What's new

Dual-comb razors

Just a few questions about dual-comb razors for you.

1) Do you now, or have you ever owned a dual-comb razor?
2) If the answer to the first question was yes, do you still own a dc razor?
3) Do you enjoy dc razors and use one or more in rotation?
4) If you do use one, do you use it any differently from the way you use your other razors?

I have used several, and still have three of them in rotation, all made by iKon. I enjoy them quite a bit. I don't use them any differently; I shave with one side until it is filled with lather, than turn the razor over and do the same thing, then rinse and start over.

I like dc razors and kind of wish more razor-makers made them. What about you?

If I for some reason only could have one particular razor, then I'll bet that I would seriously consider some kind of dual comb setup.

I'd probably go for something super smooth on one side and something just a little bit more toward medium on the other side.

But, other than that scenario, I often am just happy starting my shave with the same type of head that I want to finish it on. I pretty much never want something to take down the first pass that's any different/ than what I would use on the last one.

I have three dual comb razors, a vintage Emir, an Ikon 101 (which is a clone of the Emir), and a New Mulcuto (not to be confused with the original Mulcuto). I also have a couple of adjustable razors, and a couple of dual aggression razors (SB plates, but different blade gaps on each side). I use them all similarly where I would start my WTG pass using the more aggressive setting, like dialing a #5 on an adjustable, or the OC side of a dual comb. I would them do my ATG pass with the milder setting, like #3 on an adjustable, or the SB side on a dual comb. For the XTG pass, I would go with whatever setting I feel I need, although after two passes, I rarely need to do an XTG for anything but a touch up.

I have two dual comb razors - a Yates and a Timeless SS .68. Both have open comb on one side and solid bar on the other. I love them both. If I haven’t shaved for a few days, I do the first pass with the OC side and the second and third with the SB side. Both sides have the same gap. It’s like having 2 razors in one.

I have a Fendrihan MKI and an Ikon SBS. I thought I would enjoy dual combs, but I ended up not. If I'm shaving with a DE, I prefer both sides the same so I don't have to think and adjust.

I have only one and that's the Lupo DC and if I could I would swap it with a .95 plate instead, since I don't use the .72 oc side anymore and I have to remember which side of the blade I place on the .95 side so I can shave with both sides of the blade instead of keep using the same side over and over again.

Just a few questions about dual-comb razors for you.

1) Do you now, or have you ever owned a dual-comb razor?
2) If the answer to the first question was yes, do you still own a dc razor?
3) Do you enjoy dc razors and use one or more in rotation?
4) If you do use one, do you use it any differently from the way you use your other razors?

I have used several, and still have three of them in rotation, all made by iKon. I enjoy them quite a bit. I don't use them any differently; I shave with one side until it is filled with lather, than turn the razor over and do the same thing, then rinse and start over.

I like dc razors and kind of wish more razor-makers made them. What about you?

I still have and occasionally use my IKon SBS (Lead infused aluminum version). I like both sides but tend to use the SB side more. The OC side is squared off and not as comfortable as say my Old Type and Timeless razors but it isn’t exactly a garden rake either.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Yes, yes, yes, and yes.

full

1) Do you now, or have you ever owned a dual-comb razor? - Yes.
2) If the answer to the first question was yes, do you still own a dc razor? - No, ended up selling/trading it away.
3) Do you enjoy dc razors and use one or more in rotation? Ended up moving the one I had, so not anymore.
4) If you do use one, do you use it any differently from the way you use your other razors? The one I had shaved very similarly on both the SB and OC sides. I did try the OC then SB approach, then changed to SB then OC, and didn't find much difference. So just ended up using it like a non-DC razor.

I own a Timeless Ti95DC and until a few months ago it was my only razor for going on 3yrs now. I shave every other day and found it worked the best for me in using the OC for the 1st pass, WTG/XTG and then the SB for the 2nd pass ATG/XTG. I had tried it a few times experimenting in the opposite w/ SB 1st pass and OC 2nd pass but found the OC removed much more stubble on the 1st pass... I also found using a step angle worked best on either side and its what I continue to use with my Ti Blackbird as well. The Ti95DC is probably the biggest reason I only shave every other day because every shave out is a 16-20 BBS and there just simply isn't enough stubble to shave the next day and that fits just fine with my schedule nowadays!!
Ti95DC.jpg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
A dc was on my list. Had a few opportunities to get a timeless but didn’t. Recently got the lupo dc. Affordable and scratches the dc itch. I’ve been using it exclusively since I got it but probably still in the honeymoon phase. I don’t notice a major difference on each side. I like the way an oc cuts thru lots of lather. I’ve been using the oc on the right and sb on the left for kicks.

I shave daily, so for me there would be little advantage to a DC.

But I can certainly understand the appeal.

Dave himself

Wee Words of Wisdom
I have a yaqi DOC I would say the only real difference I've noticed from other razors is that it's really good for buffing certain area's without leaving a lot of irration like under the nose and such.

I have the Ikon OSS. I liked the idea, but in practice I found both sides to be disappointingly mild. I upgraded it to a B1 Standard (which I enjoy using) with just a new baseplate, so it wasn't a total loss.

One of the reasons that I bought my DS-X1 it's because I always shave using only one side of the blade at time.
It sounds silly (C'mon it´s a DOUBLE EDGE razor!!), but it helped me to get a better review for blade quality/endurance!

Top Bottom