What's new

Driving a manual transmission.your thoughts.your experiences.

Had a '53 Dodge 3/4 ton truck, four on the floor. First gear was only good for pulling stumps, never used it really. Had a '59 Chevy 1/2 ton truck, three on the tree, step side just like the picture. With both you turned the key "On" but pushed the starter on the floor with the toe of your right boot and kept the heel of the boot on the gas. Seriously. The '59 had vacuum drive for the windshield wipers. So if the RPMs were low (going up a hill) the wipers would accordingly go slower and slower. You had to downshift in a driving rain going up hill just so the windshield wipers would clear the windshield. And seat belts? What were those? In the case of both trucks the gas tank was placed standing up on its side right behind the seat. (Note location of the gas fill right by the door handle.) So in the event of a collision, well you would be mighty toasty if the tank ignited that was about six inches behind your spine.

1957-chevy-pickup-green.jpg

1st car I owned when I was 16 was a manual shift (1957 Jaguar XK-140-MC).

Have always had at least 1 manual shift (currently we have 4 stick shifts out of 7 autos)

This one is a 6 speed manual... It's the wife's car

proxy.php

Last time I was in Europe, it seemed that every car was a manual.

Well - at least here in Austria most cars are manual - I guess about 80-90%...
Some of the reasons might be higher fuel prices and the fact that around here automatic transmission usually is noticeable more expensive than the same car with manual. Also most cars are probably smaller than in the US - and about half of all the cars have diesel engines...

br,
tom

Some of the reasons might be higher fuel prices and the fact that around here automatic transmission usually is noticeable more expensive than the same car with manual.

In the US the manual transmission cars (besides the muscle/sport cars) are usually "bare bones" without any amenities. Until recently, many manual cars in the US still had window cranks.

EDIT: I was curious about what was available in manual from Ford (except for the Mustang). You can get a Fiesta (an economy car that comes as a sedan or a hatchback) in manual, but only in the most basic package for $13,660. If you get an upgrade package, an automatic transmission is mandatory. You can't even customize the manual transmission car, except to include the Smoker's Package and to get a keyless entry keypad. There is no option for power windows... the window cranks are standard and mandatory unless you want an automatic transmission.

The automatic transmission costs an additional $1000.

Similarly, the base model Focus comes with a manual transmission, and you get power front windows! However, like the Fiesta, you can't get an upgrade package.

Last time I was in Europe, it seemed that every car was a manual.

Manual is pretty much the standard here in the UK. The only default automatics are in the luxury saloon range - Jags, Mercedes, BMW, etc - even then they tend to be the sort with paddle shifters on the wheel.

I had an auto hire car for a few weeks. Spent the entire time fumbling for a non existent clutch and shifting the damn thing into park all the time :001_rolle. I guess you get used to it eventually.

In the US the manual transmission cars (besides the muscle/sport cars) are usually "bare bones" without any amenities. Until recently, many manual cars in the US still had window cranks.

EDIT: I was curious about what was available in manual from Ford (except for the Mustang). You can get a Fiesta (an economy car that comes as a sedan or a hatchback) in manual, but only in the most basic package for $13,660. If you get an upgrade package, an automatic transmission is mandatory. You can't even customize the manual transmission car, except to include the Smoker's Package and to get a keyless entry keypad. There is no option for power windows... the window cranks are standard and mandatory unless you want an automatic transmission.

The automatic transmission costs an additional $1000.

Similarly, the base model Focus comes with a manual transmission, and you get power front windows! However, like the Fiesta, you can't get an upgrade package.

Seems to be almost the opposite here - often automatic is only available with the more powerful engines and trims...

for example look at the Skoda Fabia (this is a quite popular economy car here), I choosed one of the better engines that is not underpowered :

Skoda Fabia 1,0 TSi 110HP Active (pretty basic version) manual : approx. € 11800 - no automatic version available
Skoda Fabia 1,0 TSi 110HP Style (one of the better equipped versions) manual: approx. € 13500
Skoda Fabia 1,0 TSi 110HP Style (same as amenities as above) automatic (Volkswagen DSG) : approx. € 15100

€ 1600 extra for the auto version, both "Style" versions have exactly the same amenities and same upgrades available...

br,
tom

The oddest manual shift I've driven was a 2 1/2 ton Toyota snub nose motor home.......

Wife and I honeymooned in New Zealand for 3 months. Rented an RV and traveled all over the islands.

Was a right hand drive, 5 speed manual shift ON THE COLUMN.... shifted with the left hand.

Driving a BIG truck on the wrong side of the road and shifting with the other hand took some time to get used to so we spent the first month out in the country side.

I never did get used to swerving to the left. Always swerved to the right into oncoming traffic but at least being in a big truck meant that other drivers got out of OUR way LOL

Started with a Ford Falcon with three on the tree. Owned MGs later. But now I am happy to let the car shift itself. Too much stop and go, too much traffic, and I have arthritis.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
There is nothing like driving a manual transmission with a sprained left ankle, in traffic, in a hilly area. This must have been the impetus for the development of the automatic transmission.

I learned on standard and my first four cars were standard. I like the additional control. As I moved to larger vehicles standard was no longer an option.

My folks mostly had automatics when I was growing up and learning to drive in the early 80's, but my dad did buy a Ford Maverick with 3 on the tree as a drive to work car, as well as an old Ford Fairlane with the same setup for my mother. The big difference was that the Maverick didn't have enough power to spin its wheels on ice while the Fairlane packed a peppy little 289 V8. I didn't drive either very much, but enough to get acquainted with them. Later I had a Ford Ranger with a 5-speed which I really enjoyed. Now I only get to enjoy shifting on the motorcycle.

Automatic transmissions have improved enough in recent years that the fuel economy argument for driving a stick is pretty much out the window. Your average or below average driver is actually going to get better mileage from the automatic.

Recently bought our son a 2014 Honda Accord sport with a six speed manual gearbox. Probably my favorite car I have purchased in quite a while. We got an excellent deal on it and it had less than 27k on the odo.

The kid loves it. It's black on black and he learned how to drive it relatively fast. Currently teaching my wife how to drive it and she is progressing well.

If it were just me in the household, I'd never buy an automatic or CVT again.

Top Bottom