What's new

Dropped razor damage

Oops, when getting some things out of the bathroom cupboard I managed to knock my razor on to the floor, it was folded away at the time, but it still chipped. I’m looking for advice, could this be honed out or not, and if it can what will it mean for the razor long term?

Thanks!

Attachments

• D778408F-5F0E-449B-9265-13FA2882548A.jpeg
    D778408F-5F0E-449B-9265-13FA2882548A.jpeg
    900.3 KB · Views: 139
It can definitely be honed out. You’ll loose a bevel’s worth of metal which shouldn’t be too much and you should be good to go for a very long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the razor from billyji1 so I was going to send it off to him to hone, however he doesn’t seem to have anything for sale at all at the moment so I can’t contact him on eBay. I’ve tried to contact him on a different forum, so I’ll see if he gets back to me. I wouldn’t know who else to use, a lot of the usual names on here are based in the US but I’m in the UK.

I was considering buying another razor to use while it’s being honed, I was going to use billyji1 as again I wouldn’t know where else to go in the uk for a shave ready vintage razor.

i would slightly reshape the point at that small area for the most part, maybe rehone to be sure it’s shaving well and wait for the regular maintenance to catch up with the profile. hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the advice and offer of repair, I managed to get in contact with Billy who sold me it so he’s going to repair it, I’ve also bought a spare for good measure!

Thanks for the advice and offer of repair, I managed to get in contact with Billy who sold me it so he’s going to repair it, I’ve also bought a spare for good measure!
Billy is the only shave ready vendor I buy from these days. I really like the edges he creates.

I would be very interested to hear how he takles a repair like that. Please let us know how it turns out once you have it back

whoever fixed it did a nice low impact job. i did an overlay for other new folks who may have similar questions on how to fix something like this without going to extreme.

proxy.php

Just got the razor back, here we go, what do you think? I’m really happy with it!:

proxy.php

proxy.php
Wow - nice. Confirms my suspicions that Billy is a masterful honer.

Nice chap as well when I've corresponded with him. The two razors I bought from him had the best, neatest edges I've come across outside of custom razor makers.

Oops, when getting some things out of the bathroom cupboard I managed to knock my razor on to the floor, it was folded away at the time, but it still chipped. I’m looking for advice, could this be honed out or not, and if it can what will it mean for the razor long term?

Thanks!

I bought a Red Injun 102 with a small nick in it.
After I honed the nick out
I liked it so much that I got another one without a nick in it.
The first one, turned out to be the one with the wider blade.

It subsequently occurred to me
that it might not really be all that uncommon
for somebody to nick a new razor
and then put it away forever.

I bought a CVHeljestrand with a small nick in it
and it is now definitely one of my best shavers.

The point is that your nicked razor is definitely worth
honing.

Last edited:
I bought a Red Injun 102 with a small nick in it.
After I honed the nick out
I liked it so much that I got another one without a nick in it.
The first one, turned out to be the one with the wider blade.

It subsequently occurred to me
that it might not really be all that uncommon
for somebody to nick a new razor
and then put it away forever.

I bought a CVHeljestrand with a small nick in it
and it is now definitely one of my best shavers.

The point is that your nicked razor is definitely worth
honing.
A couple of my favourite razors were ones that I bought with big chips out of them. They came up incredibly well.

I have one Dovo I dropped which had really wonky geometry when I bought it. Dropping it turned out to be the best thing that happened to it because when I breadknifed it I was able to straighten out all the problems with the original bevel. It shaves much better after the accident than it did before.

As long as the nick is not taking up much of the bevel thats true. Ive seen a lot of ads on the bay and other places with half the blade missing and they state that it needs a little honing........ Yah sure..... suspect many of the sellers either don't have a clue or don't bother.......
Some nicks don't need to be taken out completly, had a small nick/crack on one blade, took the nicked part out but left some of the crack that is almost invisible, as long as it is not a gap you should be fine.

As long as the nick is not taking up much of the bevel thats true. Ive seen a lot of ads on the bay and other places with half the blade missing and they state that it needs a little honing........ Yah sure..... suspect many of the sellers either don't have a clue or don't bother.......
Some nicks don't need to be taken out completly, had a small nick/crack on one blade, took the nicked part out but left some of the crack that is almost invisible, as long as it is not a gap you should be fine.
Needs a little honing :001_302:

Top Bottom