What's new

Duck jerky on a WSM?

Good Morning,

Last night I marinated up a few duck breast strips. I plan to leave them refrigerated for 24-48 hours. I don't have a dehydrator so I'd like to try it on my Weber smoker. Any suggestions? Temp? Time? Has anyone tried this or another jerky on a WSM?

Never done it, but it sounds fantastic!

Please post your process, pictures, and thoughts upon completion.
Will do!

I'm finding mixed info but there's enough to go with to wing it. I'm going to aim for the 175º mark for around 6 hours. It's my first time, so I snagged a recipe from a guy off YouTube. Looking forward to the results. Might be a later night than normal though!

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
David, below is a video made by Aaron Franklin that may give you some ideas when making jerky using both your smoker and dehydrator or oven.

Easy to over cook it, I will smoke for about an hour then to the dehydrator. Son uses a warm oven overnight with good success. Never tried duck, but do a lot of goose. Teriyaki yum.

2 racks full on my 18.5" of a mix of teal, wood duck, and mallard. Now I wait....
20171018_190152.jpg

This is the recipe I snagged online, for my first go at this....
Screenshot_2017-10-17-18-14-06.png

I let it sit like this (in the fridge) for 24 hours...
20171017_194454.jpg

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That looks really good!

Corn dodgers go really well with jerky. Basically, you put some cornmeal in a bowl, add about "that much" bacon grease...not too much but not too little, salt to taste, then mix in boiling water until you get a thick batter. Form in to balls about the size of a ping pong ball or smaller, then bake at about 350 until golden brown...about 45 minutes or an hour...or as long as it takes.

Jerky, corn dodgers, and strong coffee...you can live off that stuff for days.

20171018_234905.jpg
20171018_235437.jpg
Here it is... the final product. Taste tested and so good! Don't know what else to say.

So, here are a few reflections on this little project....

First of all, I had fun throughout the entire process; from prep to packaging. The recipe I used was pretty satisfactory. I didn't take too much time in selecting it. So, if you consider doing this, try not to be overly picky with a recipe. I recommend just picking one and working on it in future projects, if changes are desired. For being the first time, I don't think things went too bad. The only thing I would probably change is that I'd reserve this for being a weekend project, in the future. I battled a bit too long to regulate 170º and that kept me up a bit later than I had hoped. Anyway, I will definitely be doing this again. Thanks for reading.

Top Bottom