What's new

Drilling rigs

Is any one familiar with offshore drilling rigs?.........Im looking into a position on one and with my experience as a barge tankerman im not sure what I would qualify for:confused:

Hi Sean, I had a friend from college work on an offshore rig for the summer back in the early 80's. I think the rig was off of St. Charles Louisiana. He was a goffer and told me it was hard work. They had 14 hour shifts with very little time off. He did say the chow was decent though but you have to remember we were college kids. Good luck.

Sean, the company I work for had about 14 rigs in the gulf. I know the work if hard as hell, but well worth it. The pay is great!

The advantages are that you work X number of weeks on the rig, your room and board are paid for, then you have the same X number of weeks OFF. Pay, like I said is great.

The disadvantages I know of is the danger of working on a rig offshore. The loss of an appendage and/or any other part of your body happens frequently (I know a few people worked on rigs in the 70's and 80's and they are almost totaly deaf). But if you are quick on your feet, have common sense, use the protections GIVEN to you, you can work on there for a few years and retire, easily, with all of your body parts.

What company is it? I constantly see openings in our E & P business and if you like I can refer you to a position if/when we have one open.

That and/or a forest firefighter would have been my two choices for work but I got married and had kids and didn't think being away that long for either profession would be condusive to a marriage.

Just my .02 cents.

I was home for over a year on a head injury from a crane accident on a merchant ship so im well aware of the danger working long hours on sea are preety normal for me. The companies im looking into are Diamond and Pride offshore, im taking a huge paycut going into this industry but im trying to be home more often with my son. I have a couple interviews with petroleum inspection companies but im just wanting to look at all avenues I would qualify for.

Art.....feel free to reccomend me to any position you feel may be of interest to me, it would be much appreciated.

when i started taking high blood pressure medicine, my drill wasn't working too good. but the doctor gave me a new medicine called "mydixadrill" and it is really improved my drilling funtion.

nice thread and very discreetly titiled for those of us with this problem.

mark the shoeshine boy

mark the shoeshine boy said:
when i started taking high blood pressure medicine, my drill wasn't working too good. but the doctor gave me a new medicine called "mydixadrill" and it is really improved my drilling funtion.

nice thread and very discreetly titiled for those of us with this problem.

mark the shoeshine boy

Too bad he didn't prescripe a spelling capsule.

Randy

Top Bottom