What's new

Drinking Coffee in the Evening

I am constant drinker of coffee (4-5 per day and under 30 too ;) ). Mostly espresso (Italian traditional style, not hipster) and I can usually go straight to bed. However if any of you are from Montreal and have been to Cafe Italia, this is the only coffee in the world that will keep me up all night. I am not sure what they put in it but it is definitely special.

I am constant drinker of coffee (4-5 per day and under 30 too ;) ). Mostly espresso (Italian traditional style, not hipster) and I can usually go straight to bed. However if any of you are from Montreal and have been to Cafe Italia, this is the only coffee in the world that will keep me up all night. I am not sure what they put in it but it is definitely special.

Interesting. You should ask them.

I was not sure what you meant by Italian style vs hipster. Are you referring to distinction expressed in this article: Whose Espresso Is Better: Third-Wave Cafés or Traditional Italian Espresso Bars?

My guess is that there is a lot of Robusta in that up-all-night coffee. Some of it has a lot more caffeine that Arabica.

I am a caffeine junkie, addicted through and through. I can't sleep without dosing myself.

But I just need a small fix to sleep, too much and it's no bueno.

I'm over 30, btw.

my wife and I are in our 50's...errr.. I mean she is 25 whew:lol:. I drink 1-2 cups a day, she drinks 6-8 pots, yes I said pots, a day at all hours, day and night and she sleeps like a baby. I think she has coffee in place of blood

I drink a pot in the morning and a pot in the evening. I generally go to bed between 9:00 - 10:00 PM (and wake-up at 4:30 AM)
Always freshly ground coffee beans, full bodied and flavored. Rich in caffeine. It doesn't seem to affect my sleep, but I just entered middle age. When I was younger I would not have been able to get to sleep as early. I can literally finish a cup right before bed and pass out. I use artificial sweetener (being a diabetic). No sugar rush.

my wife and I are in our 50's...errr.. I mean she is 25 whew:lol:. I drink 1-2 cups a day, she drinks 6-8 pots, yes I said pots, a day at all hours, day and night and she sleeps like a baby. I think she has coffee in place of blood

Damn did I read that right? 6-8 Pots that's a lot. Does she drink the same brand coffee all the time or different ones?

Damn did I read that right? 6-8 Pots that's a lot. Does she drink the same brand coffee all the time or different ones?

Yes, you read that right, at least that much, it is really the only thing she drinks. No she has varied tastes, but normally it is good ole Folgers, every once in awhile she will treat herself to some of the higher end stuff, but thankfully she does not have a coffee AD, or we would be in trouble

I was not sure what you meant by Italian style vs hipster. Are you referring to distinction expressed in this article: Whose Espresso Is Better: Third-Wave Cafés or Traditional Italian Espresso Bars?

My guess is that there is a lot of Robusta in that up-all-night coffee. Some of it has a lot more caffeine that Arabica.

That article nails it! But in my experience traditional Italian coffee has more of a rich dark chocolatey and nutty flavour while hipster coffee will have a fruity and even bitter flavour. If Italian coffee is Guiness, hipster coffee would be an IPA. Though both types of coffee can be truly exceptional (Referred to as a "God shot") the hipster ones are way harder to nail. Maybe it will come out perfect one out of every 10 shots while a traditional coffee will be good 9 times out of 10, otherwise they tend to be overly bitter and even sour.

It really depends on you but if I am paying for coffee I would rather not drink 9 so so coffees for one exceptional coffee and if I am making it at home I would rather not be having the same problem and playing with my settings constantly to fix it. Italian, simple and beautiful :).

Only time i drink coffee is after supper prepping for the daily crossword puzzle. No trouble falling asleep at bedtime but then it's usually another 7-9 hours before shutting down.
dave

Drinking a hot cup of coffee puts me right to sleep in the evening.

I guess I have built up an immunity to caffeine over the decades

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can drink it in the evening. I try to do decaf though.
I am switching to tea

$1016497_699695910150135_504533702023553353_n.jpg

I usually have a cup in the evening, brewed in an inexpensive (aka Ikea) french press, and half of it is mine, other half is the hubby's! I used to have issues sleeping, but we enjoy a nice dark roast in the evening which doesn't seem to cause any problems.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I guess we all change a bit as we get older. This question has come up before and I answered that I could not have coffee past noon. I now find that I can enjoy a double shot of espresso when I get home from work with no problem . . . in fact I probably need the little boost.

$fsm-coffee-inset.jpg

I am a caffeine junkie, addicted through and through. I can't sleep without dosing myself.

But I just need a small fix to sleep, too much and it's no bueno.

I'm over 30, btw.

+1, hate that morning tension-like headache I get if I don't get my caffeine late enough in the evening. Though I have switched to tea after 4pm.

Since I'm a addict (about 15 cups a day minimum), decaf doesn't quite cut it. I'll have my last cup around 9pm'ish. Usually no problems sleeping...and I'm 38 (since you asked)

I do prefer a lighter, slightly less potent brew though...

Top Bottom