What's new

Duke Canon at Target

I was at Target earlier today and they had a sampler of Duke Canon "cologne". So I sniffed something called "Huron", an aquatic wood scent which I thought smelled nice, and sprayed some of this juice on my neck. Initially it just seemed like a pleasant aquatic scent but after about three hours it becomes a semi-sweet, warm but dirty, earthy type scent with a bit of a "wet and dank" driftwood. I noticed it was very clingy and had strange longevity for a cologne, so I got home and looked it up and turns out it's Eau de Parfum. That explains everything. One spritz of this stuff is way too powerful, it's like dousing yourself with Axe body spray.

Maybe if I sprayed it as a cloud and walked into it, it would smell more appropriate, but that seems kind of wasteful. I'm glad I passed on it. There's nothing particularly gentlemanly about loud and obnoxious fragrances.

Last edited:
I have not seen those. I like the soaps, including the way they smell.

Eau de parfum is not perfume strength. It is a notch above eau de toilet strength. Still, I know what you are saying. Moreover, a scent does not need to be overpowering to have staying power/legs. I suppose still a better deal than something weak that takes a lot of liquid.

<There's nothing particularly gentlemanly about loud and obnoxious fragrances.>

I hope we are all in agreement on that! I feel bad about Duke doing this. I had liked the brand a lot.

I have not seen those. I like the soaps, including the way they smell.

Eau de parfum is not perfume strength. It is a notch above eau de toilet strength. Still, I know what you are saying. Moreover, a scent does not need to be overpowering to have staying power/legs. I suppose still a better deal than something weak that takes a lot of liquid.

<There's nothing particularly gentlemanly about loud and obnoxious fragrances.>

I hope we are all in agreement on that! I feel bad about Duke doing this. I had liked the brand a lot.

Anything stronger than EdT and I prefer to have it in a roll-on or dab it on. I'm sure the trick of spraying it in the air does work, though.

I used to buy Old Spice Signature or Brut Revolution and those are similar fragrances, but in cologne strength (still in a spray bottle, though). In fact that's what Duke Canon Huron reminds me of, except Brut Revolution was alot less assertive, had a more prominent aquatic note and doesn't last nearly as long. Old Spice Signature was more of an aquatic spice scent, sort of like Old Spice's Fiji (I still have some OS Signature in unused bottles, the stuff is going for around a hundred on eBay now... and while it's nice that's simply asking too much money for it).

I liked both better than Aqua di Gio, which to my nose has too much going on in the top and middle notes.

I just bought a bar of Duke Cannon Leaf and Leather soap. If that scent came in a cologne I would be interested in trying it--either as a solid or a spray, I suppose. Even if it did not work as a cologne to wear, it might be something to keep in a closet or spray around in a closet as sort of a air fresher or "sachet," might be the right word. Something to make the closet smell a bit like a cedar closet or something like that. I wish my clothes closet had better ventilation.

When I go on line all I see on the Duke Cannon website are "solid" cologne and a spray called Fulton. I am not sure I have seem either in a brick and mortar store.

On a side note I picked up some Cremo Cypress and Cedarwood solid cologne for only 5 dollars. It's a decent fragrance if you just want a woodsy background drydown sort of thing.

My wife picked up their beard oil and balm for me. I liked it at first--seemed like neroli and wood. Got kind of sick of it after a while. Their soaps are very nice.

"Beard oil and balm" Is that one or two products. I have never really liked either on a generic basis. I have found that I have tired a bit of the Duke Leather and Leaf scent as a soap, but I have been using it for what seems like months. It is a big bar and the scent is strong.

has anyone tried there bodywashes, I normally use hard soaps but when I travel I would like a bodywash for clean up and put away reasons rather than waiting on a bar of soap to dry before I put my dopp bag away for the day.

Top Bottom