What's new

Drying cream in a jar

I prefer soap to cream so I am thinking about to transfer a tube of Noxzema or Lea cream in a jar and let it dry. Has anyone tried? With lid or without? How long I have to wait for it to solidify?

I have a croap that has dried out to soap like consistency, its gotta be at least 9 years old and it happened while i wasnt looking.

I gotta believe a cream depending on conditions (breeze from fan) would need to be stirred or spread thin to dry out with efficiency. Likely losing some scent and some volatiles.

If you want it to dry quickly, scoop it from the jar onto a plate, and divide it up in small pieces using a knife. It will generally become more like a soft soap over the course of a week or so. Put it back in the jar, press and smooth it out with the back of a spoon.

Last edited:
I prefer soap to cream so I am thinking about to transfer a tube of Noxzema or Lea cream in a jar and let it dry. Has anyone tried? With lid or without? How long I have to wait for it to solidify?
I do this all the time with La Toja cream. Squeeze into a tub, leave it open for a week or so until it becomes a bit firm to the touch, then use it.

Don't load too hard because depending in the thickness, the middle of the soap might still be soft. I just leave it open for a few weeks until the whole thing solidifies, but you can start using it after a week or so.

Next up for me is Gillette Pure

i've done this with a couple ounces of proraso single blade cream.
took about four weeks in open air, to dry adequately.

proraso wood spice plisson feather may 26 2018.jpg

i did it with a tube of Proraso red a while ago. Emptied the tube into a tin and put in a very low oven (150) for about 30 minutes and then let it sit in an open container for about a month. it was definitely harder than a cream but not as hard as a soap... it worked tho. I'd only recommend it if you need to deal with a cream you'd rather use as a soap.

I put the green proraso cream to dry. I will wait a few weeks before using it. Thanks for your advices!

Attachments

• IMG_20200831_105638.jpg
    IMG_20200831_105638.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Creams do harden over time, even if you keep the lid on the container. However, if might take a couple of years. If you leave the top off to hasten that process, the scented components will evaporate along with any moisture. Thus, if you prefer soaps, my suggestion is to purchase soaps. In my experience, the best soaps are superior to creams in performance. The primary advantage of a cream is that it is convenient to use. If you allow it to harden, you have removed that advantage.

Creams do harden over time, even if you keep the lid on the container. However, if might take a couple of years. If you leave the top off to hasten that process, the scented components will evaporate along with any moisture. Thus, if you prefer soaps, my suggestion is to purchase soaps. In my experience, the best soaps are superior to creams in performance. The primary advantage of a cream is that it is convenient to use. If you allow it to harden, you have removed that advantage.
I know! I prefer soaps but locally I find tubes only. I have to buy soaps online. This was open and half used so I try to get it to dry.

I know! I prefer soaps but locally I find tubes only. I have to buy soaps online. This was open and half used so I try to get it to dry.
It will dry much faster and more evenly if you take the stuff out of the jar and divide it into small pieces spread out on a plate. You could set it near the air con. It will never become like a hard soap, but the texture will become more firm.

It will dry much faster and more evenly if you take the stuff out of the jar and divide it into small pieces spread out on a plate. You could set it near the air con. It will never become like a hard soap, but the texture will become more firm.

Yes, I have read your advice, I will do so when it is more firm.

Top Bottom