What's new

Duck. Not DublDuck.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Those Mallards are in great numbers. Leave that bird alone. Soon someone will have a poem for it.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That was hilarious. I laughed. No, they are there on purpose, purple shamrock.
The Purple Shamrock was the title of a biography of Boston Mayor James Michael Curley written by Joseph Dineen in 1949. It was a court biography. Curley was quite a scoundrel, but Dineen's treatment reads like a pious hagiography.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
1620779770760.png

Double duck. Not Dublduck

1620779944426.png

Dubl Duck

1620779973670.png

Double Dubl Duck. Not ducks.

The Purple Shamrock was the title of a biography of Boston Mayor James Michael Curley written by Joseph Dineen in 1949. It was a court biography. Curley was quite a scoundrel, but Dineen's treatment reads like a pious hagiography.

And of course it inspired a bar in Boston...now closed.
Shamrock-Night-1.jpg

And to tie another Boston landmark to the OP's post...
69-make-way-statue.jpg

Back to the Picture tag for me I think...

Leave the duck and the nest alone. You could be committing a federal crime if you so much as disturb the nest. And don’t feed the duck. She knows what she is doing.

From the Toronto Wildlife Dept.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
And of course it inspired a bar in Boston...now closed.
View attachment 1265226

And to tie another Boston landmark to the OP's post...
View attachment 1265227

Back to the Picture tag for me I think...
I didn't know that bar had closed. I was never in there. Was a tourist bar, wasn't it? When I was in high school I drank at the nearby Bell in Hand (the drinking age was 18, which made 16 close enough). The Bell, one of America's oldest bars, was at that time a real dump. This was before the Quincy Market was turned into a retail Disneyland in the late 70s. I think the Bell in Hand underwent significant upgrades since those years, and was turned into some sort of authentic fake colonial era tavern or something.

I didn't know that bar had closed. I was never in there. Was a tourist bar, wasn't it? When I was in high school I drank at the nearby Bell in Hand (the drinking age was 18, which made 16 close enough). The Bell, one of America's oldest bars, was at that time a real dump. This was before the Quincy Market was turned into a retail Disneyland in the late 70s. I think the Bell in Hand underwent significant upgrades since those years, and was turned into some sort of authentic fake colonial era tavern or something.
Not sure if PS was one of the many business casualties of the pandemic or if it closed earlier. Haven't been in any of those pla es in years. It is all pretty touristy...or was

Appologies to the OP for the thread hijack. I'd be interested in your updates on the ducks. An inconvenience I'm sure but would be pretty interesting if this particular Mallard family knew what they were doing and were successful. Duckling photos always a plus.

I had to defend my duck today. I heard a ruckus, so I went out and saw a snake had hold of the duck. The duck was flapping around, and snake fell off with a mouthful of feathers. I grabbed a broom handle and started beating the head of the snake. It's dead.

The duck had waddled over behind my car. She was poking her head around to look. I leaned over like the duck was doing, and reassured it the snake was dead. I know the duck doesn't understand English, but it did waddle back over and get back into the flower bed while I was standing there. That kind of surprised me. It slowly calmed down, and I went back in the house. (As far as I could tell, the eggs are fine.)

I went out this morning, and the duck and its ducklings were gone. :( I was hoping to get a better look at the ducklings, and it would have been neat to see the mother duck leave with her ducklings following behind. However, it's a good thing they were gone in the morning, because in the afternoon, another snake showed up.

Other than doves and starlings, I left nests alone at our house of 19 years that we sold last year. We had loads of robins, and their babies every spring, which we enjoyed. Never saw ducks, but I would have left them alone. This spring in our apartment we had house finches build a nest at the top of our deck. We loved seeing them, and they seemed to be getting used to us, until house sparrows took over their nest and we found 4 finch babies dead on our porch one day. I evicted the house sparrows with extreme prejudice.

Top Bottom