What's new

DS Cosmetics synthetic knots

Just received a 26mm yellow base and synthetic knot from DS. The knot base is 25mm and it's not what I'm used to from the Yaqis I have (R-L) - 24mm Moka, 24mm Sagrada Tux, 26mm Timber Wolf and 28mm Tux. All of those splay fairly easily, the 28mm Tux less so because it's very dense. There's a lot more backbone and less splay in this DS knot. It's less dense, 45mm at its widest, while the Yaqis are all around 50mm except the 28mm which is around 58mm. The tips are nice and soft, though.

The hole in the handle is 12mm deep, and when pushed right in the loft is 52mm. Total height is 102mm, handle is 50mm. Stated total height of knot is 65mm

Wondering how to set the loft here. Since the backbone is so firm, it doesn't seem to make so much difference right now in an unused knot, though I guess it might loosen up with use. It pushes in quite firmly so I'm sure I could try it out at 52mm loft and see. From trying it dry, the splay seems quite restricted and it might only be good for a painting motion.

I have an aluminium handle with a 28.5mm hole. That would allow for more splay if the knot did loosen up...... Ideas?

US $5.8 |DSCOSMETIC 24mm 26mm soft Synthetic hair shaving brush knots-in Shaving Brush from Beauty & Health on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Yaqis+DS.jpg

I would set it with a little silicone so you can test it for a bit, then if you like it set it with two-part epoxy if you don't it's easy to pull out and reset.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
You can also just get it wet and hold the plug in your hand and see how it goes when it is wet

I tried it out at 52mm loft, easy since the knot held tight without any help. It was extremely disappointing in all ways.
- the amount of backbone and lack of splay meant it was harder to pick up soap
- I could only get a fairly thin lather since the firmness of the knot meant it was wiping off the soap as you put it on.
- It wasn't very dense so the feel on the face was rather thin
- It felt rather pointy

Now, this may have been designed as a "synthetic boar" and if so I have no idea of who would be a happy user, since I've never used a boar brush. But for me it was a failure. Even if it could be made to splay more it would still lack density and it would probably still feel rather thin and pointy. My Yaqi Tuxedo knots are a world better - for me at least. Not sure if they sell the knots alone, but I'd be interested if they did.

Better news with today's shave. I was a bit hasty with the splay on this DS synth - it loosened up a bit. I'm unfamiliar with breaking in brushes so don't know what to expect. My Yaqis worked straight out of the box but the break-in here is different. I also had much better results with SV Felce than Klar Sport. Two things - the lather was better with SV and since it's a wider container than Klar it allowed the brush to splay and pick up more product. The Klar tin is ridiculously small, and didn't suit this brush at all. Plus the lather was thinner than SV.

So with better lather, this brush starts to work. I hope the splay continues to improve because I could see the firm backbone being useful if it does splay more. Jury is out just now.

Better news with today's shave. I was a bit hasty with the splay on this DS synth - it loosened up a bit. I'm unfamiliar with breaking in brushes so don't know what to expect. My Yaqis worked straight out of the box but the break-in here is different. I also had much better results with SV Felce than Klar Sport. Two things - the lather was better with SV and since it's a wider container than Klar it allowed the brush to splay and pick up more product. The Klar tin is ridiculously small, and didn't suit this brush at all. Plus the lather was thinner than SV.

So with better lather, this brush starts to work. I hope the splay continues to improve because I could see the firm backbone being useful if it does splay more. Jury is out just now.

I always like giving things a few tries before I pass judgement. They often don't work as I am used to, and many things improve with use.

Glad to hear your warming up to it, even though boars are better. :)

I installed it with a little silicone so I could test it a little bit, and then, installed it with two-part epoxy. I try to take care of myself and not let my hair down. I also have a bit of trouble with my eyelashes. They have been curly since birth; I would like to straighten them out a bit. My friend advised me to use Nicky Lashes eyelash lifts. Eyelash lifts are an excellent method to look beautiful and stylish. This is just what I needed. I will have a beautiful face and beautiful eyelashes!

Top Bottom