What's new

Dry skin care

Hi guys, I suffer from dry skin and was wondering what products you’ve used that have worked. Any tips and advice would be amazing!! Cheers, James

I've actually found that shaving using good quality soap has really helped and I noticed that most of them contain coconut oil so I got hold of a small tub of raw coconut oil from a health shop for £1. I use it for the dry skin on my forehead and it's better than any moisturiser I've used. It's quite hard but melts on contact with your skin. I usually splash my face with cold water afterwards and pat dry to help keep my pores closed. I've also heard that raw, natural shea butter is very good. I think Stirling soaps sell it.

Wes

I've been able to deal with any dryness after shaving, especially during the winter months when our heat is blasting constantly, by using a balm as part of my aftershave routine. We have gas fired steam heat so the radiators literally bake the air in the house, creating a very dry environment. After I apply witch hazel, I'll use TOBS Luxury Aftershave Balm. I've tried a few and I find this one works the best without being greasy. It absorbs easily into my skin and allows me to apply an aftershave splash as well without any noticeable dryness. I suppose an aftershave with a fair amount of alcohol could counteract the benefits of a balm but my skin isn't really really dry so it works for me. If I had normally dry skin I'd just use the balm and skip the splash.

For me, it's using a good quality moisturizer before retiring at night. I happen to use CeraVe but there are other good ones out there, too. If you have dry skin it is advisable to avoid alcohol aftershaves and look for a quality aftershave balm.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream. Recommended by my Dermatologist and it absolutely works.

I use it as a regular Aftershave Balm. Also use it during the day if I feel the need.

Wearing all night really helps.

Just my opinion and YMMV.

My face is incredibly dry - I know my job doesn't help but when I am in the air I drink gallons of water. It is literally peeling off and I am quite scared. I have just come off the pill so I suppose my body is going through some changes.

My face is incredibly dry - I know my job doesn't help but when I am in the air I drink gallons of water. It is literally peeling off and I am quite scared. I have just come off the pill so I suppose my body is going through some changes.

I have just come off the pill so I suppose my body is going through some changes.

Kodi Lucky Patcher

Vitamin E oil.

What a magic potion this has been for my ultra dry skin!!

Nothing else was working, especially in the harsh winters but boy, the vitamin E oil was a God send! Just two drops mixed in a bit of cetaphil lotion.

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
I use Pure, Raw, Unrefined, Organic Shea Butter, after bathing and shaving. It works great!

I have somewhat sensitive skin and my lower face is drier than it was due to shaving and off-and-on brush burn. I've been having better skin, and better shave experiences, since I started using night cream.

Currently I'm using some stuff I found at Big Lots - Rose Dead Sea Minerals Night Cream. It's marketted towards women, I am gathering, but it's basically unfragranced. It does have rose oil but it isn't all that prominent in terms of the scent, which basically smells like nothing.

Rose is good stuff. I've been rubbing rosewater on a scar I had on my arm and it's starting to fade.

Last edited:
Another super +1 for Cerave.. had chronic dry skin areas always made the razor jump but it slowly got rid on them all. And super cheap in a pump container to boot.i used to use it has night cream and after the shave but now most of the time it is just as preshave. Gets the skin in great shape for the coming blade. Highly recommended. JM

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If your skin is actually peeling off I think you should see a dermatologist for sure.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

For my normal dry skin I've tried all sorts of things with some success including Noxzema (the Equate knock off is better than the brand), Cremo Moisturizer, shea butter, and what may be the most effective product so far (pictured).

Seriously, I think a dermatologist is called for.

Good luck with this,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.

If your skin is actually peeling off I think you should see a dermatologist for sure.

HyaluronicAcidForFaces.480.jpg

For my normal dry skin I've tried all sorts of things with some success including Noxzema (the Equate knock off is better than the brand), Cremo Moisturizer, shea butter, and what may be the most effective product so far (pictured); I apply it and then after a few minutes apply my splash or a moisturizer such as Cremo.

Good luck with this,

Jim

View attachment 1031361

For my normal dry skin I've tried all sorts of things with some success including Noxzema (the Equate knock off is better than the brand), Cremo Moisturizer, shea butter, and what may be the most effective product so far (pictured).

Good luck with this,

Jim

That serum is for making more collagen in the skin so that it doesn't become wrinkly. If somebody has genuinely dry skin, they probably need a heavy moisturizer, possibly one containing shea or lanolin.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
That serum is for making more collagen in the skin so that it doesn't become wrinkly. If somebody has genuinely dry skin, they probably need a heavy moisturizer, possibly one containing shea or lanolin.

I don't know anything about what it's supposed to be for. It was recommended to me to help with dry skin. I tried it. It helped and quickly. I use it under Dragonsbeard Skin Food Splash or under a moisturizer (usually Cremo Moisturizer) or in a palm made balm with Cremo Moisturizer and another splash.

It sure works better for me than just a moisturizer, but I'm not a skin scientist and didn't stay last night in a Holiday Inn Express.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom