that they're made in the U.S., and made by Personna, then based on my catalogs these blades are either not 0.12" or not stainless steel.

I believe you are correct about the manufacturer and that is American Safety Razor (ASR) as posted by @BigSpender, and most of us are familiar with them as makers of Personna. Not surprisingly it seems that they were founded by Gem Cutlery and Ever-Ready, but I'm sure someone here on B&B has a lot more information.

You could be right about a typo for the blades. I couldn't find any reference to a 0.012" SS blade either.

Top Bottom