What's new

Dropped my Feather

I dropped my Feather razor and it fell like a stone. I ended up taking a nick out of the top plate. Doesn't affect the shave at all but it bothers me every time I pick it up. Is there a way to fix it?

Gee, that's quite a gouge. What did you drop it on? There is a way to burnish and buff it down, but it would entail a full machining of the head. Unless you're skilled in die grinding and machining I would't attempt it yourself. Maybe you could see if Feathers will part you out another head for a small fee? Sorry man, that sucks.

... Is there a way to fix it?

I cannot tell you how to fix that gouge, but can tell you for sure do not use a file. This razor is plated and if you attempt to remove material (with the hope to smooth it out) you will end up with a mess.

Best bet it would be to contact Feather and ask politely for their help. Attach pictures and describe the problem.

Just don't use a file.

Agreed that removing the plating is undesirable, but it might be the lesser of the available evils. A rough gouge like that will be a magnet for rust, no matter what grade of stainless Feather used. The problem is that the gouge will likely include tiny crevices where the passive film cannot form or will not protect the underlying metal. The plating has been damaged by the gouge already, and a smooth, unplated surface would be more corrosion-resistant than a rough one.

Maybe Feather will have something to suggest? Meanwhile you can minimize the risk of corrosion by rinsing it well after shaving, and keeping it dry in between.

My condolences on the dent of your razor. As others have suggested, I would make plan "A", contact Feather. I would be surprised if they did not have a good cap for a replacement.

Agreed that removing the plating is undesirable, but it might be the lesser of the available evils. A rough gouge like that will be a magnet for rust, no matter what grade of stainless Feather used. The problem is that the gouge will likely include tiny crevices where the passive film cannot form or will not protect the underlying metal. The plating has been damaged by the gouge already, and a smooth, unplated surface would be more corrosion-resistant than a rough one.

If the gouge were smoothed ... wouldn't plating edges still be left? If so, would the edges of the plating also act as a "crevice" and block the passive film?

If the gouge were smoothed ... wouldn't plating edges still be left? If so, would the edges of the plating also act as a "crevice" and block the passive film?

Your reasoning seems sound, but I am not sure how the change in material would affect things. The size of the crevice is also important: the Wikipedia link from my previous post has some details and references. Also any observant shaver would probably notice corrosion in time to do something about it. That could mean removing all the cap plating. But I would defer to advice from Feather, or failing that from someone with practical experience with crevice corrosion. I only know the theory.

Stainless steel does not require any plating. Do not confuse the finish with plating. That mate surface is a result of mechanical treatment.

To the OP, I know it hurts if you are a perfectionist just like myself. I wold leave it alone, you will get used to it. Besides, if you dropped it once, chances are you'll do it again.

Remove that damn rock or just move to another cave! :001_smile

Last edited:
Stainless steel does not require any plating. Do not confuse the finish with plating. That mate surface is a result of mechanical treatment.

I question this. I had a Feather and it appeared to have a coating of some sort (did not look like bare metal or a finish on the stainelss). In fact it looked defective and ended up returning it.

EDIT - searching the forum and there are posts confirming that Seki (Feather) replied to inquiries asking about coatings and it was confirmed that the razors have a chrome plating that is given a matte finish. Which to me explains why they have the look more of a brushed chrome Futur than a bead blasted SS. Feather would not reveal the process.

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help or not, probably not, but while I was changing grips the screwdriver slpped and I made a scratch on the back-strap of a NAA .22 magnum stainless steel revolver that had that kind of brushed surface. I used steel wool to get the scratch out, but then the finish was gone and it left it shiny. So before sending it off to the gunsmith I tried a little repair myself first. I used some 400 grit sand paper and just put it over the shiny area and tapped it lightly with a rubber mallet, moving the paper around a bit to make it look even. The results were remarkable and I can't even see the repair anymore. I don't know if the feather has that kind of bead blasted finish or if it is more of a brushed finish though.

I question this. I had a Feather and it appeared to have a coating of some sort (did not look like bare metal or a finish on the stainelss). In fact it looked defective and ended up returning it.
Hard to say based on the photos only. Could be also chemical treatment or even coating.

Thanks for all the replies. I contacted Feather -- hopefully it gets to someone who can help. We'll see what happens. I'll report back.

Top Bottom