What's new

Dry coticule finish...

I gave that a try today. It took me a while getting around to it but I honed a razor on a dry coti for about 100 laps.
The first wtg pass felt amazing smooth wise but subsequent passes were less spectacular and atg it left a little stubble on the chin.
But I just re read your opening post and noted that you honed until the razor stuck, whereas I just gave it 100 laps or so. I’ll give it another try and see if I can get it to stick. I think I just assumed the sticking would only happen under running water.

I gave that a try today. It took me a while getting around to it but I honed a razor on a dry coti for about 100 laps.
The first wtg pass felt amazing smooth wise but subsequent passes were less spectacular and atg it left a little stubble on the chin.
But I just re read your opening post and noted that you honed until the razor stuck, whereas I just gave it 100 laps or so. I’ll give it another try and see if I can get it to stick. I think I just assumed the sticking would only happen under running water.
It can happen on a dry coticule too but usually on my really hard ones and that's with some pressure. Get it to stick on running water, then let your coticule dry and try the dry coticule. That's what I've started doing with coticules since the op.

I honed the same razor on the same coti today under running water as usual.
Normally this only takes about 30 laps before it’s stuck fast but today took about 150.
Do you think that using the stone without water yesterday is responsible? Any idea what happened?

I honed the same razor on the same coti today under running water as usual.
Normally this only takes about 30 laps before it’s stuck fast but today took about 150.
Do you think that using the stone without water yesterday is responsible? Any idea what happened?

Using without water will never get as close as running water when trying to get steel to stone.
The water washes away the swarf to make contact easier.
Never felt the need to use running water but if that works for you then keep doing it:)
Typically dry honing will not yield as good of results as using a washing/cleaning medium.

Using without water will never get as close as running water when trying to get steel to stone.
The water washes away the swarf to make contact easier.
Never felt the need to use running water but if that works for you then keep doing it:)
Typically dry honing will not yield as good of results as using a washing/cleaning medium.
For most of my coticules this is very true but I've got a super hard, glassy, vintage one that seems to perk up a ton of I go full dilucot > running water> sticking> let coticule dry then about 30 rolling x strokes> leathers. It's all for fun, I usually throw it on the arks if I want it crazy sharp, just an odd phenomenon I noticed on that old coticule. I'm ready to invest in a big les latneuses so I can have the best of both worlds. It's hard for me to python up a razor without dragging it across an ark a little. I think fast arks are probably my favorite stones without question.

Top Bottom