What's new

Drying some shaving cream in a jar

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I did an experiement this week. I know it won't work with everything, but I thought that I could always try with my $2.50 tube of Palmolive.

I left some cream in a jar (enough for 1 shave) and let it dry for 3 days. Shave #3 this morning and I still have some in there. The explosion of lather isn't as big as when I use the whole almond-worth but still, I probably used 50-60% of it now.

Just thought I could share this experience...

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I did an experiement this week. I know it won't work with everything, but I thought that I could always try with my $2.50 tube of Palmolive.

I left some cream in a jar (enough for 1 shave) and let it dry for 3 days. Shave #3 this morning and I still have some in there. The explosion of lather isn't as big as when I use the whole almond-worth but still, I probably used 50-60% of it now.

Just thought I could share this experience...

That makes perfect sense to me, there is always a very large amount of lather left in my brush at the end of the shave, and I would guess it's because we generally use more soap or cream than we really truly need to shave.

Luc

Staff member
That makes perfect sense to me, there is always a very large amount of lather left in my brush at the end of the shave, and I would guess it's because we generally use more soap or cream than we really truly need to shave.

I face lathered, as usual but yes, surprisingly, the brush isn't taking as much product as I would use with a cream... I charged it like I would usually charge it.

I've had a similar experience with a tube of Dettol. The end of the tube ruptured, so I squeezed it all out into a tupperware bowl. It thickened to about the consistency of a tub of Proraso. Since then, I feel like it's lasted much longer than it would have in the tube.

First, I did it with a tube of COBigelow/Proraso when the lid broke. I put it in wooden bowl with a lid and actually forgot about it for about 6 or 8 weeks. It had dried and hardened to about the consistency of a bar of Castile soap, or maybe a hard triple milled shaving soap.

Anyway, it shaves like a dream, lathers just great, the menthol isn't quite as pronounced, but it is definitely cold. It seems that being air dehydrated hasn't harmed it in any way.

Coming off that first experiment, I got two brand new 3.4 ounce tubes of Musgo Real and squeezed them both together into another wooden bowl with a lid, (left the lid off, of course!) and let them dry for about 7 weeks. Excellent results! It shrunk down to about half the original volume. It's about the same hardness as a puck of Tabac, and it lathers and shaves perfectly.

Immediately following the MR, I did it to a 5 ounce tube of La Toja Sensitive, and it is different, because the cream was more like a very thick lotion going in, so it didn't harden as firmly as the Musgo and the Bigelow, but it is about as firm as it needs to be. If I wanted to, I could shove my thumb down into it, but it wouldn't be easy.

So there you have it! No tubes to squeeze, no plastic lids to break or get the threads stripped, no lathering the cream in a lather bowl. Zero maintenance, just load the wet brush and lather on the wet face, and receive a very nice shave. That, plus it looks like it's going to last much longer as a hard soap than as a cream.

Last edited:

Luc

Staff member
All right, time to revive the thread as I had another idea this morning...

I currently have some Proraso cream, quite a bit... I'm going to have a shave stick tube that will be free soon so I can fill it with something else. I love the sticks. I was wondering if drying the Proraso cream would give me a proraso stick or if it would go bad just like Cella...

I don't think it would go bad like Cella but I'm unsure if it will work as the soap is soft to start with...

Any experience on doing this? A bit like Gary but in a stick...

Luc

Staff member
I'll try to give it a go soon...

Luc

Staff member
Process started.

I have a cap from a sample tub (1" diameter) and not deep so 1 layer of Proraso in the cap, left to dry.

12hrs later, it's starting to be hard but I can still press it. I will leave it alone for a week or so and check on it...

Can't believe Proraso never made shave sticks... Hope this works...

I currently have some Proraso cream, quite a bit... I'm going to have a shave stick tube that will be free soon so I can fill it with something else. I love the sticks. I was wondering if drying the Proraso cream would give me a proraso stick

I'd wait until the stick was done. Then, clean the container, dial up to a reasonable depth, and fill it with cream.

You can either just fill up the entire stick, or do it in layers - whichever works best. (I'd personally try the layers first)

I would think this would work better than letting the cream set up in one container and then trying to transfer it to the stick container.

Luc

Staff member
I'd wait until the stick was done. Then, clean the container, dial up to a reasonable depth, and fill it with cream.

You can either just fill up the entire stick, or do it in layers - whichever works best. (I'd personally try the layers first)

I would think this would work better than letting the cream set up in one container and then trying to transfer it to the stick container.

Just like Mythbusters... I'm doing a small scale experiment...

I would do it in the final container directly if this works...

I dn't know if it will scale. Since drying is an AREA function and there will be a VOLUME of cream hardening, it might take a LONG time to dessicate the whole volume. THen there is SKRINKAGE.

Maybe when it comes time to do it, you can make a HUGE flat piece, then "moosh" (a technical term) the mostly dried pieces into the shave stick? Imagine it is a pile of glycerin shavings or something?

Luc

Staff member
I dn't know if it will scale. Since drying is an AREA function and there will be a VOLUME of cream hardening, it might take a LONG time to dessicate the whole volume. THen there is SKRINKAGE.

Maybe when it comes time to do it, you can make a HUGE flat piece, then "moosh" (a technical term) the mostly dried pieces into the shave stick? Imagine it is a pile of glycerin shavings or something?

It might be a bit early for that but so far it didn't shrink... Same shape. It's true that making a whole stick will probably take more time. I plan to make the stick in layers so it can dry and won't remain soft in the middle.

Instead of doing a full stick and fail, I think it's better to do a small stick and see if it will fail! :001_smile

Could you let it dry then try microwaving or heating it and then pour it into the stick?

I'm unsure if I can microwave Proraso or not. I wouldn't...

Luc

Staff member
Good news and bad news.

Good: The Proraso sample stick is ready to use

Bad: I already shaved today, need to wait...

The soap didn't shrink at all and is currently very hard (Nothing like Cella, Monsavon, etc. not a soft soap).

I can still smell the menthol and soapy barbershop but it must be 1/10 of the strength vs the tube.

Luc

Staff member
The results?

It works!! I was very confident that it would to start with. My stick melted a bit quickly but it might require more time to dry. The lather was great as always! Time to make a big stick now!

I have a few older tubs of cream that have dehydrated over time. Honestly, I get some of my best shaves from these creams. I have a super dense finest Rooney brush that loves lathering up soap, so this drier cream is a perfect fit.

Top Bottom