What's new

Dressy Boot. Help should I pull the trigger

Hey guys so I'm in the market for a new pair of boots and am wanting something a little dressier than my current pair.
proxy.php
proxy.php

I was looking for a pair of super slim classic Chelsea boots and was thinking something in suede dark dark brown. Something along the lines of this, Home page : classic English shoes & boots. Been shopping around locally (I am pretty against buying clothes online. I need to wear it and see it on me. Especially shoes!) and have been having a hard time finding something I like. Everything is either big clunky soles like the Blundstone or terribly cheap quality from Aldo.

I want something good quality with a welted sole that I can have redone a couple years down the road and I'm not afraid to pay for it. I guess the biggest problem is trying to find this at a brick and mortar store.

Today I walked into a store and found these and they instantly caught my eye. They are truly one of a kind the store owner was telling me he only ordered 6 and they are custom to his specs. I wasn't liking them at first I didn't like the two tone but it's growing on me. And the leather toe will make them more durable. Just looking for some opinions on them the looks and practicality. What I would be able to wear them with etc.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

At $565 Canadian they're pretty steep but with a welted leather sole and quality upper I think it should be worth it. And I managed to talk him down to $440. Hoping they can last a long time but never had suede anybody with experience?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't look all that different from your current ones. A new pair of laces and a good wax on your old set could really spiff them up on pare to the new boot.

I don't mind those at all. As a Texan I prefer Lucchese boots. Lucchese Boots Official Website | Since 1883 | Lucchese - since 1883

+1 on these as they are among the nicest boots made in the country, but I can't wear them to the office much as even the ropers are pretty western. The Black Cherry ropers that Lucchese makes may be perfect for you though.

I have a couple of pairs like the below that I like to wear. I have bad ankles and wear a lot of boots to provide just a but more support, but I also work with clients and in offices, so I want something that is a stealth dress shoe. Lots of good options out there though. Good luck with your search!

proxy.php

They don't look all that different from your current ones. A new pair of laces and a good wax on your old set could really spiff them up on pare to the new boot.

Maybe I just am seeing them differently but I don't believe they are similar boots at all. Different cut and shape and the lack of laces makes a big difference too. And I don't dislike my current boots just looking for something different to add

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I wasn't liking them at first I didn't like the two tone but it's growing on me. And the leather toe will make them more durable. Just looking for some opinions on them the looks and practicality. What I would be able to wear them with etc.

I'm seeing some things that are not to my personal preference, but ... that may be different for you. (I'm not keen on zippers on dress boots, and I'm not keen on the leather/suede/fabric three-tone variations, in case you wonder ... but ... as I say those are personal preference things, not "bad" things per se.)

Obviously, these are (unlike your old pair) not boots for hard wearing or tramping around the woodland parks and such. They are for urban dressy occasions. It will be hard to find a suit that they'd look good with, although cream or sky-blue linen or cotton summer suits would work. They are more "dark jeans and blazer" boots for date night, going to an art gallery or meeting a cute girl for coffee ... or heck, just day-to-day around town buying groceries and what-not.

Maybe I just am seeing them differently but I don't believe they are similar boots at all. Different cut and shape and the lack of laces makes a big difference too. And I don't dislike my current boots just looking for something different to add

Sorry to WalterK, but ... I have to agree that the "new" boots are much different from the "old" ones. One is a casual/work/street boot in line with Iron Rangers or 1000 Mile Boots, and the other is "business-casual/clubbing/date-night" dressy. The cut/shape of the toe is a dead giveaway on the difference, for starters.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I don't tend to think of suede as it can tend to wear smooth in contact spots (are those new boots in the picture? They already look a little worn). Not my style - but that's neither hear nor there, as long as you like them.

..Sorry to WalterK, but ... I have to agree that the "new" boots are much different from the "old" ones. One is a casual/work/street boot in line with Iron Rangers or 1000 Mile Boots, and the other is "business-casual/clubbing/date-night" dressy. The cut/shape of the toe is a dead giveaway on the difference, for starters.

When I hear "dressy shoes" I think more of the classic kind one can wear with a suit and tie.

The distressed/aged look, to me anyways, relegates it to a casual shoe. They are a bit fancier/less sporty than the first ones, but a casual shoe none the less.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Check Sheplers online. The specialize in western boots, but have many styles. From affordable to really expensive.

I would say the ones in the photo in front of the mirror are Much dressier than the ones with laces. Not my style (neither are actually), the only boots I have that get any wear at all are a pair of cowboy boots, and they don't get worn often. I heard something once to the effect of if you don't love it in the store, you won't ever love it.

I'm seeing some things that are not to my personal preference, but ... that may be different for you. (I'm not keen on zippers on dress boots, and I'm not keen on the leather/suede/fabric three-tone variations, in case you wonder ... but ... as I say those are personal preference things, not "bad" things per se.)

That's what had me bothered as well I would be fine with 2 fabric variations if they didn't contrast so starkly but three on these ones is quite a bit. And the leather to suede transition they seem so completely off. This variation seem much more natural to me
proxy.php
or this Westlake - Hazel Calf / Forest Tweed

I guess I should clarify I am not looking for a complete dress boot like I would be comfortable to wear with a suit. For that there are a number of Jodhpur boots and some nice oxford boots I would choose. I am looking for a pair of boots to wear with nice denim on a day I wanted less of a utilitarian look then my current boots. Like you said a nice date night boot.

Unfortunately I don't wear suits as often as I once did but if I still were looking for a boot to wear with one I would be looking at something like
proxy.php

I don't tend to think of suede as it can tend to wear smooth in contact spots (are those new boots in the picture? They already look a little worn). Not my style - but that's neither hear nor there, as long as you like them.

I've never owned suede but have heard the same thing and it's put me on guard but I like the look of it with some shoes.

Sorry for the multiple posts haven't figured out how to quote multiple people at once from mobile.

I tried them on again today though and decided they aren't for me. Just can't see myself wearing it with enough stuff. I guess the hunt is still on. I see a lot I like online guess I might just have to take the gamble and try online

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
+1 on these as they are among the nicest boots made in the country, but I can't wear them to the office much as even the ropers are pretty western. The Black Cherry ropers that Lucchese makes may be perfect for you though.

I have a couple of pairs like the below that I like to wear. I have bad ankles and wear a lot of boots to provide just a but more support, but I also work with clients and in offices, so I want something that is a stealth dress shoe. Lots of good options out there though. Good luck with your search!

proxy.php

Which boots are those?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am looking for a pair of boots to wear with nice denim on a day I wanted less of a utilitarian look then my current boots. Like you said a nice date night boot

Well, that’s the kind of boot to look for there, but ... are these particular ones the ones for you?

Sorry for the multiple posts haven't figured out how to quote multiple people at once from mobile.

Highlight the text you want to quote, and then the two options ... “+quote” and “reply” ... appear. Obviously, click on “+quote”.

Well, that’s the kind of boot to look for there, but ... are these particular ones the ones for you?
”.

No I they are not. I think I'm gonna keep looking for something with less going on.

Neither boot (old one, one you're considering) is dressy... they're more casual, night out in jeans kind of boots.

That all said, I would not buy those boots based on the quality of stitching around the zippers. The cut on the leather seems to be subpar (look around the stitching on the zipper). The sole attachment to the welting is inconsistent as well (do I see a small separation around the toe?). Maybe they're going for more of a rustic look but I think they're charging more for the style than the quality.

At the price you're paying, you can get a custom fitted to your feet, hand made boot from Nick's, White's, Wesco...

For off the shelf and less money with decent (not great) construction, Thursday boot company ain't bad. But they're not Allen Edmonds/Alden.

Top Bottom