What's new

Dry-skinned gents, ...

(And I mean people with dry skin, not combo)
Do u have a different routine/different products for hot-humid summers? (details please)

function of age? or environment? or genetics? or some combination of the above? Since you choose to not reveal your age or location, I'll pass on your genome..:001_rolle

Rafikz,

First I want to be sure that you are speaking about dry skin (lacking oil) as opposed to dehydrated skin (lacking moisture.) This is an impt distinction as they have many similarities. Dehydrated skin looks dry, scaly and flaky. It "feels" tight. When gently pulled, the skin looks like the skin of an onion (crinkles.) It is particularly more evident on the nose and forehead. It can be caused by lack of sufficient oil to prevent evaporation of natural moisture w/i the skin, poor metabolism and/or insufficient water intake. Dehydration is aggravated by too much sun and wind; not using sunscreens and/or protective mosturizers; using inappropriate shaving/skincare products; cleansing with harsh soaps and water; drinking a lot of tea, coffee, soda or diuretics. Someone with dry skin will usually have pores that are barely visible. If you're truly dry, your routine really isn't going to change all that much. The best routine in COOLER climates is to "layer" - use a humectant (hylauronic acid for example) to draw water to the skin and then some type of occlusive moisturizer to keep that moisture in. Same at nite, just a little heavier b/c nite air is drier. In general, don't completely towel dry your face (or body for that matter) before applying products - keep things damp. In WARMER months when there's more moisture in the air, you can generally get away with just a moisturizer or serum. Back to dehydration - I personally find that many men see a result with an exfoliant for instance and then over do it in an attempt to achieve greater results. They wind up removing the defensive perimeter on the skin and allowing precious moisture to escape. Hot water dehydrates the skin and so I advise people to turn down the temp. a bit and certainly try not to place your face directly under the shower head having hot water beating on it (this can also cause distended capillaries.) The same way that a detergent cuts through grease in a fry pan, harsh ingredients in shaving/cleansing products cut through the fatty barrier of the skin, allowing moisture to escape. Drinking more water helps but proper products are key. If you're dehydrated as opposed to dry, you need to examine some of the triggers above and make adjustments to your lifestyle and products in terms of ingredients. Hope that helps.

I was wondering if there would be any interest if I started a thread to initially dispel/debunk some commons skin myths. For example: pores open and close, the skin breathes, saunas clean out my skin/pores, I can moisturize from the top down, Crisco works best, there are only 3 skin types, healthy soap and water, I only need sunscreen in the summer, etc. It would be of an informative nature while still allowing for questions/individual concerns. Anyone in favor???

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
I was wondering if there would be any interest if I started a thread to initially dispel/debunk some commons skin myths. For example: pores open and close, the skin breathes, saunas clean out my skin/pores, I can moisturize from the top down, Crisco works best, there are only 3 skin types, healthy soap and water, I only need sunscreen in the summer, etc. It would be of an informative nature while still allowing for questions/individual concerns. Anyone in favor???

Nicole, that sounds like a good thread. I look forward to reading it. Thank you.

I'll vote with my distinguished colleague from the Great State of Texas! That would be a great thread. I remember my 8th grade science teacher telling us to use "rough" towels and wash cloths to slough off the dead skin. It would be interesting to get an update.

Randy

GentsLLC Shaving-Skincare said:
Rafikz,

First I want to be sure that you are speaking about dry skin (lacking oil) as opposed to dehydrated skin (lacking moisture.) This is an impt distinction as they have many similarities. Dehydrated skin looks dry, scaly and flaky. It "feels" tight. When gently pulled, the skin looks like the skin of an onion (crinkles.) It is particularly more evident on the nose and forehead. It can be caused by lack of sufficient oil to prevent evaporation of natural moisture w/i the skin, poor metabolism and/or insufficient water intake. Dehydration is aggravated by too much sun and wind; not using sunscreens and/or protective mosturizers; using inappropriate shaving/skincare products; cleansing with harsh soaps and water; drinking a lot of tea, coffee, soda or diuretics. Someone with dry skin will usually have pores that are barely visible. If you're truly dry, your routine really isn't going to change all that much. The best routine in COOLER climates is to "layer" - use a humectant (hylauronic acid for example) to draw water to the skin and then some type of occlusive moisturizer to keep that moisture in. Same at nite, just a little heavier b/c nite air is drier. In general, don't completely towel dry your face (or body for that matter) before applying products - keep things damp. In WARMER months when there's more moisture in the air, you can generally get away with just a moisturizer or serum. Back to dehydration - I personally find that many men see a result with an exfoliant for instance and then over do it in an attempt to achieve greater results. They wind up removing the defensive perimeter on the skin and allowing precious moisture to escape. Hot water dehydrates the skin and so I advise people to turn down the temp. a bit and certainly try not to place your face directly under the shower head having hot water beating on it (this can also cause distended capillaries.) The same way that a detergent cuts through grease in a fry pan, harsh ingredients in shaving/cleansing products cut through the fatty barrier of the skin, allowing moisture to escape. Drinking more water helps but proper products are key. If you're dehydrated as opposed to dry, you need to examine some of the triggers above and make adjustments to your lifestyle and products in terms of ingredients. Hope that helps.

Well, thanks for the detailed analysis.
I would say my skin type is more dry than dehydrated. I just wanted to know what dry-skinned BBers use winter and summer

Top Bottom