What's new

Drink of the Night, Mon Aug 29-Sun Sep 4

Cuervo 1800 Reposada margaritas on the rocks at the restaurant, then things got a bit fuzzy, the wife drive home, ... What I remember was real good, though. :a8:

A lovely glass of 14 year old Scapa, single malt whiskey, from the islands of Orkney (with just a drop of water to bring out the full flavor and aroma). Wonderful notes of honey and lemon... truly a nectar of the gods.

RVG

:em2100: Manahattans on the House! Old Grandad, Martini & Rossi, Agnostura Bitters, two long-stemmed Maraschino Cherries and those addictive Waisabi-covered peas to munch on! (Damn they're hot, gotta have another Manahattan!)

More margaritas........damn im tired of those. Tommorow im going to hit up specs and get some more vodka, anyone have any suggestions as to what I should by with the vodka to make some good martinis or something.

gage0921 said:
More margaritas........damn im tired of those. Tommorow im going to hit up specs and get some more vodka, anyone have any suggestions as to what I should by with the vodka to make some good martinis or something.

Get a bottle of Shakers or Rain vodka. Both wonderful.

joel said:
Get a bottle of Shakers or Rain vodka. Both wonderful.

Beleive me I know what all the good vodkas are..... :biggrin: I just dont know what to mix them with besides cranberry or oarnge juice.

gage0921 said:
A bottle of Noilly Prat (green) Dry Vermouth and Ritz de Paris Escoffier Onions (For the Greatest Vodka Gibson) or some almond-stuffed Manzanilla Olives (For the Greatest Vodka Martini). Tell me when they're ready, I'll be over. :tongue_sm

guenron said:
A bottle of Noilly Prat (green) Dry Vermouth and Ritz de Paris Escoffier Onions (For the Greatest Vodka Gibson) or some almond-stuffed Manzanilla Olives (For the Greatest Vodka Martini). Tell me when they're ready, I'll be over. :tongue_sm

When you say green is it a green bottle? Shaken with ice? How many shots of each? Im treading into new territory here. :cool:

gage0921 said:
When you say green is it a green bottle? Shaken with ice? How many shots of each? Im treading into new territory here. :cool:
Green bottle for the dry vermouth. Prefer a shaker, depending upon size, 6 to 8 ice cubes, depending on your drinking pleasure a double shot of vodka (Stoly, is there any other?), and a dash (less than an 1/8 of a tspn of vermouth), shake 4 to 6 shakes and strain into chilled stemmed martini glass, add two olives or two onions for a martini or gibson... Replace Stoly with Bombay Sapphire for the real thing Martini! or if you are not afraid of getting a bit lubricated, A double of Bombay Sapphire, a double of Stoly, less than an 1/8 of a teaspoon of Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth, shake over ice, strain into chilled martini glass, two almond-stuffed olives, or two pimento-stuffed olives, or two black olives, or a twist of lemon rind for a PERFECT Martini... Do not use jalapeno-stuffed olives as you run the risk of drowning by thinking you are eating some kind of spicy dip! :w00t:

thanks ron............sounds interesting. Bombay saphire is gin right? Ive never had gin before. As far as another vodka other than stoly........ummmmmm no I dont think there is. Hoping I can pick up these olives in specs.

joel said:
You could make a white russian, or best yet - just a good vodka on the rocks.

White russians are good but there not an every day thing imo...........Call me a wuss but im not big on the alcohol straight unless its a shot and im just trying to do serious damage...lol

gage0921 said:
thanks ron............sounds interesting. Bombay saphire is gin right? Ive never had gin before. As far as another vodka other than stoly........ummmmmm no I dont think there is. Hoping I can pick up these olives in specs.
There is a large number of gins, but only one Bombay Sapphire! In the Sapphire Bottle or in your Martini!!!

Went out to dinner after my son's soccer practice. Figured it was time for a Manhattan since Ron has been planting the idea in my head. Had one made with Makers Mark bourbon. Oh, boy was that good. Liquor store here I come.... :biggrin:

Well hit specs today and picked up bottle of Noilly Prat and instead of the usual stoly I picked up some Monopolowa Potatoe vodka......came highly recomended and also a great price. I also picked up some almond stuffed olives and bombay saphire but put the bombay back down after seeing the humidor. I regret this as ive never had gin and im quite excited to try a real martini.

gage0921 said:
Just curious what you thought about these ideas............the last one seems simple. Just swish some vermouth around in the glass and dump it out then add the vodka and olive.

http://www.martinisonline.com/Recipe131.aspx
I've tried it. If you are making a vodka martini, I really thing you will enjoy the melding of flavors brought about by shaking over ice. As I noted in my thumbnail recipe, it doesn't take a lot of vermouth, but the ice and energy make a difference. If you don't have anywhere to go and nothing much to do but relax, why not try both methods? :jump:

Ok ron ive got the matinis going and im cooking NY strip so bring the extras........damn these things are good :biggrin: Ive got wassabi peas as well. :a17:

gage0921 said:
Ok ron ive got the martinis going and im cooking NY strip so bring the extras........damn these things are good :biggrin: Ive got wassabi peas as well. :a17:
You like sour cream with the baked spuds? The online recipe was way too high on vermouth... Never more than 1 part dry vermouth to 8 or 9 parts vodka. Actually, I do it by eye! :o16:

Top Bottom