What's new

Duc de Vervins—Overlooked Gem?

Like many here, I’m a fan of classic fragrances and 80’s style powerhouse fougeres and chypres. After all, I was a teen in the 80’s, and these were the types of fragrances I first wore—Polo, Chaps, Quorum, Drakkar Noir, etc.

In reading Basenotes reviews, I stumbled across Houbigant’s Duc de Vervins. Although it was released in 1992, it was Houbigant’s late response to the powerhouse fougeres of the 80’s. Many think it smells like somewhat Drakkar but greener. I agree with that, although I think it has its own character as well. It also still has really good longevity and sillage—it’s still a powerhouse. Oak moss (and tree moss) are listed as materials. This one hasn’t (yet) been eviscerated by compliance with IFRA standards. I guess if any company is going to fight to keep the integrity of the fougere genre, it would be Houbigant.

It’s actually quite reasonable. Discount sites have it for about $50, and I picked this set up off of eBay for about $40:
6A366B6A-40A0-4688-B7AC-B5E1E80CAF9B.jpeg

Anyway, I highly recommend it to lovers of vintage fragrances.

Last edited:
Congrats on your purchase! Ha, funny you should post this @CJB3, I'm just finishing my sample of the stuff tonight. I think it's far more refined than DN and definitely has its own identity. DN is less fresh and more rugged to my nose. Still not sure if I want a full bottle, but I've really enjoyed sampling it. Certainly didn't get on with the L'Extreme version, far too intense and sharp for my liking!

Nick

Congrats on your purchase! Ha, funny you should post this @CJB3, I'm just finishing my sample of the stuff tonight. I think it's far more refined than DN and definitely has its own identity. DN is less fresh and more rugged to my nose. Still not sure if I want a full bottle, but I've really enjoyed sampling it. Certainly didn't get on with the L'Extreme version, far too intense and sharp for my liking!

Nick
What a coincidence! Yes, I steered clear of the L’Extreme version, based on what I read in the reviews.

It’s not my favorite fragrance among the ones that resemble Drakkar (that would be vintage Jacomo de Jacomo), but I do like it a lot.

I have a bottle and like it a lot.

Like CJB3 it has that classic 80's Fougere scent going on. Brings back memories of that era, when I use any of those types of frags.

I wear one of my 80s Fougere cologne scents on a weekly basis. Especially when Spring comes around.

Wow, I do not know this one at all.

vintage Jacomo de Jacomo
That implies the current version, assuming there is one, is not as good as the vintage. Darn. I wore that scent for years decades ago. All I have ever had is the vintage. I am guessing I would still love it. An underappreciated scent!

Top Bottom