What's new

Dry skin from electric razor shaving

I used to get this a lot when I was in my Braun phase now either use a good moisturiser or do what I did I swapped to de wet shaving no more dry skin .

I go back and forth from de, straight, cartridge and electric. I am now using an electric, after a six years away from it. I will try more Moisturizers. Thanks.

I have never had a problem with dry skin on my face from shaving with an electric shaver. I get dry skin on other parts of my body, but never in nearly 60 years of shaving dry with an electric shaver have I had a dry skin problem. In the last 25 or 30 years, I shave with my face dry before washing it or showering and haven’t used anything on my face including preshave powder nor after shave lotions or liquids.

My skin is super oily so I can't relate but as I get older I get random bouts of dryness in areas like my hands and chin. My skin is also very picky to many lotions, balms, etc. I use plain witch hazel exclusively, a splash of Osage rub on extra hot days, and plain aloe for my dry patches. I've found different bath/hand soaps can help, for example I recently switched bar soaps with great success.

@VBH37118 This may be a stretch but roll with me here..

You may have had a dry skin issue already and have been unaware. If you typically wet shave, even with an electric, the scrubbing action of the brush (and scraping action of the blade if you also typically use a blade) could be knocking away the signs of dry skin: flakes. Since dry Electric shaving doesn't disturb this outer layer you may see the visible signs of dry skin and assume it's related to the dry shave. Growing a beard/not shaving for an extended period also may not show this issue either as the growth of longer facial hairs helps to push these flakes off while simultaneously producing more natural oils which acts as a moisturizer.

If your Electric shaver is wet/dry, try using it with lather. If it isn't, or you prefer dry shaving, use a dry brush to scrub your skin first.

You are right, I have always had dry skin. Electric shaving must just bring it to my Attention more. I just bought a facial scrub today, I will use it every other day and see what happens plus Moisturizers. Thank you for your help.

You are right, I have always had dry skin. Electric shaving must just bring it to my Attention more. I just bought a facial scrub today, I will use it every other day and see what happens plus Moisturizers. Thank you for your help.

Im usually an advocate of dry Electric shaving before showering/washing the face but in your case you honestly may find a closer and more comfortable Electric shave if you wash first, in addition to helping with the dry skin. Good luck!

I've dealt with dry skin due to shaving before- I seem to be prone to it now days.

Foil shavers like Remington or Braun's more aggressive M-60 or the older Syncro tend to do that for me occasionally. According to some European scientific research I read on electric shaving, dry skin can be a symptom of irritation from electric shaving

At any rate, the irritation is minor compared to what I got from wet shaving with a blade. A little bit of moisturizer or aftershave balm is usually sufficient to deal with it. Gillette's Sensitive aftershave gel is something I use routinely, but if I do a foil shave I might use something like Pacific Shave Company's Caffeine aftershave balm.

I'd recommend using something like Cetaphil in place of soap. Also, you need to be careful using mechanical exfoliation. Many of the scrubs out there are just too harsh if you are prone to dry or sensitive skin. Using a weak salicylic acid solution for acne, around 0.25%, would be a gentler way to exfoliate. Stridex makes some acne pads for sensitive skin that are good for this (they also contain aloe and actually make a decent aftershave treatment, as a result).

Last edited:
Afta PreElectric. Then if you need: a balm....any balm...depending on what you like... Trader Joes has some antioxidizing face cream for ladies...that stuff beats everything (for the price).

Afta PreElectric. Then if you need: a balm....any balm...depending on what you like... Trader Joes has some antioxidizing face cream for ladies...that stuff beats everything (for the price).I have been using a face scrub a couple of times a week plus a coconut oil that seems to be working. Thank you all for the help.

Top Bottom