What's new

Drills and drill bits for hard wood

If you don't decide to burn it out.... I think I'd try masonry bits. You'd have to use more downward pressure but they wouldn't dull so easily.
This past Saturday we got rid of an unwanted rock. This set up would have no trouble on that little stump.
20221001_150131.jpg

Eben Stone

Staff member

Eben Stone

Staff member
Ironwood?
Maybe. If it is, what are my options?

So far I haven't found anything useful, except: that its 2-3x harder than Oak, and that I shouldn't expect any surprises.

Well, I'm surprised I haven't been able to drill into this thing in a reasonable manner.

My next plan is to try SDS auger bits with my Milwaukee hammer drill.

Before you give up completely, you might want to try a couple of things (if you haven't already}.

First, drill a pilot hole, no larger than 1/8th inch. Probably best to use a brad point bit if you have one. The point of the screw on the auger bits is not as sharp as they should be, so they are splitting a path rather than cutting it. A pilot hole will relieve some of the pressure.

Second, use your drill at the slowest speed possible. The screw point should pull the auger into the work; but, if the drill spins, the screw will strip its bite and can't do its job.

Not sure if you already were aware of these, but thought I would mention them.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Before you give up completely, you might want to try a couple of things (if you haven't already}.

First, drill a pilot hole, no larger than 1/8th inch. Probably best to use a brad point bit if you have one. The point of the screw on the auger bits is not as sharp as they should be, so they are splitting a path rather than cutting it. A pilot hole will relieve some of the pressure.

Second, use your drill at the slowest speed possible. The screw point should pull the auger into the work; but, if the drill spins, the screw will strip its bite and can't do its job.

Not sure if you already were aware of these, but thought I would mention them.
Great advice, thanks.

What you describe is the problem exactly.

Previously all I had was the cordless drills and it took me 1 hour to drill 5 pilot holes, maybe 1/4 diameter (don't remember exactly), 3 inch deep. At that point I had used all my batteries and gave up.

On the second/latest attempt I didn't bother with the pilot holes. Honestly the need to drill pilot holes didn't even cross my mind this time around. The screw tips pulled the bit into the wood for the first 1/2 inch. Then I could feel a lot of feedback on the handle and the bits stopped cutting.

Next weekend I'll drill the pilot holes and try again.

If that doesn't do the trick, and you really need to remove it, you may want to consider a sharp chisel or gouge and a mallet.
Pare down along the grain as far as you can reach, working around the outside, and you might get it thin enough to break off.
(eta: If the core is tough, it could also be brittle.)

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
About 8 inches.
I’d try and get another 4-6 inches off of it, wrap the top and sides with landscaping fabric and zip-ties then bury it. You’ve basically ground the stump down just in a round about way. Stump grinding to below grade usually ensures the tree doesn’t grow back.

Eben Stone

Staff member
20221008_155725.jpg

20221008_155715.jpg

Finally, after 3 failed attempts, I was able to successfully drill some holes into it. I was finally able to drill some 1" diameter 4" deep holes reasonably easily.

Here is what I contribute to my success:

1) drilling many 3/8" inch diameter holes and filling with stump killer and waiting three weeks. This was a challenge, because using Milwaukee Red Helix Titanium twist bits with my 20v cordless Rockwell impact wrench was barely able to make a dent. I had to put my full weight into it and I was able to drill 3/8" inch diameter 1 inch deep holes, each one taking about 5-10 minutes.

2) using a 9 amp corded drill instead of cordless.

3) using auger bits instead of twist bits.

4) drilling 1/4" pilot holes for the auger bits.

5) using a steady slow speed with the auger bits.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

By the way, this experience has inspired me to acquire some cobalt twist bits.

Top Bottom