What's new

Dry skin

I do not have enough knowledge about soaps and what is hidden in the products.
After doing face lathering for a while, I have started to wonder if my skin can handle all the soap products. I think especially when I build the lather that goes on for several minutes, 4 times a week.
I notice that the skin dries faster, and it is a little strange at this time of the year when the humidity is higher. I'm also a little worried about what this might do to the skin in the long run. Has there been any research on how the skin reacts when exaggerating the use of chemicals?

Maybe it's better for my skin if I switch to bowl lathering?

The reason why I only shave 2/3 times a week and I only try to use fairly natural based soap/creams and aftershave balms since I don't want to stress my skin to much, it took me a while to find out which products, razor and blades suited me best

Bowl lathering has a lot of advantages but helping with dry skin is not a particular advantag. Many of the new soaps now are superfatted and should actually be nourishing to the skin.

Which soaps are you using? It might be worth trying Wholly Kaw, Zingari Man, Saponificio Varesino or Mikes Naturals. Among others these all full of natural butters and oils and leave a very good post shave feeling.

Are you using anything to treat your dry skin? I have slightly dry/sensitive skin myself and find that exfoliation combined with a good moisturizer/hyaluronic acid is a very effective treatment. I only use MdC soaps, they leave the skin neutral which I much prefer over 'fatty' soaps..

(I think it's important not to confuse dry skin with skin that needs exfoliation)

I prefer to face-lather soaps that provide good/great skin conditioning. If I have especially dry skin, for example during the winter months, I finish with a moisturizer like CeraVe which works well for me! :a29:

I have dry skin and use CeraVe with sunblock in the morning and a hydrating cream at bedtime. It keeps the dry flakiness at bay. I use TOBBs cream, which seems to help while my forehead and top of my head seem a bit dry, my face feels great.

If you shave daily it is good to moisturise after the shave. Probably more important in the dryer weather.

Many of the new soaps now are superfatted and should actually be nourishing to the skin.
My usual shaving routine is to shave every other day. Sometimes I wait for three days and other times I shave two days in a row

After shaving, my skin is fine and moist but it seems that the fat in the soap makes the skin screams for more moisture after 1-2 days.

If I wait shaving for three days and apply moisturizer on day 2, my face is like a sponge. Therefore, I wondered if this could have something to do with the fat soap that lying on my face for a long time during face lathering.

I just have a feeling that the more chemicals I put on my face, the more chemicals the skin needs to compensate for the products I already have applied to my face.

Last edited:
I’m not a doc,but face vs bowl lather would not seem to make any difference. Be sure you do a good rinse and wipe on face after shaving. Use any good face or skin moisturizer sparingly after the shave and later before bed. I like institut karite

I disagree with several of the gents on this thread.
If your face is dry, I highly doubt it is from the soaps. I would suspect it is from over-exfoliation. Face lathering, especially for as long as you say you sometimes do, can definitely cause problems. Brush rash is not all that uncommon. Also, over-shaving can also be harmful, or shaving with bad technique.

If I were you I would switch to bowl lathering for a while and see what happens. If that alone solves your problem, you figured it out. If it does not, I would switch to every other day shaving, and see what happens.

Putting on a moisturizer at night is not a horrible idea, either.

Top Bottom