What's new

Dry, cracking hands

I work in a freezer and have very dry skin anyway. My girlfriend is a CNA and the alcohol hand sanitizers do a number on her hands. The best I have found that is available at most stores is O'Keeffe's working hands. It goes on not very greasy but does wonders for both of our hands.

Bag Balm, from Vermont Dairy Association, in the square green tin. Comes up first on Amazon when you type in just the two words.

Bag Balm, from Vermont Dairy Association, in the square green tin. Comes up first on Amazon when you type in just the two words.
I used Bag Balm for years...very good stuff. But I find Badger Balm much better -- and I find its organic ingredients a lot more comforting than the chemicals in Bag Balm. I remember a YT video which said that Badger Balm could be used as emergency food...I'm not going to do that...just sayin'. I use Badger Balm for lips too...I wouldn't go that with Bag Balm!

I used Bag Balm for years...very good stuff. But I find Badger Balm much better -- and I find its organic ingredients a lot more comforting than the chemicals in Bag Balm. I remember a YT video which said that Badger Balm could be used as emergency food...I'm not going to do that...just sayin'. I use Badger Balm for lips too...I wouldn't go that with Bag Balm!
Thanks for the update; I needed to be dragged into the badgerful 21st century.

YuskinA. A Japanese cream, available on Amazon and also sold in the states as Yube if you can find it in a store. My girlfriend grabbed a tube of it in a design store in Portland called Canoe. Only place I've ever seen it. Best thing I've ever used for cracked hands and feet. Weleda is also a good call.

I'll second the call out for lanolin. Knitters (who use wool) also tend to have softer hands.

I use CeraVe as my lotion of choice, the one that is sold in the tub container (I bought a pump for it). It's the best for me. I also make sure I moisturize while my hands are still slightly damp and then just keep rubbing everything in until no longer damp. If my hands are super dry I'll do gloves at night over vaseline. I use a combination of Vaseline and CeraVe on my body as well. The Vaseline keeps the lotion locked on and that seems to help.

I will also say that using super hot water is a major cause of dryness. I'm not a germ expert but if you are using antibac soap, not sure how hot your water has to be but take it down a few notches if you can and that'll help. Hot water is not a friend of skin that has a tendency to be dry.

I'll second the call out for lanolin. Knitters (who use wool) also tend to have softer hands.

I use CeraVe as my lotion of choice, the one that is sold in the tub container (I bought a pump for it). It's the best for me. I also make sure I moisturize while my hands are still slightly damp and then just keep rubbing everything in until no longer damp. If my hands are super dry I'll do gloves at night over vaseline. I use a combination of Vaseline and CeraVe on my body as well. The Vaseline keeps the lotion locked on and that seems to help.

I will also say that using super hot water is a major cause of dryness. I'm not a germ expert but if you are using antibac soap, not sure how hot your water has to be but take it down a few notches if you can and that'll help. Hot water is not a friend of skin that has a tendency to be dry.
Interesting...another reason to consider cold shaving. However, one's skin is drier in the winter, so cold washing (face or hands) might be a little uncomfortable (except for those of you in MN or ME).

workinghands.com

Also, I have a friend who swears by Carmex.
I used to use Carmex for my lips. But, IIRC, it has lanolin in it, and I developed a bad reaction to that. I searched for a hypoallergenic lip balm, and found Badger Balm...and I (and SWMBO) am now a user of many of their products.

O'keefe's Working Hands - inexpensive, readily available, made in the USA by an American man and his daughter. LOVE this stuff and it's one of those one jar lasts forever products.

Cornhusker's lotion. Inexpensive, rapidly goes from gel to sticky to dry, and is effective for chapped hands

I keep it on my desk by my computer and use it in the evening while here. Does go on a little greasy and takes some time to soak in but does a good job and the tin lasts forever.

Also use Gold Bond and Corn Huskers, and in a pinch, whatever my wife has handy!

+1 for Badger Balm

Here's a picture of the balm I use... The Hand Stuff.

proxy.php

The wife loves Stirling Soap Co.'s "Heel and palm balm". $7.50 for a 4 oz tub and a little goes a long way. Contains lanolin, beeswax, shea butter, etc... Good stuff.

Cal Bens Soap company makes an almond skin lotion that I like. All natural, not too greasy, absorbs quickly, and not overpowering smell. As a man I find most skin lotions to be way to feminine in their leanings. Nothing wrong with that, but being a guy I can't use them.
Cal Bens lotion is an answer. Mom-and-pop type company, customer service is great, no frills packaging. They offer a two ounce size for mobile carry - I buy them a half dozen at a time to give away to friends and co-workers to try before they commit to a pint bottle. A great find!

Almond Hand & Body Lotion | Cal Ben ~ Five Star Soap Products

Top Bottom