What's new

Duke 2 or something else?

Evening all,

I currently use a Simpson special pure badger that I bought when I first started DE back in 2012, but have been pondering a brush upgrade for a little while now. I like the special well enough, but find it a bit small these days and could use some more lather for my 3rd pass.

I had my eye set on a Duke 2, and am looking for a bit of input from users. I face lather exclusively, mostly use cold water, and tend to like my brush fairly contained (i.e not floppy). Also, I prefer a balance of skritch and softness, which is why I thought I'd stick to badger.

Does the Duke 2 seem like a good fit? Any recommendations for an equivalent or better brush for the price? Replies would preferably be from those who have first hand experience with said brush. Thanks!

I've owned two duke 2's and from criteria they're absolutely the sort of thing you're looking for. If you can see before buying try to get s more fan shaped one for a perfect face latnerer.

I used a Duke 2 in Best Badger as a travel brush for a while but it still felt a bit small for everyday use.... For me 24mm is the sweet spot for face lathering... A Duke 3 at 23mm in Best would be a very nice everyday brush only to be outdone be a Classis 2 in Best Badger (sometimes referred to as a Chubby 0).... in that same ballpark a Chubby 1 in Best would be a nice long term option as well.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I bought a Chubby 1 in Super and haven’t found anything I like more.

I’m a believer in spend a little more the first time so you don’t have to worry about upgrading later.

I am a big fan of the chubby 1 in best. And duke 2 is a somewhat similar brush. If you want more lather though, consider something in two band, less densely packed with the same backbone than 3 bands lets them hold more lather.

The Duke 2 is a great choice!! :a29::a29:

Other Simpson favorites here are the Chubby 1, Classic 2, and Tulip 2! I recommend any of these also!

Yeah...if you can buy in person, that's helpful. Simpson brushes vary a bit. Sometimes quite a bit. I recall lining up four of the same model one day at a store before selecting one. :)

I appreciate all the input. @MrSmith83 I hadn't thought of a more fan-like shape being better. That's a good point.

It seems like the general consensus is that the Duke 2 is great, but some like the slightly more dense Duke 3 or Chubby 1.

Just browsing WCS...
Duke 2: 21mm Dia, 46mm Lft, $92
Classic 1: 22mm, 44mm, $101
Classic 2: 23mm, 44mm, $112
Duke 3: 23mm, 46mm, $115
Chubby 1: 23mm, 47mm, $127

All seem very similar. Reading through @ddillas link it seems a bit of personal preference between a firmer or more cushiony feel.

Does anyone have any recommendations that meet the criteria above and is not a Simpson? These seem like the best fit to me, but I haven't done an exhaustive search.

I've owned two duke 2's and from criteria they're absolutely the sort of thing you're looking for. If you can see before buying try to get s more fan shaped one for a perfect face latnerer.
+1 I have one in pure badger and it hits the criteria you're looking for. I love it, especially the scritch and backbone.

Sent from my Vivo 8 using Tapatalk

Duke 2 will work. I use mine with smaller soaps and for travel. Duke 3 knot is not much larger but the handle is much nicer to hold.
Also look at a Shavemac D01.

My Classic 1 feels like a baby child compared to my Chubby 1. Both are great
Good to know. It can be hard to tell from photos how much smaller the Classic is. I'm not a big guy but have bigger hands, so I may want to steer clear of such a small handled brush.

Duke 2 will work. I use mine with smaller soaps and for travel. Duke 3 knot is not much larger but the handle is much nicer to hold.
Also look at a Shavemac D01.
Yeah, I had someone else recommend Shavemac also, but D01 is a little out of my price range, as I was hoping to keep it around $100.

Do you have any experience with their Finest or Silvertip? Would you say they are comparable to Simpsons Best? Considering I don't mind a bit of skritch, I thought it may be nice to configure my own. Especially since I could get a fan shape instead of bulb, for face lathering.

Last edited:
Yeah, I had someone else recommend Shavemac also, but D01 is a little out of my price range, as I was hoping to keep it around $100.

Do you have any experience with their Finest or Silvertip? Would you say they are comparable to Simpsons Best? Considering I don't mind a bit of skritch, I thought it may be nice to configure my own. Especially since I could get a fan shape instead of bulb, for face lathering.

Simpsons' Best can be hit or miss. My Duke 2 and M6 have very little scritch, much less than the Shavemac Finest I had. My Duke 3 has much more. Almost feels like pure.
If you don't mind some scritch go for the Shavemac.

I appreciate all the input. @MrSmith83 I hadn't thought of a more fan-like shape being better. That's a good point.

It seems like the general consensus is that the Duke 2 is great, but some like the slightly more dense Duke 3 or Chubby 1.

Just browsing WCS...
Duke 2: 21mm Dia, 46mm Lft, $92
Classic 1: 22mm, 44mm, $101
Classic 2: 23mm, 44mm, $112
Duke 3: 23mm, 46mm, $115
Chubby 1: 23mm, 47mm, $127

All seem very similar. Reading through @ddillas link it seems a bit of personal preference between a firmer or more cushiony feel.

Does anyone have any recommendations that meet the criteria above and is not a Simpson? These seem like the best fit to me, but I haven't done an exhaustive search.
At a lower price point but still acknowledged as pretty nice brushes are the 2 band offerings from Stirling Soap Co on their website and the Maseto Shaving brushes sold on eBay. I have our have had variants from each brand and have been very pleased.

MS - Extra Density 2 Band 100% Finest Badger Shaving Brush "Atlanta-B&I" 24mm Knott

Stirling Soap Co - Finest Badger Shave Brush - 24mm Fan Knot (Black Striped) or (Green Striped)

Good to know. It can be hard to tell from photos how much smaller the Classic is. I'm not a big guy but have bigger hands, so I may want to steer clear of such a small handled brush.

I have average sized hands and sometimes get lather on my fingers when using the classic

At a lower price point but still acknowledged as pretty nice brushes are the 2 band offerings from Stirling Soap Co on their website and the Maseto Shaving brushes sold on eBay. I have our have had variants from each brand and have been very pleased.

MS - Extra Density 2 Band 100% Finest Badger Shaving Brush "Atlanta-B&I" 24mm Knott

Stirling Soap Co - Finest Badger Shave Brush - 24mm Fan Knot (Black Striped) or (Green Striped)

Very good suggestions. I think that I've always looked at stepping up to a brush in the Simpson range, but perhaps there's not much sense in spending more if I don't need to.

That Stirling looks well suited to face lathering, with the fan shape, moderate loft, and comfortable (looking) handle.

I was shocked when I saw the Simpson lineup in person by how small most of the brushes are. Even the Chubby 1 is smaller than I thought I would’ve been OK with but find it perfect.

Also there’s a large jump when going for the Chubby 2 which I found too large, and the Chubby 3 which in Pure I think would make a fine hairbrush. I think my ideal brush would be a Chubby 1.5 but I’ll probably never find out. I think the 58 is my second favorite brush I’ve ever owned and I’ve owned a Duke 3.

As far as hair goes I would highly recommend Super as Best can go either way (as has been said) and imo it’s tough to impossible to tell how scritchy a brush is without using it.

Top Bottom