What's new

Drinking the bottom shelf

The only spirits I consume is whiskey, always neat or with a splash of water. That being said, I'm still a novice whiskey drinker. I prefer bourbons and so far Evan Williams 1783 is my favorite "bottom shelf". I have some Old Overholt Rye but how do you drink it neat, as I don't like the taste of it.

Gordons is not bottom shelf gin. Not even close. Fleishmans, Seagrams, Burnetts -- those I would grant you are bottom shelf, but Gordons?

Gordons is a quality, straight ahead classic London Gin. It makes a very good martini, without any of the overwhelmingly floral notes of say Sapphire (blech) or many of the other top-shelf gins. That's not to say there aren't better gins out there -- I am a big fan of Hendricks, Tanqueray 10, Old Tom, Plymouth, etc. And they have their places -- even on Martinis -- but there's not a much better "standard martini gin" than Gordons.

I should clarify the term "bottom shelf." By "bottom shelf" I meant "low price." Sometimes bottom shelf is surprisingly good. Personally, Gordon's is one of my favorite gins, regardless of price (for the same reasons you gave).

Vodka: Sobieski, Green Mark, Luksusowa, Costco Kirkland Brand, New Amsterdam vodka. My go to is usually Green Mark or Luksusowa. It used to be Sobieski, however they switched to plastic bottles. Just something about pouring a drink from a plastic bottle doesn't do it for me.

Bourbon: Benchmark, Evan Williams, Old Forrester 100 proof(pretty much Woodford Reserve just a little stronger proof) Evan Williams single barrel (best bargain for single barrel).

Gin: New Amsterdam. Im not really a gin guy but will usually have some New Amsterdam on hand.

Rum: Mount Gay

My stable isn't that big and therefore I don't generally have more than a few bottles on hand, almost all of which are towards the higher end. The one bottle that I do enjoy on occasion is Early Times Kentucky Whisky. Had a good deal of it in my younger days and still enjoy it, although not as often as once was.

Lighten up, Francis. No reason to be offended. "Bottom Shelf" is not necessarily a measure of quality but more often a measure of price. Gordon's is a cheap bottle. Gordon's is also a good gin. That is all.

No worries. Wasn't offended... or trying to come across as "Leave Gordon's alone!" guy. ;)
Just a mite too strident in my typing....

No worries. Wasn't offended... or trying to come across as "Leave Gordon's alone!" guy. ;)
Just a mite too strident in my typing....

Gordon's is also my pick for a "value" gin. I've noticed that most of the lower priced gins are 80 proof, whereas when you go higher up in price the proof also goes up, usually 94-96 proof.

It's truly bottom shelf if it only comes in plastic bottles no matter the size.

Vodka can be tricky because it's so driven by marketing. Many of the top shelf products are middling products at best with great marketing but there's also trashy vodka like smirnoff that's not top shelf but marketed above it's bottom shelf quality. There's also solid vodka like monopolowa that has virtually no marketing (at least in the US) but is one of the better vodkas out there at an extremely reasonable price.

Another problem with vodka is that there's a popular sentiment that it should be filtered down to flavorlessness to be good. That describes most of the top and mid shelf products. Vodka should be filtered for compounds that create unpleasant flavors and physical reactions but if the vodka is properly fermented it should not have to be stripped of all its flavor to remove all of the harsh flaws.

When I think of bottom shelf, I think back to my early twenties and the awful memories of Golden Wedding or Royal Reserve- Canadian Whiskies. That's bottom shelf... and there ain't nothing good about them at all.

Cmon, these are all mid shelf stuff IMO,
No bottom shelf can go without a mention to cheap Canadian whiskey IMO Canadian Hunter or Black Velvet would be on that list.
Your wording has me curious. Are you referring to Canadian whisky, in general, being bottom shelf or just the 2 listed as bottom shelf Canadian whiskies?

Last edited:
My favourite cheap spirit (but of really good quality) is the Šljivovica from Badel, Croatia. I don't know if it is available in the US but if you can find it, it is definitely worth a try!

Vodka:Sobieski, Pinnacle, Northern Peak, or Fris.

Irish Whiskey: Paddy.

Dan

Last edited:
Vodka: Svedka
Gin: Gordon's
Scotch Whisky: Teachers
Bourbon: Evan Williams Black Label
Tequila: Familia Camarena, El Jimador, Lunazul

As expected, there is always a lot of discussion about what is the best....(insert name here).

I am interested in hearing your suggestions for the best of the bottom shelf spirits.

Gin: Gordon's

What say you?

I agree. Being retired, I go thru at least 2/1.75L of gin a month. When money permits it's Beefeater, otherwise it's Gordon's. I've tried most gins and avoid any of that modern, flavored crap they sell. Gordon's is actually quite good and is about $10-15 less than Beefeaters. The only downside to Gordon is it's lesser alcohol content. The only other real gins I will buy from time to time are "City of London", "Brokers" & Bombay (Sapphire and regular).

Vodka: as bottom shelf as I go is Monoplowa or New Amsterdam
Bourbon: Jim Beam white label or Old Grand Dad Bonded
American Whiskey: George Dickel
Tequila: probably El Jimador

Never thought of George Dickel as bottom shelf. :001_unsur

[EDIT] Ok if you mean inexpensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom