What's new

Drying some shaving cream in a jar

Hey Luc, I contacted a while back on your whole process and I decided to undertake a similar project (because I simply love the smell of Proraso). I took an old Labello lip balm tube and filled it with proraso shave cream, creating in effect a mini-shave stick. It has worked out pretty well. Because of the smaller size I was only wating about 3-4 days in between layers. It has turned out very well.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hey Luc, I contacted a while back on your whole process and I decided to undertake a similar project (because I simply love the smell of Proraso). I took an old Labello lip balm tube and filled it with proraso shave cream, creating in effect a mini-shave stick. It has worked out pretty well. Because of the smaller size I was only wating about 3-4 days in between layers. It has turned out very well.

That's pretty cool and smaller scale experiment!! :thumbup1:

Mine seems to be turning all right, I just need to be patient!

Luc

Staff member
That seems to be the hardest part for me.

Oh yeah, the top seems rough because I kept poking it and twisting it up/down... After 2-3 shaves it will be all smooth again! :thumbup1:

Can you post a picture of yours?

Luc

Staff member
It's Sunday down under and on Sunday it's Proraso in my bathroom!

So, how to do it? I tried to squeeze out some lather to do a "row" or 1 layer in the tube, I left it like that for a week. I then repeated until I got the half tube as there's no point of doing a full tube if it will end-up in the rubbish.

I left the cap on top but opened as seen on picture 1 all the time. It prevented most of the dust to get in and it was still drying... Maybe not as quickly as having it in the open air...
View attachment 114924

I decided to try the stick, it feels hard enough. When I could move the soap up and down without anything falling, I pushed the lightly hardened cream out and left it out for 3 days.
View attachment 114925

The soap shrunk a bit (as seen on picture 3).
View attachment 114926

Those pictures are post usage #1. Conclusion of the experiment, success!! I got great lather!:thumbup:

I'm going to try this using some Ingram's that I've got stashed away in the shave den. Look's like a great way to get more shaves out of a tube of cream. Thank's Luc.

Clayton

Well, I've been using my Palmolive "soap" for the last few days.

I have to say I think it performs better as a soap than it did as a cream!

It isnt for the impatient, It's probably taken about 2 months to get to this point, but the wait was worth it.

I got some lemon palmolive cream as part of a trade, and the lid broke on me after the first use. I think I will do the same to it. Just put it somewhere and forget about it for a month or two.

Try it, you wont be dissappointed!

The food dehydrator thing works by the way. I have turned Proraso from cream to soap just by letting a bowl of it sit out for a few weeks in a cool, dry place. J.M. Fraser's, on the other hand, behaves very differently. I left a bowl of it out for about a month and even the very surface of it hadn't hardened much. Not being one to give up without a fight, I got out my food dehydrator, spread a thin layer of the cream on parchment paper and then dried it on racks in the dehydrator for about 24 hours. Presto! Peel the soap from the paper and press into your favorite bowl.

Well, Time for a thread bump.

The lemon palmolive I was talking about in my last post I found just recently. I'd squezed it into a tub, put it in the drawer inmy bathroom and forgotten about it.

We just did a bathroom renovation, and I found it. Took the lid off, and had a smell, still very lemony, and very hard!

Next shave I'll be giving it a try! I reckon almost 2 years is plenty of time for it to dry out! :)

Luc

Staff member
Well, Time for a thread bump.

The lemon palmolive I was talking about in my last post I found just recently. I'd squezed it into a tub, put it in the drawer inmy bathroom and forgotten about it.

We just did a bathroom renovation, and I found it. Took the lid off, and had a smell, still very lemony, and very hard!

Next shave I'll be giving it a try! I reckon almost 2 years is plenty of time for it to dry out! :)

That's pretty cool! Those creams seem to take much longer to be used... I might start making some shave sticks for myself...

just used it.

Nice lather, nice and slick. very little fragrance though. Still think it was worthwhile though!

I was glad to see this tried a couple of years ago, and enjoyed reading your thread and adding my story, I had purchased six tubs of the AOS Rose SC when they discontinued production.

After using up my first tub, I had opened another, all were kept sealed and stored in a cool dark closet. Anyway the Cream had totally dried into a semi-hard state, I could make an indent with my thumb, like pressing into a cream the consistency of P.160, maybe a bit drier.

I was too lazy to try re-hydrating a whole tub and just loaded my brush like I do with soap, ~45 seconds later I had a fine face lather and the scent returned as if it was new, I had a great shave and didn't observe anything wrong with my Lathers' Quality. The upside seems to be using less product, even when bowl lathering, which means I'll have plenty of AOS Rose to enjoy without worrying about it going "bad".

Oh, and I don't have to rush using my four tubs of J.M. Frasers Mosswood (2) or oriental Spice (2) :clap:

Last edited:
wonder if pressing and forming the soft soap into the container would work right away could workwith razorock too

So what's the theory behind this? Water evaporation from the cream thus making it hard?

Yes, less moisture turns the cream pasty and further drying gives it the consistency of a soft soap/hard cream. So far my AOS is still firm as I keep using it, it was stored ~8 months, though it was never opened, the moisture still escaped and hardened the cream.

Yes, less moisture turns the cream pasty and further drying gives it the consistency of a soft soap/hard cream. So far my AOS is still firm as I keep using it, it was stored ~8 months, though it was never opened, the moisture still escaped and hardened the cream.

Thank you for the answer.

I just posted about this separately, did not realize this thread was here. I actually posed the question to one of our vendors as well, and he indicated that keeping the cream sealed between uses would prevent the cream from going bad...but I have no idea what would cause a cream to go bad. Airborne bacteria seems to be a common source of spoilage, but this thread makes me think thats all very low risk. My plan was to take my tub of Proraso and transfer it to my apothecary mug and just leave it unsealed between uses. Not explicitly drying it out on purpose, just leaving the cream uncovered all the time. Is there really a danger of the cream spoiling or going bad if I do this? One of the posts in this thread mentioned Cella spoiling, what did that look like, or smell like, and what exactly in the soap is spoiling?

Starting my Proraso experiment tonight based on this thread. Going to pack half of my Proraso tub into the mug, keep shaving from the tub, and once the tub is done, I will switch to the mug and let's see what we get. Pictures, I promise...

Last edited:
Top Bottom