What's new

Driving shoes

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
..any pair I wear at the moment, sneakers, loafers, dress shoes, Birkenstocks...in these days there is really no need for a special driving shoe, I guess there never was....unless you race.
The fad has faded, but just a few years ago they were called Frat Cleats. The frat guys at UT all wore them with plain front Bermudas and Vineyard Vines shirts. I liked that look.

The thing I like about driving shoes is two fold. One; the rockered heel makes for smoother application of the throttle, particularly when driving with a manual transmission. Two; at least for me using “regular” shoes the back of the shoe wears heavily. Using rockered heels, driving shoes, that doesn’t happen.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wear Vibram Five Fingers most of the time, and they suit me perfectly for driving shoes. Allow me to easily “wrap” the pedal as I call it. To me, it sure makes heel/toe easy. They don’t impede in a tight footwell, with closely set pedals.

They have a small footprint. :biggrin1:
I was thinking the same thing ... V5Fs would make good "driving shoes".

I often wear V5Fs, and like them ... and know they draw the "eww ick!" reaction from some people. (I remember riding in an elevator in a Vegas hotel and the woman in the elevator was pointing and exclaiming "I can see your toes!!" in a perplexed and negative manner. I didn't really feel like pointing out that she was ... wearing open toed sandals at the time. So I could see her toes as well.)

You can also check out the new shoe from Vibram, the "furoshiki".

1627260525211.png

1627260573996.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I thought they were more for look / style. Never had a pair. I’m remembering driving gloves also popular in the 70s. I never understood the need for those either.

I thought they were more for look / style. Never had a pair. I’m remembering driving gloves also popular in the 70s. I never understood the need for those either.
They protected your hands from cold weather when people drove open cars in cold weather (many decades ago back before cars had windows, roofs and good heaters). Also, they helped you have a better grip on those shiny wooden steering wheels.

1627296429064.png

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’m remembering driving gloves also popular in the 70s. I never understood the need for those either.
they helped you have a better grip on those shiny wooden steering wheels.

I find that a lot of the modern plastic steering wheels are just as slippery ... so I usually wear leather gloves when driving. But not special driving gloves, just good-fitting "Mechanix" leather gloves.

1627312996286.png

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I finally got a pair of Geier Gloves (they are actually a driving glove model) but I don’t use / need them for driving.
(they were affordable but took forever)
They protected your hands from cold weather when people drove open cars in cold weather (many decades ago back before cars had windows, roofs and good heaters). Also, they helped you have a better grip on those shiny wooden steering wheels.

View attachment 1302295
Yes and don’t forget the goggles and scarf. 😁

I was thinking the same thing ... V5Fs would make good "driving shoes".

I often wear V5Fs, and like them ... and know they draw the "eww ick!" reaction from some people. (I remember riding in an elevator in a Vegas hotel and the woman in the elevator was pointing and exclaiming "I can see your toes!!" in a perplexed and negative manner. I didn't really feel like pointing out that she was ... wearing open toed sandals at the time. So I could see her toes as well.)

You can also check out the new shoe from Vibram, the "furoshiki".

View attachment 1302182

View attachment 1302184

I’ve seen those. They are in the same
loin of thinking as fundoshi, which I do wear. I don’t think I would wear these furoshiki for much more than around the house, shop, or lawn. Willing to try them, though.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I’ve seen those. They are in the same
loin of thinking as fundoshi, which I do wear. I don’t think I would wear these furoshiki for much more than around the house, shop, or lawn. Willing to try them, though.
They are for laid back activities only, unlike the V5Fs

I bought a pair of driving shoes a couple of years ago. I think they are Sperry's? Anyway, very comfortable. I'm not sure I notice much difference when driving with them, however. I got them because 1) I needed new "brown" shoes, 2) I'm a race fan, and thought "why not try some drivers?, and 3) I thought I might be able to wear them with shorts as well as khakis. As it turns out, they look really goofy with socks, and I'm not a shoes without socks kinda guy. And a few times I've worn them out, I've been asked if I was wearing slippers. So, I doubt I'll buy them any more. Despite their comfort.

It depends what kind of driving you're doing and what kind of car you're in. My feet are big and the pedal box of my sports car is really narrow with tiny pedals so driving shoes are really helpful for heel-toeing and accurately placing my feet. Also helpful because the rounded heel is much more comfortable when you're doing a lot of footwork. If you're just cruising then you probably don't need them. I'm looking into picking up a pair of the newly released men's Rothy's soon.

Edit: Just saw you picked up an Alfa! Congrats! Which one did you go for?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Driving mocs are eminently practical footwear for driving. Easy on, easy off. Perfect for those summer days when you're kicking it barefoot poolside, or just with some flippy floppies, and need to run down to Quick-E Mart for a Corona resupply. Or in the winter when you're wearing heavy duty :censored:-kickers caked with mud and snow, you can throw those in the back and slip on the mocs.

I don't really care for the classic driving moc look with the upturned toe and cleats on the heal. But a nice camp moc fits the bill great.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I got a black pair at Banana Republic years ago. I never buy shoes outside of shoe stores, but these were very cheap (maybe $60 on sale) and quite soft, which works for me in summer shoes with no socks. They have been very comfortable, but I just use them as shoes as opposed to something special for driving. Just last week I picked up a light brown pair on sale at Sperry in Myrtle Beach on vacation. Again, very soft.

Top Bottom