What's new

Dry and flaking skin under moustache

Hi

As a newbie to this moustache business, two months in, I've noticed that the skin underneath is flaking. Is this normal, should I be doing anything about it?

I regularly wash my moustache with a shampoo and it also gets a coating from the shaving brush particularly on the tips. I also comb it through daily.

I've had a 'stache for decades, and I recall the early days of wearing one (the first 25 years someone once told me...) I would constantly fiddle with it, either scratching at it when short or pulling/plucking at it when long...drove the LOTH nuts! I don't know how new/old your growth is, but that might be a factor.

More likely, it could be a soap residue...just be sure you rinse thoroughly after shampooing and shaving. I also do the same things you mentioned, and I don't have any dry/flaking skin.

Daily combing shouldn't be a problem, either -- unless the comb is unclean. Personally, I don't comb mine daily -- just when I trim it.

Finally, it could just be dry skin from the cold winter months. I'm not sure what to do about that...maybe beard oil? I don't use that, and it just doesn't appeal to me. I use a natural balm (Badger Balm) on my hands and lips, but I would not massage that into my 'stache!

Some random thoughts...

If you are pretty sure it's dry skin, some of the beard balm products would be better than a beard oil. Work a tiny amount of that into it in the morning, or at night before going to sleep. That should help moisturize the skin a lot, and hopefully help resolve that issue.

Thanks gents.

I'm pretty sure it is dry skin as its most noticeably at the philtrum rather that at the tips which get most of the lather.

I'd recommend that you go see a dermatologist.

Could be anything, but if it's something like eczema (it sounds like it) or other skin condition, you don't want to waste time and money going from one thing to another.

Dry flaking skin is not normal, and I've had an anchor type beard (and 'stache that goes with it) for many years, and I do get a bit of eczema in the beard (chin area) once in a blue moon... I just use a proper lotion for it or wash it with Head and Shoulders (shampoo and conditioner) and that helps prevent it a lot.

Sounds like dry or chapped skin to me. I've been having the same problem recently, but I point it to the runny nose and cold months.

Sounds like dry or chapped skin to me. I've been having the same problem recently, but I point it to the runny nose and cold months.

I think you might be right, weather is pretty cold over here and I'm just at the back end of a cold. Hopefully will disappear in time.

I thought you were talking dirty...I had to look that up! :blushing: So that's what it's called...

Philtrum isn't a dirty word, Shiloh. Crevice is a dirty word!

:001_smile Sorry couldn't help it, one of my favourite lines from Blackadder...

Bearded head, neck, and cheeks shaver here, and former sufferer of beardruff. I Couldn't wear dark shirts because the chest under my beard would be so embarrassing.
I finally did some research and asked some bearded friends, and the changes I made to my routine pretty much immediately cured my underbeard dryness.
First, I stopped using shampoo, which strips the natural oils from your facial hair. Good wash with water only and maybe weekly use of just conditioner. I still use shampoo occasionally when I'm really dirty or sometimes it is necessary after intimacy with the lady.
Second, I finally understand why people use beard oils. Much more healthy looking and feeling beard and skin. For the stache, I agree with Shave Rat. A beard balm, the tiniest amount, rubbed into your whiskers and the underlying skin would probably make all the difference.
I would avoid Honest Amish because it smells terrible, but there are plenty of other beard specific balms out there. Try etsy and choose a scent that sounds appealing, because it's gonna be right under your nose for a while. Cedar or sandalwood are good safe choices .

This sounds like dermatitis related to some sort of allergy. I am slightly allergic to eggs, soy, and foods in the night shade family (tomato, potato, eggplant, etc) When I eat those, I get minor dermatitis on my face and the dandruff on my head and in my goatee (well, van dyke) gets pretty bad - lasts for about a week after eating such foods. The skin under my moustache gets especially flaky/scaly. Watching my diet very closely has almost completely alleviated these symptoms. Could also be contact dermatitis with certain soaps, creams, aftershave, etc.

Top Bottom