What's new

Dull blade?

So today was my 9th shave with a shavette and I totally butchered my face. Nicks everywhere and covered in razor burn. I was doing tremendously well (I think) on #6-8 after I ditched the free Derby blades.

6 and 7 were with Astra SP blades and 8 and 9 were with Feather SS. Yesterday went well and I felt like the blade was not shaving as well today but I chalked it up to my lather since it was not as slick as before.

Does a dull blade "catch" the skin more to cause razor burn and nicks or was it more likely my lather? I do have thick facial hair, but the consensus seems to be 2 shaves on a blade should be fine.

The alum block really​ burned today. Ouch!

Yes, a dull blade can result in irritation. But so can poor lather and improper blade angle. Take a look at the wiki to see if you are doing things right.

I've re-checked the wiki and I think my angle is ok. The lather looked good, but it was short on slickness. I suppose the smartest thing to do would be use the 9 Astras up first since that was the best shave thus far. No need to try to re-invent the wheel with sharp instruments! I certainly will not be shaving tomorrow. :tongue_sm

A dull blade wont slice the hair cleanly, so it'll catch and pull, which isn't the best for your skin. Assuming the blades were new, I would bet it was your lather that was the culprit this time around. Relax, take a day off, and try 'er again.

If it doesn't feel right restart your shave, whether that means new lather or blade go ahead and redo it. Taking a few minutes to redo that is far better than not and facing the consequences in my opinion.

On a few occasions I went to shave and I stop part way on the first stroke and go hmm this doesn't feel right. And swap out the blade or redo my lather and resume when that's done to get a good shave.

There are a few things which can cause you problems. If your lather is not up to scratch, it makes sense to start again rather than trying to get through the shave (especially as you are quite new to this). A dull (or not so smooth) blade can catch and pull and can also lead you to put pressure on the razor resulting in burn.

A few things you may want to look at. Are you stretching your skin? Are you moving the shavette fast enough to cut and not tug?

You should be able to get several acceptable shaves with a blade before that becomes the issue

I am stretching my skin. The nicks were all in trouble areas (jawbone, neck, lip), but I the razor burn was all over lower cheeks which has never happened before, even with Derby blades and shaving gel.

The blades gave plenty of audible feedback and seemed to cut ok, albeit I don't find them quite as smooth as the Astras I tried. After cleaning up I noticed "pinholes" in the razor burn areas that were bloody but not bleeding. Not sure if that means anything, but I'll give it another go tomorrow with a fresh blade and hopefully slicker lather!

The only time I find a dull blade hurts my face, is if it's so dull that I find myself pushing the blade with too much pressure against my face.
otherwise with appropriate pressure and angle, I don't know why it would cause more nicks....just a less close shave.

I am stretching my skin. The nicks were all in trouble areas (jawbone, neck, lip), but I the razor burn was all over lower cheeks which has never happened before, even with Derby blades and shaving gel.

The blades gave plenty of audible feedback and seemed to cut ok, albeit I don't find them quite as smooth as the Astras I tried. After cleaning up I noticed "pinholes" in the razor burn areas that were bloody but not bleeding. Not sure if that means anything, but I'll give it another go tomorrow with a fresh blade and hopefully slicker lather!
How is your progress?

How is your progress?

I think it's safe to say it was my lather alone. I've switched back to the Astras because they have worked best out of the three. I've been focusing on making a better face lather - if it's not performing well I restart if it can't be salvaged. That has worked well and I've had no nicks or razor burn this week.

As an experiment I loaded a Derby blade a few days ago. I had 3 ugly nicks by the time I finished half of my face.

Dull blade or too mild a razor causes irritation on my face because I tend to do too many touch ups to the problem areas and therein is where my irritation begins.

Top Bottom