What's new

Dry, sore skin under moustache.

Hello all,

I'm actually bald-faced currently because of this very issue, but I have a couple of weeks until I start at my new job and figured I'd grow a beard out in that time.

In the past I always got dry, flaky skin under my moustache. Even when clean shaven it's an area I have to moisturise or it dries out, I'm just not sure how that would work with a beard.

I don't have a long beard by any means, just around my mouth and chin and keep it quite short, but it does bother me how blotchy my skin looks under the hairs in addition to the dry and flaky skin.

Do I need beard oil?

Many thanks!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Beard oil may well help. I make my own

50% Fractionated Coconut Oil
25% Golden Jojoba
25% Argan oil

I did have some skin issues when I first started growing my beard/moustache longer, and that oil blend made a very positive difference for me. A soft pure bristle brush (I use a Kent brush) can help too.

Beard oil may well help. I make my own

50% Fractionated Coconut Oil
25% Golden Jojoba
25% Argan oil

I did have some skin issues when I first started growing my beard/moustache longer, and that oil blend made a very positive difference for me. A soft pure bristle brush (I use a Kent brush) can help too.
+1
Beard oil both conditions the hair, and the skin underneath. The brush exfoliates the skin.

Mine did the same. I’m talking big flakes. Get some selsun blue. That’s what my dr told me to do. Stopped it in it’s tracks.

@Clay S Give it a try. I shaved mine completely off and was smothering it with cocoa butter lotion. I tried the selsun blue.... no trouble since. I started using it every other day now I use it a couple days a week. It smells like listerine to me. Lol. It works though. I wear black a lot and I was flaking all over my shirts. Now I’m all black and not dry skin on my shirt

I had a similar thing happening around the top of my sideburns.
I went at it for a couple of days with Head & Shoulders 2-in-1 (shampoo plus conditioner) and a nail brush, and it cleared right up.
The product did exactly what they said it would do, Who'd a' thunk it?

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis (aka "dandruff"). It presents as red, blotchy, flaky patches in areas around the nose and eyebrows, and under your moustache and beard, as well as on your scalp. I control mine by using Head & Shoulders, and, about every two weeks, Nizoral. Works fine, as I use the shampoo to wash both my hair and my Van Dyke and face. (Selsun works fine, too.)

I also use H&S conditioner as a pre-shave and beard conditioner. Works well in those roles, plus it provides an extra measure of protection against SD.

Hope this helps you.

Sounds like seborrheic dermatitis (aka "dandruff"). It presents as red, blotchy, flaky patches in areas around the nose and eyebrows, and under your moustache and beard, as well as on your scalp. I control mine by using Head & Shoulders, and, about every two weeks, Nizoral. Works fine, as I use the shampoo to wash both my hair and my Van Dyke and face. (Selsun works fine, too.)

I also use H&S conditioner as a pre-shave and beard conditioner. Works well in those roles, plus it provides an extra measure of protection against SD.

Hope this helps you.
This is a very good response. I was coming to write the same thing. i am not your dermatologist but by the sounds of it it may well be SD, which is a common ailment believed to be an inflammatory reaction to fungus that grows on our skin. If you use a Head and Shoulders (or any Zing Pyrithione based shampoo) lather it onto the trouble areas and leave it for a few minutes before rinsing.
If the OTC shampoos do not help alleviate your symptoms then you may do well to see a physician to prescribe a topical antifungal cream which is the actual treatment for the condition.Oh and FYI, moisturizers typically don't help Seborrheic dermatitis

Hello all,

I'm actually bald-faced currently because of this very issue, but I have a couple of weeks until I start at my new job and figured I'd grow a beard out in that time.

In the past I always got dry, flaky skin under my moustache. Even when clean shaven it's an area I have to moisturise or it dries out, I'm just not sure how that would work with a beard.

I don't have a long beard by any means, just around my mouth and chin and keep it quite short, but it does bother me how blotchy my skin looks under the hairs in addition to the dry and flaky skin.

Do I need beard oil?

Many thanks!

Check the post I made about not being able to have a beard. I get dry sore skin everywhere I had the beard. I am keeping a short one this time but using maestros beard butter. It's more like lotion than most butters and balms. Oil for me gives me oily pimples on my skin. But maestros beard butter doesn't do any of that. The speakeasy scent is a great vanilla tobacco scent as well.

Fo years, I used regular shampoo to wash my beard. But, sometimes it made the skin under my beard flaky and irritated. Using a conditioner didn't help. I tried Head & Shoulders, but the medicine-y smell bothered me.

Then, I saw Proraso's Single Blade beard wash at the drug store. It was $15 for a 200ml bottle. The label stated that it's both a beard and skin cleanser. The website mentioned that it uses "antiseptic action" to kill the aforementioned fungus that causes dandruff.

Anyway, I used it as instructed and the irritation and flakiness went away. Now, even though I don't have flaky skin under my beard anymore, I use it regularly because it makes my beard smell nice.

Top Bottom