What's new

DSCosmetic DS-S9 316SS Head Review

I just tried my S9 head that I bought by accident as I originally ordered a full razor with the Z0 head. They ran out of the Z0 so they offered other heads and I picked the S9. I waited for a sale and I got a full razor for $27 (half price) - I thought if I don't like the head I still get a good deal for the Destroyer handle.

Well, it was quite a pleasant surprise! I think the head has 0.86mm blade gap and neutral exposure, and the shave was reflecting it, smooth and comfortable with a Permasharp (3) - one of my top blades. Efficiency is similar to the Tatara Masamune but with a tad more, but pleasant, blade feel. Blade clamping is quite rigid although not like the Masamune. Got A minor alum feedback after but waned quickly. Proraso pre-shave with Proraso white soap. Perhaps would be a tad more comfortable if I used the Oaken Lab soap (my top soap). Will shave with it again in the near future using different blades.

Blade placement is a tad annoying, though, as it has blade knobs on the base instead on the top cap. So I needed to screw the handle on with the heads on top while pinching them together..but at least blade alignment was spot on.

Quality was ok. Not the best finish on the base plate while the top cap is a bit better. Oh, the SS destroyer handle is awesome - well made and hefty.

Worth to buy? I wouldn't buy it at full price (RR Gamechanger/Lupo price range for you guys in the US). But with a sale and coupons, YES! I think this is a perfect travel razor for me.

View attachment 1232064View attachment 1232065
View attachment 1232066View attachment 1232069

Not sure why the pictures weren't loaded properly on my post. here they are
20210303_150035.jpg
20210303_150106.jpg
20210303_150118.jpg
2021_03_05_13_58_40_963.jpg
20210303_150035.jpg
20210303_150106.jpg
20210303_150118.jpg
2021_03_05_13_58_40_963.jpg

I just received their D-8-C. Lovely shaver. It's supposed to be out of copper but looks like brass. Does not match my Timeless copper handle. Well machined and polished. It's a keeper!

The head, especially the baseplate looks like a modified version of my RR Gamechanger. Cap looks very nice.

Very true although I don't have a game changer yet since Italian barber doesn't ship to Indonesia.

I just received their D-8-C. Lovely shaver. It's supposed to be out of copper but looks like brass. Does not match my Timeless copper handle. Well machined and polished. It's a keeper!

Very glad you're having a good experience with DS head, too! When there's a sale again I'll probably get the D8 too for fun. The copper looks nice. What gap is the timeless copper? I'm thinking to get one later this year. They just look awesome.

Just received mine (Ti S9) today and have to say first impression was excellent...

The weight and distribution/balance felt great, the shave itself is smoother and yet more efficient than my GC.84 (which I still haven't learned to love - I'm starting to wonder if it's defective somehow and wouldn't feel right selling it, but not cheeky enough to complain about something I bought secondhand and could just be me somehow)... I like this and my GC.68OC much more than my GC.84.

Blade sings much more loudly than my GC's (which I like) but the rigidity is still there.

If it's supposed to be a GC clone, it's not quite right - as a twist on the theme, it's great.
Much like the Mamba 70 copy (I started a thread about that called Mamba number 3?), that scalloped top cap is a smidge thicker (think thin Vs thick caps on Old types) and that probably contributes a good deal to the difference in feel.

The biggest surprise, though, was actually the handle...
My previous DS handle (KVT) isn't particularly grippy (though perfectly usable for me), but this new one ("Old Destroyer" in Ti - looks similar to the destroyer but without the upper of the two rings cut through the knurled section) is superb - the vertical channels have a nice sharp/grippy edge to them and the ring cut out towards the bottom is deep enough and wide enough to give a very effective gripping point... Absolutely lovely feel, the knurling itself is very shallow, but the handle doesn't need it at all.

Hopefully this keeps performing as well as this, very pleased with what could easily have been a regretted impulse purchase.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree, now I don't have a Game Changer 68OC but my DS X2 (68 OC clone?) Shaves different than my 68p, 68 Jaws, 84p and 84 Jaws....

How aggressive is the x2? Like compared to a 34c.
Much more aggressive! Had both. X2 was insane! Love the Merkur 34c, one of my favorite razors. I can shave with the 34c and never knicked me once. Impossible to knick, yet a smooth shave. The x2 on the other hand gave me lots of cuts and is very aggressive. My skin was irrtated.

Top Bottom