What's new

Drinking local products?

I believe many of us are trying to support local businesses during the pandemic in the hope they make out the other side. As part of that, I picked up a local product from Bendt Distillery in Lewisville, TX where I've and my home for the past 25 years. They transitioned early during this thing to making nothing but hand sanitizer, and were giving it away for free to locals until they went viral on national news shows and really ramped up to supply local and Dallas area first responders after being funded by Mark Cuban and others. As a thank you, I purchased a couple bottles of their signature blended whiskey. I'm normally a Rye, Bourbon, or Irish drinker and not a fan of blends. Their Bendt No.5 blend is outstanding. Spicy with a bit of vanilla up front and a smokey finish. It's a blend of rye, bourbon, light whiskey, wheat whiskey, and malt whiskey.

What local product is everybody drinking?

proxy.php

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Can you buy direct from Bendt with them being closed to the public? I know Specs carry their stuff but I would rather cut out the middle man.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
We've picked up a little bit of local hard stuff, but we've mostly been all about local breweries during this time. In fact, I'm pretty sure we're picking up dinner and some suds from Saint Arnold, tonight.

The main local product here is Tiger beer and it is vile, so I won't be drinking that(!) I can drink a reasonable amount of most things but if I have 2 cans of Tiger I will have a raging headache next day.

Can you buy direct from Bendt with them being closed to the public? I know Specs carry their stuff but I would rather cut out the middle man.
I bought it at the distillery while they were still open. Their website says their products are available for purchase online or by delivery. Not sure if that helps. They recently posted on Facebook that their No.5 Blended Whiskey just took a Gold Medal at a recent spirits competition.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I bought it at the distillery while they were still open. Their website says their products are available for purchase online or by delivery. Not sure if that helps. They recently posted on Facebook that their No.5 Blended Whiskey just took a Gold Medal at a recent spirits competition.

I will have to check their site again. I am not much of a whiskey drinker, I prefer Scotch, but that Witherspoon Single Barrel Reserve has been on my want to try list.

I’ve been trying to buy local beers as much as possible, either from the breweries directly or at local liquor stores.
The hard part is that a lot of the breweries here in the LA/Ventura/OC area sell in 4-packs of pint cans, and they’re getting expensive. I’m not sure if I didn’t notice it before or if prices have changed in the current environment, but I was shocked to see 4-packs being no cheaper than $12 and some up close to $30! I’m in for a splurge every once in a while, but I have a hard time justifying that to myself for daily drinkers. I’ll continue to drink local when I can, but I still have to limit spending to reasonable amounts.

I will have to check their site again. I am not much of a whiskey drinker, I prefer Scotch, but that Witherspoon Single Barrel Reserve has been on my want to try list.
You might really enjoy their No.5 Blend. The finish is very Scotch-like. I've tried all their products through the years when they were Witherspoon and now Bendt. The blend is by far their best product, IMHO.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
A Dallas local beer I really like is Velvet Hammer brewed by the Peticolas Brewing Co.

Luckily, Columbus has a ton of local craft breweries and distilleries, so theres literally more local establishments that I really can afford to support or could consume enough product to support.
Ive kind of planned out which craft breweries Im going to support when I need to stock up and here, almost all of them will deliver to your door.
For the past month, Ive been drinking beer from Brewdog, a brewery that is based in Scotland but has a huge operation here in Ohio and that almost all of the beers that they sell in the US are made here.
Ive also bought some crowlers from a couple other local breweries: Nostalgia and Parson's North. Both have good beers but I dont think that I like crowlers because the beers all tasted kind of soapy, as compared to when the drank their beers fresh in the brewery.
Theres a couple others that I want to support but there will be plenty of time before this pandemic is over for that.

Luckily, Columbus has a ton of local craft breweries and distilleries, so theres literally more local establishments that I really can afford to support or could consume enough product to support.
Ive kind of planned out which craft breweries Im going to support when I need to stock up and here, almost all of them will deliver to your door.
For the past month, Ive been drinking beer from Brewdog, a brewery that is based in Scotland but has a huge operation here in Ohio and that almost all of the beers that they sell in the US are made here.
Ive also bought some crowlers from a couple other local breweries: Nostalgia and Parson's North. Both have good beers but I dont think that I like crowlers because the beers all tasted kind of soapy, as compared to when the drank their beers fresh in the brewery.
Theres a couple others that I want to support but there will be plenty of time before this pandemic is over for that.
I travel from DFW to Columbus quite often on business, and usually stay in the Dublin area. I always enjoy getting out and sampling different local beers in the area.

I travel from DFW to Columbus quite often on business, and usually stay in the Dublin area. I always enjoy getting out and sampling different local beers in the area.
Yeah, we've got a thriving craft beer scene in this town. Its pretty cool. I do the Columbus ale trail every year where they give you a book with all of the craft breweries in it and you buy a beer at each place, they stamp the book and then where you get all the stamps you turn in the book and get some kind of a prize.
Its fun but its kind of overwhelming because we've got something like 45 craft breweries now.

My effort to support local distillers comes in the form of Blue Line Gin, which is made up in Lake Placid, NY -

blue-line-gin.jpg

This is an excellent gin whose hint of young White Pine really compliments the juniper and other botanicals in the mix.

Tim

I have received a couple of mixed cases from Dunkerton's cider in Cheltenham, a few miles away. Good stuff but strong!

Gareth

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Bowman Brothers Small Batch Virginia Straight Bourbon Whiskey, copper distilled in beautiful Fredericksburg, Virginia.
52A706E8-F505-4C31-B185-DE7DE26BDB2E.jpeg

A little bourbon and journaling on a delightfully breezy spring afternoon...

Top Bottom