What's new

Dry Horn + Neatsfoot Oil = Happy Horn

The horn scales on this bad boy were looking dry, so I applied a very light amount of 100% neatsfoot oil using a cotton swab. Works wonders.

The before and after difference is more pronounced in person than in the below photos.

Use 100% pure neatsfoot oil, not neatsfoot oil compound.

1640092417162.png

Before.

1640092616764.png

After.

1640092657013.png

I have with new acquisition, that are badly in need of hydration, placed the whole razor, (fully pinned) in a Ziploc freezer bag and fill with Neetsfoot oil so the razor is submerged and left for days and weeks, when I forget.

It will not harm the steel, actually makes it easier to scrub off any rust on the blade with steel wool and WD40, (my standard first quick cleaning of any razor).

Wipe them down and let dry a few days before making any repairs to holes or crack in horn scales with horn dust and CA glue.

A few years ago, when I was restoring a number of Sheffield’s, I kept the same oil in the bag, in a plastic food storage box and reused the oil for months, adding as needed.

It will not harm the steel, actually makes it easier to scrub off any rust on the blade with steel wool and WD40, (my standard first quick cleaning of any razor).

If I am restoring a razor and unpin the scales, I always treat them with neatsfoot oil, but I have been hesitant to let it touch the pivot pins of the razors I am using.

Sounds like I can relax and be more liberal with the razors I am using.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Would Ballistol work as an alternative if you didn’t have Neatsfoot oil?
I would not use a mineral based oil. A plant or animal based oil would be a better substitute. Beef tallow maybe.Mink oil? Neatsfoot is hands down the best treatment for horn or leather, though. Good for horn scales. A couple of drops annually for your hanging leather strops. A generous amount on your boots and belts. It is worthwhile to get a small bottle anyway, so no need to use substitutes.

I would not use a mineral based oil. A plant or animal based oil would be a better substitute. Beef tallow maybe.Mink oil? Neatsfoot is hands down the best treatment for horn or leather, though. Good for horn scales. A couple of drops annually for your hanging leather strops. A generous amount on your boots and belts. It is worthwhile to get a small bottle anyway, so no need to use substitutes.
The saddlery shops here sell it by the gallon. That should last a while!

Last edited:
I have a real horn handle brush I use the neatsfoot oil on. I was told it's important to use the oil and not the blend. It always reminds me of the Peanuts comic strip. Charlie Brown is holding his baseball glove. He says to Sally, who's watching TV, "Well, I think I'll put some neatsfoot oil on the ol' glove and put it away for the winter." Then Linus comes over. "Is Charlie Brown here?" he asks Sally. "I think he went outside," she says. "He said something about how neat it was walking around with gloves on your feet during the winter."

• Haha
Reactions: Cal
Top Bottom