What's new

DSCosmetic Z0 vs Muhle R41

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Does anyone have both of these razors? If so, what are your impressions comparing the two? Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

I own or have owned pretty much the full range of R41s and its knock offs:
2011 R41
2013 R41
R41 GS SS
DSCosmetic Z0 v1
DSCosmetic Z0 v2

The (Muhle) special edition titanium is the exception I haven't tried or owned.

Both of the DSCosmetic razors are decent shavers. I think both are slightly more aggressive than the 2013 R41 design, with the v1 being a tiny bit more aggressive than its later sibling.

My personal favorite of all of them is the 2011 R41, but that's in large part sentimental as it was the first DE razor I really came to love and I strongly prefer aggressive razors. The 2011 is by a pretty wide margin the most aggressive of all of these. It does "feature" quite a bit of blade chatter.

I liked the R41 GS, but ultimately sold it as a) I had moved on to other modern razors, b) I thought it was fairly expensive for what it is, and c) the DSCosmetics were both pretty similar shavers to the GS.

I found the R41 GS (like the DSCosmetics) to be a bit more aggressive than the zamac 2013 R41. I attribute this largely to the extra weight of the SS material rather than the design. I also found the the SS versions, including the knock offs, clamp the blade a bit better than the zamac versions.

GS and titanium aside, none of these razors is particularly expensive if you want to try more than one. Without knowing more about your preferences, I am hard pressed to make recommendations. I would not buy the R41 GS again, but it is better machined than the DSCosmetics and I do like supporting a longtime manufacturer in the wet shaving space. It might be nice if they sold the head only.

Any of these SS razors is going to last a lot longer than the zamac versions too, and I have had issues with long term use of my Muhle R41 zamac razors, especially the 2011 version, but I have owned it much longer and made the mistake of storing it in Muhle's upside down stand which lets water collect in the head.

What attributes are you looking for in the R41 style razors?

Last edited:
Have both and I can tell that the DS Z0 (at least the first version of it) has more blade feel, it has been discussed that it is because the cap is shorter and apparently this was a thing of a previous version of the R41. All in all, is a great shaver if this kind of razors is your cup of tea, and at a good price.

Might be interesting if someone who has the SS R41 can compare it with the DS-Z0 so we can know if the weight is an issue too..

Cheers

JCarr

I own or have owned pretty much the full range of R41s and its knock offs:
2011 R41
2013 R41
R41 GS SS
DSCosmetic Z0 v1
DSCosmetic Z0 v2

The special edition titanium is the exception I haven't tried or owned.

Both of the DSCosmetic razors are decent shavers. I think both are slightly more aggressive than the 2013 R41 design, with the v1 being a tiny bit more aggressive than its later sibling.

My personal favorite of all of them is the 2011 R41, but that's in large part sentimental as it was the first DE razor I really came to love and I strongly prefer aggressive razors. The 2011 is by a pretty wide margin the most aggressive of all of these. It does "feature" quite a bit of blade chatter.

I liked the R41 GS, but ultimately sold it as a) I had moved on to other modern razors, b) I thought it was fairly expensive for what it is, and c) the DSCosmetics were both pretty similar shavers to the GS.

I found the R41 GS (like the DSCosmetics) to be a bit more aggressive than the zamac 2013 R41. I attribute this largely to the extra weight of the SS material rather than the design. I also found the the SS versions, including the knock offs, clamp the blade a bit better than the zamac versions.

GS and titanium aside, none of these razors is particularly expensive if you want to try more than one. Without knowing more about your preferences, I am hard pressed to make recommendations. I would not buy the R41 GS again, but it is better machined than the DSCosmetics and I do like supporting a longtime manufacturer in the wet shaving space. It might be nice if they sold the head only.

Any of these SS razors is going to last a lot longer than the zamac versions too, and I have had issues with long term use of my Muhle R41 zamac razors, especially the 2011 version, but I have owned it much longer and made the mistake of storing it in Muhle's upside down stand which lets water collect in the head.

What attributes are you looking for in the R41 style razors?

First off, thanks for your very detailed reply. At this point, I'm enjoying the heck out of my DSCosmetic SS knockoff...I have the v2 version. Was just wondering if any of the Muhle versions were even better shavers than the DSCosmetic. It doesn't sound like they are. There's a titanium version? Is that a Titanium version of the Muhle or the DSCosmetic? Nevermind...I found the Muhle Limited Edition R41 Titanium web pages. Peace!

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have the Z0 with the protoype tag. The "new" Z0 has a longer cap, less exposure and should be more like the R41. The Z0 prototype is a bit more aggressive and more like the R41 2011.

As you can't get it anymore, the Z0 is a very good copy and there was already a thread about the refined Z0 head, maybe someone can chime in.

It's to 99% a R41, but you can get it with a selection of fancy handles, some a bit on the slippery side, but I like them very much.
The R41 Zamac can't compete.
The R41 GS, the "Grande" handle made from steel is long and heavy, but with shallow knurling. That's the same sin as for some DSCosmetic handles. But some like it smooth at the price of grip, oh well.

The R41 GS isn't better, but much more expensive. It is made from the original designer. That's the question, is this worth the extra they ask for it.

Well, if the Z0 shaves like the R41 2011, I think is a fantastic deal... seeing the prices on that ones on the bay... LOL :c1:
Captura de pantalla 2022-05-23 144046.jpg

Cheers

JCarr

I would not buy the R41 GS again, but it is better machined than the DSCosmetics and I do like supporting a longtime manufacturer in the wet shaving space. It might be nice if they sold the head only.

I really appreciated and respected your comment regarding Muhle being the company who created the design in the first place. So...I bought the stainless steel Muhle R41. My conscience bothered me and my wallet was able to do it.

Thanks again for your comparison writeup.

Personally, I consider almost all direct explicit copies of a product and counterfeits the same which is THEFT of Intellectual Property and of the creator's good efforts IMHO.

This whole thread has been very helpful though, so THANK YOU!

The r41 is so affordable I can’t imagine why the other is an option. But then that is my PRC stance showing. Nothing against the people there.
Yes, it's not like we are looking at a large price difference. You can get an R41 shipped to your door pretty fast for a little more than a Chinese knockoff shipped out of China with a possible Customs import charge after a long slow boat ride.

Top Bottom