What's new

Drive-ins

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I saw where Wallyworld is getting into the drive-in theater business.

I used to go to them quite a bit as a kid...the concession stand was fun. There is a screen here, but every since I've been here the parking lot has been nothing but overgrown weeds. The one in McAlester used to be open a few years ago and the screen is still up, but it closed and the multi screen shoe box one next to it is open. The screen looked in good shape last time I was by there.

I went to this one many times as a kid, and it's still open.

Anyone have any drive-ins still open in their area?

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Oh yes, we have one within about a 30 min drive. Field of Dreams Drive in.

Neat. I'm wondering about what I saw on the Admiral Twin sight said about "You have to have an FM radio to hear the sound" is about. The speakers should be on a post next to your car that you can put into your window.

Neat. I'm wondering about what I saw on the Admiral Twin sight said about "You have to have an FM radio to hear the sound" is about. The speakers should be on a post next to your car that you can put into your window.
They use a low power FM transmitter to broadcast the sound. Bring a portable boom box and you don't have to worry about running down the car battery. They don't have to maintain the window speakers any more and you can sit in lawn chairs in front of the car and listen to the sound on your radio.

I have a drive-in about 5 minutes from my house. They can't get new release movies right now. They are playing 20-40 year old movies every weekend.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Mike:
Unfortunately, I believe we no longer have 'any' operating drive-in's in the Bayou State. 😢

What I 'don't miss' about the drive-ins were the mosquitoes that got in the car through the 'little-tiny' slit(s) in your window(s) that you hung the speaker (yeah...I hated to sit on that side...even "Off" didn't do much to repel them)
proxy.php

But you know my friend, I too miss the drive-in's and;

1. The friends we 'snook-in' the trunk our cars.
proxy.php

2. The Concession Stands.
proxy.php

3. Also, loved the use of the radio...[tune-in to your local station], to hear the movie (goodbye 'skeeters' [I remembered they still had some old speakers for those nostalgic lovers]). :yesnod:

But, on another note during this COVID crisis, drive-in's are making a come back.

proxy.php
"Drive-in['s] were established so most of the cars today could see their real owners". E. Joseph Cossman

There's one about an hour from my house that's still open. I went there lots as a kid. I need to get over there again and see something with my kids, but all movies are trash now.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Safer to watch the movie from your own car than inside a packed theatre with no "social distancing".

Methinks the drive-in will make a comeback!

There were 2 here. One is now a drive in church, the other was turned into a flea market until a hurricane blew most of it down. Not sure what is there now.

Not one within 100 miles now.

Top Bottom