What's new

Dry vs wet bulk tobacco

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I am always happy when I come across a drier tobacco out of the bulk packaging. I feel it gets me more bang for the buck. A pound of dry tobacco yields much more actual tobacco over wetter blends. It led me to ask this question here. Do you think manufacturers ever "intentionally" weigh down their tobaccos to "stretch" the mix so to speak?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think it’s possible, SG’s flake used to be unsmokable out the tin…incombustible almost without drying. At the same time the extra moisture means it lasts longer in an open tin, and IMO it ages better.

1g of water is 1 cubic centimeter of water, I don’t thing there are 5 grams of extra water in a tin, do you? That’s a lot of water, but assuming there is 5g, not a big deal to you and me, but some one selling 10 tons of tobacco, big money lol.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I ALWAYS pretty much smoked "store brand" Borkum Riff, and just assumed it HAD to be "moister".... My Dad almost exclusively smoked PA and would often put an apple slice in it because it would get too dry, even for him.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I like my sealed tubs to open on the wetter side. That way, after a couple days, they stay fairly optimal to me as I work my way to the bottom. Tins and pouches are a different story.

Don't want it to get too dry, or some of the flavors can start to fade a little. Although the one broken tin I received of Scottish Mixture a while back still smoked pretty tasty to nearer the end.

We just covered that over at the Cabin in regards to some of the bulk Sutliff OTC matches. They pack them a little moist, but it works out fine for the most part.

I assume some gamesmanship; however, my assumption is the vast majority also prefer drying tobacco to rehydrating.

I find it is usually the heavier cased and topped aromatics that are the wettest.
I buy a lot from Country Squire, Wilke, Watch City and Peretti and they are all about equivalent as to my reckoning.

Some need to be laid out a bit before, like Wilke Rum Cake (personal favorite) for a bit before hand.

Others like Skiff, Cabbie's and my beloved Squadron Leader come out of the 250g box drier than a popcorn fart...almost to the point I have to rehydrate.

My daily morning blend is KBV BMP and I keep it in a mason jar on the desk.
When I first refill I have to lay it out, usually about as long as it takes to make a cup of joe, then load the pipe.
But after a few days it reaches a sort of equilibrium in terms of moisture.
YMMV

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Interesting that the SG ribbons and coins were so dry. I think they are less wet than maybe 7 years ago, but a dry popcorn fart is pretty darn dry.

Top Bottom