What's new

Dry brush, soap dust?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I clean my brushed thoroughly using most of the methods above. But in addition, because our tap water leaves behind a white scum if we boil water in a pan, I know there will be some residue left behind, even when I do a final rinse in filtered water.

So, I bought some Ship-Shape Comb and Brush cleaner to use every so often. It's available on Amazon or beauty supply stores, if you prefer.

Both of my natural hair brushes puff out clouds of soap dust when dry, if I wipe the tips.
I reckon it's the chemicals in your water that are combining with the soap residue and clinging to the brush hairs.

Scroll down to, and read "4. Why does my shaving brush lose hair?" on THIS Shavemac page. Unfortunately the video at the end of that is no longer working. YouTube says:
1660343378089.png

Perhaps Rudy (@Rudy Vey) would ask Bernd to reinstate it... ?

My brushes have always looked spotless. But before I discovered the "dry brush wipe over" trick, my handles started to crack:
Omega-10015-Problem-1_2017-01-20.jpg

There was so much invisible-to-the-eye gunge building up inside the knot that it expanded and pushed against the handle, eventually cracking it (the above was just the beginning). I've had at least four Omega handles ruined that way. (That obviously isn't going to happen with turned resin handles [but the damage to the bristles/hairs will be worse].)

Then (thanks to reading too much B&B), I discovered Citric Acid and started this thread:
Citric Acid for Hard Water Suffering Brits

A tiny amount of Citric Acid in my water has cured all my shaving brush (and many other) problems. Ratios of CA to water are discussed in the linked thread.*

* Notwithstanding negative posts in the above linked thread, I've been using CA religiously for nearly 4½ years now and it's a boon. :cornut:

Top Bottom