What's new

"Dumb phones"

I'm buying a Light Phone 2 today. It does talk and text only, with GPS and music capabilities coming later via updates. No camera, internet, email, or apps of any kind, so I'll be buying a standalone camera, GPS, and MP3 player to handle those duties. I'm so excited!

Do any of you use "dumb phones?" What do you use, and do you like it? Was the transition difficult?

I wonder if such a thing is available here in Canada? I'd miss the camera, though.

Yeah, it's going to be a strange transition. A camera that's just a camera. A phone that's just a phone. A GPS that's just a GPS. An MP3 player that's just an MP3 player. It'll be like living in the early 90s again.

I'd honestly love to take it even further and use paper maps and CDs for directions and music, but I think I need to ease into this, haha.

Yeah, it's going to be a strange transition. A camera that's just a camera. A phone that's just a phone. A GPS that's just a GPS. An MP3 player that's just an MP3 player. It'll be like living in the early 90s again.

I'd honestly love to take it even further and use paper maps and CDs for directions and music, but I think I need to ease into this, haha.

per diving lore, two is one and one is none. I’ve got a N American and a state book in my ride. GPS is easier, but Garmin, Apple Maps, google, and CoPilot (GPS app) all have differing algorithms for routing. Bouncing gps routes against a decently detailed map can save some heartache. I’m also not a fan of how much info companies can pull off my phone.

I’ve thought pretty hard about going dumb phone, but for now, I’ll exercise discipline with apps downloaded/usage. 🤷🏼‍♂️

they make a decent phone that has a good keyboard for texting... I might go that route. the Light phones don’t impress me at their price point from what I’ve seen.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
That flip phone of mine has a camera and other things.

But I don’t have the thing figured out. AT and T are not helping me in this matter.

I'm buying a Light Phone 2 today. It does talk and text only, with GPS and music capabilities coming later via updates. No camera, internet, email, or apps of any kind, so I'll be buying a standalone camera, GPS, and MP3 player to handle those duties. I'm so excited!

Do any of you use "dumb phones?" What do you use, and do you like it? Was the transition difficult?
I still use a "Dumb" phone. Just a plain old *** burner as they call them, but my burners last 2-3 years usually.. I refuse to use a "smart" phone, or still hoping I never have to but my carrier is trying to make it impossible, so they only offer ONE effing model, and it's a reeeaaaaly bad one. don't ever get Tot** Wirele**

Had one, with Consumer Cellular. Got rid of my landline because of the unbelievable rates they were charging, replacing it and my dumb phone with a smart one. I love the convenience; so many businesses these days are doing things through smart phone apps... menus and reservations, etc. I'll never go back.

Don

Talk and text is all mine does. I have no internet on it so no GPS or anything else.
Not sure you can get one without text anymore.
I used to have a flip phone that could not receive texts. My brother didn't believe me so I had him send me a text while beside me...nothing. They discontinued the format of service (Telus). So I had to get another phone or I would still have that one.
Mine now does have a camera but almost never gets used unless I see a really poor quality construction job to show other Carpenters, maybe once or twice a year.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have a smart phone that has camera and stuff. It's been sitting on the table with a discharged battery for about a week. The only time I use it is when I'm travelling, or use the internet hot spot when the home internet goes out. The unused data rolls over from month to month, so I'm probably sitting on a ton of available data.

If pay phones were still around I probably wouldn't have a smart phone.

1599093334570.png

The problem with so many single function devices in needing to wear cargo pants or carry a satchel nearly everywhere. I am still hoping for a true 3rd option in smartphones (maybe something linux based), something outside the control of Apple and Google. Carrying a dumb phone is still carrying a tracking device for big brother. At least with a smartphone app there is some chance for private communications if desired.

Regarding the cargo pants comment - this will just give me an excuse to start carrying the nice leather satchel that my wife bought me. I've got a pretty nice Nikon digital camera that's been collecting dust for a few years as well as an old iPod Shuffle. I'll be tossing both of those into the bag. I'll need a temporary GPS solution while Light Phone is waiting for their GPS update. They have a music update coming too, so I'll eventually only need to carry the digital camera and probably a nice little tactical torch to replace my phone's flashlight.

I'm totally prepared for the weird looks I'll get when I tell people I don't own a smartphone. I'm okay with being "that guy." I'm already "that guy" in lots of other respects.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I have a smart phone that has camera and stuff. It's been sitting on the table with a discharged battery for about a week. The only time I use it is when I'm travelling, or use the internet hot spot when the home internet goes out. The unused data rolls over from month to month, so I'm probably sitting on a ton of available data.

If pay phones were still around I probably wouldn't have a smart phone.

View attachment 1149374

big.jpg

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member

David, David, David. :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I thought the original iPod was the best ever. It did one thing, but it did it well.

That flip phone of mine has a camera and other things.

But I don’t have the thing figured out. AT and T are not helping me in this matter.
My father in law recently got a new flip phone from Tracfone that has a camera. I think you can send pictures to your email account, but you have to type in the address using the phone's keypad. I tried to help him with it, but it was hard over the phone. Then he had a friend from bridge come over and show him how to transfer pictures to his computer using a USB cable. It sounded like it was smooth and easy.

I get some of what you are saying, but the convenience of having everything in one small(ish) device offsets any other consideration for me. I do not want to juggle around with 4 or 5 devices, I do not want to carry a handbag and I don't have an issue with 'them' knowing where I am (hey guys, I am in Singapore, in my office!), but YMMV.

Since the thing I use my phone for the most is internet connectivity, one of those accessories I'd need to supplement the overpriced hipster phone would be a smart phone. So yeah, sounds like a non starter.

Top Bottom