What's new

Drynuary?

That's an excellent idea. After indulging far too much over the holidays, and getting troubling blood glucose numbers, I'm back in the gym, eating healthier, and teetotaling would definitely help the whole situation.

On the other hand, I have a fishing cabin reserved with a couple of buddies on MLK weekend, so there's that...

That would be tough. It has to be hard trying to manage your glucose. I would be the most non-compliant diabetic ever.

Nope. I hardly drink alcohol, so I don't know why I should limit it further.

Good on you my friend. I think it's good for me to let the body clean out a bit every now and again.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I spent a good chunk of 2013 sans booze. I was glad to see how much I didn't need it.

Nope. I hardly drink alcohol, so I don't know why I should limit it further.

"I can stop anytime I want" is the typical claim of the addict ... who never puts his money where his mouth is, as it were. It's good for a guy to actually step away from his favourite pleasures for a bit, just to prove to himself that he is the one in control.

I spent a good chunk of 2013 sans booze. I was glad to see how much I didn't need it.

"I can stop anytime I want" is the typical claim of the addict ... who never puts his money where his mouth is, as it were. It's good for a guy to actually step away from his favourite pleasures for a bit, just to prove to himself that he is the one in control.

I did not read the post that way at all. There are plenty of people with addictions but one should not paint with too broad a brush, IMHO.

whoa there, hoss. A fair message, but I think you aimed at the wrong target.

Good on you my friend. I think it's good for me to let the body clean out a bit every now and again.
That surely won't harm indeed. If only to make sure drinking alcohol doesn't become a habit.

"I can stop anytime I want" is the typical claim of the addict ... who never puts his money where his mouth is, as it were.

I am a bit surprised that you quoted me there ... I cannot remember that I indicated somewhere that I would have a problem with limiting my alcohol consumption ...

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I did not read the post that way at all. There are plenty of people with addictions but one should not paint with too broad a brush, IMHO.

whoa there, hoss. A fair message, but I think you aimed at the wrong target.

Whoa there with all the whoa-there-s, hosses.

I didn't claim anyone here was an addict ... I pointed out that those of us who aren't addicts like to occasionally "walk the walk" that addicts cannot walk, by stepping away for a bit. I was, if anything, lauding the OP's non-addicty normalcy.

I am a bit surprised that you quoted me there ... I cannot remember that I indicated somewhere that I would have a problem with limiting my alcohol consumption ...

No, you just came in to post your "I don't have to bother with that thing you are doing".

Well one week in to it and all is well. Definitely craved a beer this past weekend but I substituted with herbal tea.

Glad to hear all is going well.

:thumbup:

No, you just came in to post your "I don't have to bother with that thing you are doing".

If you say so ...

I say you're putting words in my mouth. In a non-gentleman like way even.

The OP asked: "Anyone else doing something similar?" to which I answered truthfully that I personally saw no reason for myself. That only tells something about me (and maybe not what you are reading into it) and nothing about the OP, or his motives.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I plan to give up alcohol for lent, as I have done the last two years. In describing my drinking, I would say I'm on the high side of moderate, others might say I'm kidding myself. I am beginning to taper down my drinking so as not to go into DT's shortly after Ash Wednesday! Good thing to, as I'm running low on Wild Turkey and Tullamore Dew!

Occasional restraint ( day/s with zero alcohol) and moderation when consuming is a good thing, imho. Simply stating this as it applies to myself, well aware of my genetics. Glad this month is going well for you. :thumbup1:

Last edited:
Im doing something similar, but not exact. I'm avoiding beer this month just to see what happens (and because I'd like to get my scotch palate calibrated).

Nothing wrong with a little detox time. I know I like to cut things out for a while. Certain foods, purchases or even friends.

Sometimes I miss them, sometimes I don't.

After being in the 2013 sabbatical, I guess I can make it through anything.

Top Bottom