What's new

Dumb question about face-lathering tube cream

So I recently tried squeezing some cream onto my fingers and spreading it on my face then building the lather with a damp brush and adding water as needed. The layer of cream right after applying looks similar to what I get when using a stick but a more even layer. It also seems like I’m using less cream than when I apply the cream to the brush and building the lather that way. Seems to be working well for me

Over the past month I have abandoned my beautiful Captain's Choice aquamarine bowl, and have been face lathering my TOBS creams and hard soaps by loading my wet brush and creating the lather on my beard/face.

So...what is the technique for face lathering cream (like Tabac and Proraso) in a tube?...smear it on your face and lather with a wet brush?...squeeze a dollop onto the wet brush and face lather?

Curious about the methods you all use.

The answer is in the video here:

The answer is in the video here:

Thanks, I saw that the other day. Pretty amazing skills by the barber, and I was shocked by the amount of lather he got from that dab of cream.

Thanks, I saw that the other day. Pretty amazing skills by the barber, and I was shocked by the amount of lather he got from that dab of cream.

Today, I tried a dab that size of Castle Forbes,
with a synthetic brush and what I was sure was a little less water than I needed,
and I replicated the results.

I had gone through a tub of Taylor Bond Street very quickly,
a long time ago, and I put my creams away and went to soaps.
I didn't know what I was doing then, but now I do.

I believe that I can apply some of that technique to brush loading
and face lathering with soap as well. I've never been fast with soap,
but I think it's time to broaden a horizon.

A pea size amount of cream on each cheek (face only :D) and one under chin. Wet brush and face lather away. Dip the brush in the water as needed. Been doing that for over thirty years. I've also recently adopted the same technique with soaps, except soaps end up being the size of the brush I use after I load it.

Over the past month I have abandoned my beautiful Captain's Choice aquamarine bowl, and have been face lathering my TOBS creams and hard soaps by loading my wet brush and creating the lather on my beard/face.

So...what is the technique for face lathering cream (like Tabac and Proraso) in a tube?...smear it on your face and lather with a wet brush?...squeeze a dollop onto the wet brush and face lather?

Hi Gpjoe, See the instructions on the label of the vintage jar of Noxema shaving cream @malocchio posted in the thread via the link below. Cream was for the Barber Trade (4 pound jar!). Instructions were to massage in the cream and then lather it (I interpret as face lathering) for your shave. Plan to try this with one of my creams on my next shave. Thought, per your original post, that you would also be interested.

P.S. Will try this with my LEA Mentholata that is the closest thing I have to the medicated Noxema.

Hi Gpjoe, See the instructions on the label of the vintage jar of Noxema shaving cream @malocchio posted in the thread via the link below. Cream was for the Barber Trade (4 pound jar!). Instructions were to massage in the cream and then lather it (I interpret as face lathering) for your shave. Plan to try this with one of my creams on my next shave. Thought, per your original post, that you would also be interested.

P.S. Will try this with my LEA Mentholata that is the closest thing I have to the medicated Noxema.

Thank you. 🙂

Since I posted this, I've settled on the method you describe, using Old Spice cream:

I squeeze a bit onto my fingertips, spread it around my face (similar to using a shave stick) and later with a damp brush, adding water with the brush tips as needed.

It works great.

Yes.... you can use it right out of the tube, applied to a freshly washed face, and don't use too much, a little goes a long way . You can also put a dollop into a mug and work up a nice lather to be applied by brush .

I face lather. Even when using a GP scuttle l recently aquired. I whip it until loads the brush and has a hint of lather starting, then face lather. Get the best of both worlds. A warm cream finished lathering on my face. Of course with soap l load the brush a go.

I used to use soaps, but I've got to love creams. I put a dollop in a bowl and squeeze some water from my soaked badger brush. Longer I make the lather, it becomes creamier and before I'm finished making the lather, I rub some on my face as a great pre shave. I then face lather for a minute and this improves the lather further. Try and wait 2 or 3 minutes before using the razor and the resulting shave is wonderful.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
There's more than one way to skin the cat.

The old Italian barber technique is to put a blob of shaving cream into the middle of your damp brush knot and work the cream into the knot a bit with your fingers. Spread the cream that's left on your hand onto the face, then start face lathering with the brush. Add a bit of water to the brush two or three times to get the right lather consistency.
I highly approve of this method, which has successfully passed the test of time.

Another great option would be to proceed palm lathering, with a slightly wetter brush too.

Top Bottom